Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,012 members, 7,817,985 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:46 AM

Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future (55315 Views)

Sex For Mark: "OAU Female Student Should Stop Playing The Victim" - Man Says / Civil Servants Sending Their Children To Private Universities Are Corrupt – ASUU / Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by damocheezy(m): 4:29pm On Oct 05, 2015
The annoying thing is that those parents have robbed not just their children only but other children the admission their children had and would ignore later. Imagine the slot Dr Sid wasted in UI becoming a musician leaving behind his medical career. One child with passion for becoming a dentist was robbed because of Dr Sid that year quote me anywhere. Parents shouldn't be selfish please.
Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by lonelydora: 5:18pm On Oct 05, 2015
FANE4Naija:

Boss! Nice one. But engineering is the highest paying job in US, Canada and most of Europe.

But in Nigeria it depends on the branch of Engineering.
Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by lonelydora: 5:20pm On Oct 05, 2015
killercute16:
Why not Engineering?

Personal reason. I am an engineer though.
Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by killercute16(m): 5:28pm On Oct 05, 2015
lonelydora:

Personal reason. I am an engineer though.
Ok....the reason better worth it.

1 Like

Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by bagger293: 5:52pm On Oct 05, 2015
On point brother...That's the point..
einsteino:

You make it sound as though only successful people have a passion, there are tons of unsuccessful businessman, musicians, writers, programmers e.t.c who really had passion but just didn't succeed. I know some of my peers who are really passionate about their dreams and gave up a whole lot but are still no where, they may succeed and may not. Many folks like to tell the stories of the few who succeed, deliberately leaving out the multitude who didn't. This is the real world, it is a game of chance when it comes to certain things. some people rather take the less risky path that has a certain end. if there is anything about life, somethings can not be undone.

all am saying is, passion shouldn't be the only thing that guides your ambition. it is alright to go with your passion but make sure you are fully aware of the risks and probability of failure(not talking about grades, talking abt succeeding in life), if you still want it, have a backup plan that has a backup plan.

Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by digitsolution: 6:32pm On Oct 05, 2015
This has hindered a lot of destinies

1 Like

Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by willian10: 7:51pm On Oct 05, 2015
gamaliel121:

Nice write up bro....but in a country like nigeria were a lot of professions are not taking seriously. Do you think any parent would want their child to go into that profession?..most parents want their children to do certain courses because they know it's the surest way to earn money and be comfortable... I don't totally blame the parents for this issue.. Thanks!
This is the best comment I've seen so far
Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by Ndeewonu: 8:15pm On Oct 05, 2015
If...

Because of Whizkid, Davido, Don Jazzy, Flavour, Tuface, Tonto Dike, my child wants to be a musician...
Do you say I should grant him/her their request?

U de craze!

1 Like

Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by willian10: 8:24pm On Oct 05, 2015
Laitesmart:
Whether educated or not... This post or thread is directed to all parents and even the intending parents can learn one or two things from this while those who were victims may also share theire experiences.
I was in SS1 to introduce the newly promoted students to Physics as a subject... I felt there is the need for me to ask them why they chose the science department even when some of them know how demanding the department could be... I was taken aback with some of the response i got from some of the students. A female told me categorically that her passion is to become a writer in the nearest future as she love reading poems and Novel but her mother was against it. I asked her what was on her mother's mind when she said no and she told me that her mum told her emphatically that there is no Nurse in the family and as such she has to be a nurse to fulfil her mum's wish... I was left dumbfounded as the girl has no other option but to obey her 'dear mum'.
As if it wasnt enough, another told me he loves designing but his dad want him to be a Pilot and he doesnt have any option.

The matter above is somehow sensitive as even the so called educated fellows make the mistake of 'departmentalising' their kids if that Word exist in the english context.

The scenario reminded me of the movie 3 idiots that i watched back then and i had to prescribe it to the students to go watch with their parents...

Imagine what disastrous effect it would have had on their careers if MOHAMMAD ALI's father had forced him to be a musician and MICHEAL JACKSON's father had forced him to be a boxer...

I Shared my impression with a friend and he stated point blankly that this is one of the many reasons why our educational sector keeps falling beyond expectation... It isnt about what they want, rather, it is about what we the parents want.

Parents have totally forgotten that they are suppose to CHOOSE WITH their Children and Not CHOOSE FOR them when it comes to their careers...

We might be vastly experienced but we still need to respect the passion of our children...

Let the children know that they need to follow excellence and success will chase them pants down as stated by Ranchoddas Chalmadas Chanchad...

I have spoken...
Since he was 6, he likes to see anything under skirt, that he likes to be a IndecentStar in nearest future, he told his Dad about it...today now he's now a doctor in charge of delivery, he sees something under skirt almost everyday....Dream accomplished grin
Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by donodion(m): 9:06pm On Oct 05, 2015
Boss13:
People who have no knowledge about things, wake up, don't brush their teeth and start writing. Children do not really know what they want even Adults. It is a difficult thing. Only matured minds can actually sit down and determine what they truly want. It is important for Parents to guide their children on the path they should choose. Now what I would critique is the approach parents indulge. Some use force, mere folklores or insultive words. On the other hand, Children in their ignorant nature can choose some ridiculous fields probably being influenced by the media or friends.

I read something from Ngozi Okonjo Iweala. She said her dad always gives her economic books to read and made it exciting for her. Thus, her interest in economics grew. I also had a female friend, whose dad, in his effort to encourage his kids to enjoy maths, made it exciting by using word plays and games whilst promising them cash gifts if they could solve puzzles. All her sisters including herself are Engineers.

Parents can guide their children and assist them with making a good decision with career choices. It is not just by telling them, it is important to show and guide them. Draw their attention to role models, important people and I don't mean wizkid et al.

You do have a point, however experience have taught me,its much better to let the kids bring forth what they naturally have flair and passion for.Then encourage them to attend career guide counselling sessions.
Choosing careers and profession for children does not always turn out to be satisfying nor fulfilling.
Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by Nobody: 9:09pm On Oct 05, 2015
Laitesmart:
Let the children know that they need to follow excellence and success will chase them pants down as stated by Ranchoddas Chalmadas Chanchad...

You've spoken well bro but Ranchoddas chalmadas chanchad is the man that bought degree with impersonation while mr phunsku wangdu was the man that has passion for education

I have spoken...

1 Like

Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by webshopng1(m): 10:12pm On Oct 05, 2015
nice one

Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by Nobody: 10:15pm On Oct 05, 2015
menix:

With this crap u have written, no child will ever want to follow ur footstep talkless follow ur career instructions..
You that dont understand yourself how would you understand simple typo error and how your children would understand you?Let me know when you ga an understand ok......

peace.
Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by menix(m): 11:08pm On Oct 05, 2015
Mrcdorv:
You that dont understand yourself how would you understand simple typo error and how your children would understand you?Let me know when you ga an [color=#990000][/color]understand ok......

peace.

Ur case scares the devil...
Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by Nobody: 11:17pm On Oct 05, 2015
menix:

Ur case scares the devil...
You must be the devil then.......Can you now understand yourself......you taken paracetamol for another man`s headache.
Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by menix(m): 11:48pm On Oct 05, 2015
Mrcdorv:
You must be the devil then.......Can you now understand yourself......you taken paracetamol for another man`s headache.

Just scared at your literacy level nd what your offspring IQ will be..
Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by samplegirl(f): 12:01am On Oct 06, 2015
free2ryhme:
Many parents wants their kids to be professionals to sustain their future you wont blame them considering the current financial and economic challenges.

The op has a point but he missed a lot. A small boy that likes '' owo mi da'' language at Cele bus stop will be encouraged by the parents because that is his passion.
Educate the kids, correct them where they are going astray.
Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by Nobody: 12:30am On Oct 06, 2015
taiwolusol:

Confam cheesy
I no dey see your greeenlight again for nairaland, how far? Na so work grip you reach?
Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by ModiKen(m): 12:35am On Oct 06, 2015
I loved the arts but my mum saw it as a waste of time and Dad wanted me to study science. I never liked Maths, Physics or Chemistry but I did as they commanded.

Wrote WAEC, failed all science subjects....still managed to get five credits.

Wrote JAMB to get admitted to study Economics or Accounting so I could make my dad happy cos he worked in the Banking sector, but I failed woefully.

After staying at home for a while, I decided to pick a social science course (cos I added Government to my WAEC instead of Geography) and I passed JAMB immediately.

Ended up being in the top three in my class.

Today I'm working while studying for my Ph.D in same course I was admitted for my undergrad.

My younger brother was different as he is more strong-headed than me and he defied my dad's wish; went ahead to study social science striaght from S.S.1.

Went on to be the best in the social science class in his secondary school as well as his department in University.

My dad hasn't forgiven him till date for his defiance. grin

I have sworn that my kids would never experience what I went through, education wise.

They would focus on what they are good at and what they love with the proper guidiance from me and my wife.
Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by Nobody: 12:35am On Oct 06, 2015
shut:

Your dad wasn't wrong,I guess the pastor that did that deliverance wasn't strong enough.
I recommend you try another deliverance
cheesy
I like your weird crazy personality tho ( kiss
which other deliverance would you recommend for me? My dad had me take a 3-day all night special deliverance program at Mountain of Fire. sad

Thanks ma'am. I'm happy you think highly of my online personae. kiss
Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by NasNation(m): 12:48am On Oct 06, 2015
Laitesmart:
Whether educated or not... This post or thread is directed to all parents and even the intending parents can learn one or two things from this while those who were victims may also share theire experiences.
I was in SS1 to introduce the newly promoted students to Physics as a subject... I felt there is the need for me to ask them why they chose the science department even when some of them know how demanding the department could be... I was taken aback with some of the response i got from some of the students. A female told me categorically that her passion is to become a writer in the nearest future as she love reading poems and Novel but her mother was against it. I asked her what was on her mother's mind when she said no and she told me that her mum told her emphatically that there is no Nurse in the family and as such she has to be a nurse to fulfil her mum's wish... I was left dumbfounded as the girl has no other option but to obey her 'dear mum'.
As if it wasnt enough, another told me he loves designing but his dad want him to be a Pilot and he doesnt have any option.

The matter above is somehow sensitive as even the so called educated fellows make the mistake of 'departmentalising' their kids if that Word exist in the english context.

The scenario reminded me of the movie 3 idiots that i watched back then and i had to prescribe it to the students to go watch with their parents...

Imagine what disastrous effect it would have had on their careers if MOHAMMAD ALI's father had forced him to be a musician and MICHEAL JACKSON's father had forced him to be a boxer...

I Shared my impression with a friend and he stated point blankly that this is one of the many reasons why our educational sector keeps falling beyond expectation... It isnt about what they want, rather, it is about what we the parents want.

Parents have totally forgotten that they are suppose to CHOOSE WITH their Children and Not CHOOSE FOR them when it comes to their careers...

We might be vastly experienced but we still need to respect the passion of our children...

I have spoken...
Thnk u for quoting frm d movie(3 idiots).its d best pick up line 4 diz thread...nice one!
Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by mikolo80: 1:53am On Oct 06, 2015
montezz:

Lol...can't u b serious 4 once? Truckdriver ko Danfo driver ni!
what are you talking
me i wanted to be a police man
Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by montezz(f): 1:55am On Oct 06, 2015
mikolo80:
what are you talking me i wanted to be a police man
And now u r I trust ur parents wud v kicked agnst it. 4ni u!
Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by mikolo80: 2:29am On Oct 06, 2015
montezz:

And now u r I trust ur parents wud v kicked agnst it. 4ni u!
nope
popsi warned me never to repeat such in public again
now i am ....well i used to be jobless after failing at what he wanted for me
but getting it back together again
in fact i'm taking security guard license now
not police i know but
all nasecurity(maiguard) work
na packaging different
Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by montezz(f): 2:33am On Oct 06, 2015
mikolo80:
nope
popsi warned me never to repeat such in public again
now i am ....well i used to be jobless after failing at what he wanted for me
but getting it back together again
in fact i'm taking security guard license now
not police i know but
all nasecurity(maiguard) work
na packaging different
Na so o my broda. Dream na dream even if na 2b washman. I wish u ol d protectn agnst dm rifles.
Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by Nobody: 7:47am On Oct 06, 2015
menix:

Just scared at your literacy level nd what your offspring IQ will be..
Cont. showing your stupidity.....Let us know when you realy understand youself.
Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by mikolo80: 2:34pm On Oct 06, 2015
montezz:

Na so o my broda. Dream na dream even if na 2b washman. I wish u ol d protectn agnst dm rifles.
when bullet proof vest full ground
besides there are millionaire laundromat owners
same for garbage men, mechanics farmers
it's all about taking your dream to the max
Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by tpiander: 10:21pm On Oct 06, 2015
was the original post summarized?

what are the relevant points he or she wants us to take away from the post?
Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by tpiander: 10:22pm On Oct 06, 2015
NasNation:

Thnk u for quoting frm d movie(3 idiots).its d best pick up line 4 diz thread...nice one!

do you know any other movie besides that?

why is it a buzzword on nl now?
Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by PerlaNera: 7:18pm On Oct 07, 2015
Exactly. A child should be free to choose his path. Parents are you guide and support. Pursing a career that you don't like and gives you no joy is self live sentence. Do you what sets your heart
On fire.
Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by Nobody: 8:52pm On Mar 11, 2018
How To Graduate With First Class In Any University

Graduating from the university with a first class degree has been one of the impossible attainments for so many graduates over the years. This is often caused by the way they took their academics at the start of their first year. First class students will attest to the fact that anyone can graduate with the first class if the person chooses to do so and is determined to get it.

READ MORE https://eduguidehub.com/how-to-graduate-with-first-class-in-any-university/
Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by orevafavour: 1:37pm On Mar 12, 2018
Well said,i think parents should let their children go for their passion and guide them through in the right path,Meanwhile,Have you heard of StudyLocal? We offer Professional assistance to help you find the best Program for your Career. www.studylocal.ng.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Oko Polytechnic Rector Weeps As Corrupt Lecturer Is Exposed By ACTU (Photos) / Marewo Primary School In Gombe State (Pictures) / Unizik Jambites Lets Meet Here. For Admission Into Unizik

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.