Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,205 members, 7,818,701 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:06 PM

Questions To Ask Wedding Vendors Before Hiring Them Part 2 (makeup artist) - Events - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Events / Questions To Ask Wedding Vendors Before Hiring Them Part 2 (makeup artist) (1270 Views)

5 Critical Questions To Ask Your Event Planners Before Hiring / 7 Key Things To Consider Before Hiring A Dj For Your Wedding Occasion / The Pros And Cons Of Hiring A Wedding Planner (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Questions To Ask Wedding Vendors Before Hiring Them Part 2 (makeup artist) by LaHeiress(f): 8:27am On Oct 05, 2015
1. CAN THE CATERER PROVIDE REFERENCES FROM PREVIOUS CLIENTS?

References can tell you what you may not find out just by talking to the caterer, including what it's like to work with this company or individual. Get at least two references who had a similar number of wedding guests and reception menu style.

2. Is the caterer working any other weddings or events on the same weekend or same day?

Sometimes, caterers will stack two or more events onto the same day or weekend. This doesn't have to be a deal breaker by any means, but you want to be sure if the caterer does have other events and if your wedding will get the staff and attention it deserves.

3. Does the caterer specialize in certain types of food, such as local, ethnic or continental dishes? Does the caterer work with fresh, not frozen, food?

If you have a particular type of cuisine in mind, use a caterer who specializes in it. Not only will they have all the right resources, the caterer will also know how to properly prepare the food, meaning better, tastier results. Let's face it -- asking a local chef to create country-French cooking probably isn't going to end well.

4. Does the catered meal come full service?

This just means that the caterer, in addition to food preparation, will handle everything from the table settings to bar service and cleanup. What's included depends on the catering company and the packages they offer. If it isn't full service, you'll have to find (and pay) additional staff.

5. What's the average price range, and does the caterer offer packages? How many appetizer and entrée choices come with the package? Are costs itemized depending on the foods you choose, or does the caterer offer an all-inclusive rate?

A good chunk of your budget will go to catering, so take some time to carefully weigh your options when choosing a caterer.

Packages can save you some serious money, especially if you plan on having a lengthy guest list. Some catering packages include appetizers, salad, entrée and dessert (or cake), plus bar services in some cases.

If your caterer does offer multiple packages, ask for sample menus to determine which one works best for you.

6. When does the caterer need finalized choices?

Your caterer needs to know your menu choices by a certain date, so they'll have all the ingredients ready to go for the day of your wedding.

7. When will the tasting take place? Does the caterer offer tastings before being hired?

Reading reviews of a wedding caterer is one thing, but you'll need to taste the food yourself to be sure. Definitely opt to do it beforehand if possible it will allow you to make an informed decision.

8. Will the caterer provide the cutlery plates, napkins, charger plates – and are they extra charges?

If a caterer doesn't outfit their events with these necessary items and you want them, you'll have to rent them yourself, which can quickly add up to your budget. Even if a caterer does have them, ask to see them to make sure they're up to par. Also ask if it comes at an additional charge.

9. Will the caterer provide a waiters? How many are included in the package and what's the fee for additional waiters?

Top caterers say they always use their own serving personnel, even if the you want to provide them. They know the ins and outs of how the company operates, so they're better able to provide seamless service. You'll want about 2 waiters for every six tables for a sit-down meal.

10. What will the caterer and their staff wear?

You want to make sure the catering staff dresses appropriately for the tone and style of your wedding – if you're planning a formal black-tie wedding, you might not want waiters in polo shirts.

11. Will the caterer provide drinks, or do you need to handle the it separately?

Why you want to know: Most catering companies supply the drinks, but supplying it yourself can save you money.

12. How do delivery, setup and breakdown work? What does the caterer do and is there an additional fee? How much time will the caterer need to set up? When will the caterer need access to the wedding site?

You need these details in order to coordinate with your wedding venue and determine a time when your caterer can start setting up. You also need to know how much time the caterer needs for clean-up, because some venues may have a restriction on how late staff can stay. Meaning you'll have to pay the wedding venue extra fee for the extra time.

13. Where will the caterer prepare the food? Are there on-site facilities, Bride's parents house? Or the wedding venue will have to provide facilities for them?

If the caterer has to bring in equipment, there may be an additional fee. So before you decide on a company, make sure you know what type of facilities your wedding venue has and the potential obstacles this could pose for the type of caterer.

14. Will the caterer set out the wedding place cards and menus we created?

If the caterer says no, you'll need to enlist the help of your wedding planner, a family member or friend to deal with these wedding details. No matter who is putting them out, give them instructions (and a photo) of how you want them displayed at the wedding reception.

15. Who will oversee the event on the wedding day? Will the same caterer you worked with when planning also oversee meal service on the day? What will happen if he's sick or otherwise unable to be there?

Ideally, the person you worked with from the catering company throughout the planning process (and who best understands your needs) will be your wedding day contact. If this person isn't available, they should have a suitable replacement in mind from the company (ask to meet with this person too).

16. Does the caterer have extra charges, such as a security deposit (caution fee)?

Any extra charges from the caterer are going to affect your bottom line, so it's best to know ahead of time to plan for it.

17. How does the caterer arrange the food on the buffet or plate? Can you see photos of previous presentations from the caterer?

Presentation is everything, and even the most delectable dish can seem unappetizing if poorly presented by the caterer. You've put a lot of time and effort into all of your other wedding details— the food shouldn't be any different.

I hope this helps when selecting your wedding catering vendor.

For more tips, visit www.justbudgetweddings..com

Olamide~ The Heiress
08187003137 (WhatsApp only)
Re: Questions To Ask Wedding Vendors Before Hiring Them Part 2 (makeup artist) by LaHeiress(f): 12:15pm On Oct 06, 2015
Watch out for part two next week.

Till then, visit www.justbudgetweddings..com
Re: Questions To Ask Wedding Vendors Before Hiring Them Part 2 (makeup artist) by djkayzzy(m): 12:26am On Oct 07, 2015
Do you Need halls/Events Centres Anywhere in Lagos or Ogun State for your Next Events Such as WeddingCeremony,Birthday party,Get-together,Funeral Ceremony,Seminar/Meeting,Show/Concert,End of Year Party,Church/Mosque Program Or Any Social Gatherings,we have Various types of halls/Event Centres with capacity of your Choice anywhere in Lagos and Ogun State each hall/Event Centre Have full Stage instrument,AC,Security,Changing Room,TV Projector,full Parking Space,Table & Chairs for booking contact:- bronzedking.multimedia@gmail.com tel:-08064457240,08027203519.
Re: Questions To Ask Wedding Vendors Before Hiring Them Part 2 (makeup artist) by LaHeiress(f): 8:02am On Oct 14, 2015
The person you choose to provide your makeup services on the day of your wedding will likely be spending several hours with you and your bridal party. So it is important that you trust and like him or her.

Here is a list of questions that you should ask most of, if not all, based on your needs and circumstances, to ensure you’re hiring a professional who will provide the level of services you deserve on Your Day.

1) How do I book you for my wedding date? Do you require a deposit? What about a contract?

Understand what the artist requires to secure your date on her book. Sometimes the deposit will be nominal, but most will require 25 – 50% of the total package of services. And be sure to get it all in writing, with receipts for each payment. There should also be provisions made for unusual or unforeseen events like cancellation of the contract or illness on the wedding day. This gives you legal recourse to recover your funds if the artist does not provide the services as agreed.

2) Will it be YOU at my wedding or another artist? What happens if you can’t make it on my day?

The artist who does your Trial Run or Preview Session should be the artist who does your makeup on your wedding day. This is the person you’ve discussed the details of your wishes and developed a report with. Also ask what happens if that artist is unable to come on your wedding day.  

3) How many weddings have you done? Do you normally work with brides?

Just as in any profession, makeup artists can “specialize” in any number of areas. Those who work with brides exclusively will understand their needs better than an artist who works with runway models or for print advertising.

4) What is your background?  Where did you learn to apply makeup?

I do not believe that this is the most important question to ask, it should still be asked. After all, there are incredibly talented artists who have never set foot in a classroom! The artist’s portfolio or most recent work should weigh more heavily in your decision. But the answer to this question may give you insight into who this person is and whether you’ll “click” with them.

5) May I see your portfolio?

Her portfolio will give you a good indication of her versatility and style. Are all the faces made up the same way, or has she brought out the best in each face?

6) Do you have a website or blog?

This is a good indication of the artist’s level of professionalism and dedication to her career. You will probably gain your first impression of the artist from online media, and so it should be informative, complete and current. Any artist with photos of work she did in the 19th century on her site is not the artist you want on your wedding day.

7) May I call a few references?

This is probably the most forgotten or skipped step in hiring any wedding professional, not just makeup artists.  But hearing feedback from previous bridal clients ensures this artist is working regularly in the bridal field.

cool What do you charge?

This shouldn’t be the only criteria you look at before hiring an artist, it must be considered, of course! Ask about packages that fit the size of your bridal party or if there’s a price discount with a certain size group. Also ask what’s included in that rate, such as products for touch-ups or if she stays through the ceremony.

9) What size of bridal party do you accommodate? How long will it take to get makeup for my bridal party of <fill in the blank>?

If you have a large bridal party, this will be a very important question to ask. If you ceremony is at 11:00 AM and you have 8 bridesmaids, be prepared to be out of bed early that day. Most artists will need a minimum of 30 minutes with each bridesmaid, to as much as an hour with the bride. Make sure you carefully plan enough time on the wedding day so that preparations are not rushed.

10) Can you duplicate a makeup look from pictures in a magazine?

Not all artists are comfortable working from a picture, while others may insist you provide one. Just be sure the picture you choose is of a woman with similar bone structure and skin tone as yourself. Eye makeup styles that look great on large, almond-shaped eyes like Jackie Appiah’s will not look the same on smaller, round eyes like Genevieve.

11) What methods of payment do you accept?

Make sure that you have the funds available for her preferred payment method and get a receipt for every installment.

12) What kinds/brands of products do you use? Is this makeup good for pictures or photography?

You may not recognize the name brands used by pro artists, and that’s OK. What you’re really looking for is to exclude any artists who use one specific brand exclusively. As a professional who has used many, many brands, I can assure you that no single company does everything “right” for every person or situation. Select an artist who can change products to fit your needs and your skin.

13) How do I keep my makeup fresh for the whole day? How will the product wear? What about color-matched products to touch up with?

This is another area where choice of products is so important, and having an artist that can tailor those products to fit your needs and skin.  Professional products will stay fresh looking for many hours longer than most consumer-grade products. Many artists will also provide products for touch-ups at her cost or include it in her services.

14) I have skin allergies or severe acne. Can you work with me? Do you airbrush? Can you contour my face? How about covering blemishes or my tattoo? Do you apply false lashes? Do you do wedding hair?

Based on your particular needs, you may want to ask some or all of these questions and I’ve listed them here as a group.

15) Do you charge a travel or location fee? How far do you travel? What other travel-related expenses will I need to cover? What will be the total cost of the services I want?  

Many artists will offer to travel to your wedding location for your wedding day, you need to ask what the extra fee will cost but for your trial run, you may be required to travel to their studio or salon.

16) What happens at the Trial Run or Preview Session? Do I come to you for this appointment? How much is the Trial or is it included in your services? How long will the Trial Run take? What is included in the Trial Run?

The Trial Run or Preview Session is so important to ensure that the makeup your artist provides on Your Day is everything that you want.  It’s a good idea to take a camera with you to preserve the look she creates for you.

17) On my wedding day, do I come to you, or do you travel to my venue (or where I’m getting dressed)?

18) Do you sell cosmetic products? Will my bridal party hear a sales pitch on my wedding day?

Is she an artist or a sales person? On your wedding day, do you really want to hear a sales pitch, or have your bridal party surprised by one? In my opinion, that’s not only unprofessional, but also rude.

19) How many events will you work on my wedding day?

This is often an overlooked, yet crucial, question to ask before booking. If preparations on The Day don’t go quite as planned and run late, you need to know that your makeup artist will not be leaving before all the bridesmaids are done, just because she has another wedding that day. You also want to ensure you won’t be the third bridal party s GBhe’s worked for that day and arriving at your venue with dirty equipment and physically tired. Keep in mind, though, that an artist who works this way may also have a minimum booking requirement, especially on weekends or for in-demand dates.

I hope you find these tips useful. Good luck!
Re: Questions To Ask Wedding Vendors Before Hiring Them Part 2 (makeup artist) by LaHeiress(f): 12:40pm On Oct 14, 2015
Watch out for part 3 next week. Until then, you can visit my blog for more on budget weddings

www.justbudgetweddings.com

Thank you.

Olamide~ The Heiress

(1) (Reply)

Magnates Pavilion Event Centre / Need Cars For Rent / Small Chops, Chapman For Any Event.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.