Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,759 members, 7,809,924 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:18 PM

Strutting Tom, Running Hen - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Strutting Tom, Running Hen (2464 Views)

Wonders! See The Size Of Egg Laid By A Hen Recently. / My Hen Hatched Yesterday And Died Today Left With Only The Chicks (picture) / This Hen Lays Strange Eggs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Strutting Tom, Running Hen by rastamouse: 4:11pm On Oct 05, 2015
This is too funny. Male turkeys are mostly gentle compared to their chicken counterparts. Those guys virtually rape their ladies all the time!

My 8 month old tom is gentle to a fault. He can strut all day and forget to eat. The hen are always hard to get. The only exception is when the hen are on heat. Any other day, the tom is left so horribly lonely that I feel for him.

There is a reason why the female turkeys will not want the tom to mate with her all the time. After each bout of sex, the female comes out worse. They are mostly left with messy scratches on the upper part of the body.

I don't have personal experience but I have met farmers who lost a hen or two after mating. This is due to the massive weight of the male. The weight can lead to internal injuries to the female leading to death.

The mating ritual of turkeys take quite a long time. However the actual intercourse is supposed to last for just a fraction of a second. This though is not always the case.

The male sometimes have a hard time positioning himself probably on the hen. This increases the time that the tom stays on the female. This can lead to suffocation.

Losing an adult turkey is one of the difficult times as a farmer. As much as possible,  try and keep an eye on the mating pairs to avoid unnecessary loss of flock.

http://turkeyview..com/2015/10/strutting-tom-running-hen.html?m=1

1 Like

Re: Strutting Tom, Running Hen by samshoz(m): 7:59pm On Oct 05, 2015
rastamouse:

http://turkeyview..com/2015/10/strutting-tom-running-hen.html?m=1
my Tom aint gentle, it chases me and my younger ones, i have to wooz a suma-tumbling to know the boss feeding it. Sometimes it tries to challenge me but i scare it or beat it till it runs into hiding.
Re: Strutting Tom, Running Hen by rastamouse: 8:39pm On Oct 05, 2015
samshoz:
my Tom aint gentle, it chases me and my younger ones, i have to wooz a suma-tumbling to know the boss feeding it. Sometimes it tries to challenge me but i scare it or beat it till it runs into hiding.

That is quite an aggressive one. A friend's tom was killed by a dog when the tom attacked the dog. Can you tell me more about your tom?
Re: Strutting Tom, Running Hen by samshoz(m): 7:39pm On Oct 06, 2015
rastamouse:

That is quite an aggressive one. A friend's tom was killed by a dog when the tom attacked the dog. Can you tell me more about your tom?
nothing much to say. Here is a pix of him.

Re: Strutting Tom, Running Hen by rastamouse: 8:18pm On Oct 06, 2015
Nice boy there. Do you have hens around it?

samshoz:
nothing much to say. Here is a pix of him.
Re: Strutting Tom, Running Hen by Roseey0(f): 8:51am On Oct 07, 2015
I have 3 tom with one hen. I don't know how to handle them now, their noise, am even scared they will suffocate the hen.

I was just rearing them for xmas meat, didn't really prepare for this mating, breeding, hatching and brooding.

Any help from here pls

1 Like

Re: Strutting Tom, Running Hen by rastamouse: 10:48am On Oct 07, 2015
Roseey0:
I have 3 tom with one hen. I don't know how to handle them now, their noise, am even scared they will suffocate the hen.

I was just rearing them for xmas meat, didn't really prepare for this mating, breeding, hatching and brooding.

Any help from here pls

Hi Rose. That is interesting. However 3 toms and a hen is not such a good combination. I will rather suggest that you take two toms away and they will do just fine.

Don't panic on breeding them.

Just subscribe to my threads as we go along and you will love the journey
Re: Strutting Tom, Running Hen by Roseey0(f): 11:05am On Oct 07, 2015
rastamouse:

Hi Rose. That is interesting. However 3 toms and a hen is not such a good combination. I will rather suggest that you take two toms away and they will do just fine.

Don't panic on breeding them.

Just subscribe to my threads as we go along and you will love the journey

Thank you.
I will separate them by the end of the day. What other steps should I take after the separation. I just watched a YouTube video of mating behavior of turkey, where they have to stand for sometime on the hen before copulating. My fear is that the tom is heavier than my hen and she's the only one I have. Pls advice.

1 Like

Re: Strutting Tom, Running Hen by rastamouse: 11:20am On Oct 07, 2015
Roseey0:

Thank you.
I will separate them by the end of the day. What other steps should I take after the separation. I just watched a YouTube video of mating behavior of turkey, where they have to stand for sometime on the hen before copulating. My fear is that the tom is heavier than my hen and she's the only one I have. Pls advice.

Yea Rose you are very right. The average male weight twice as much as the female. That is the challenge during mating. There are a few things you can do to help matters.

For a start, try and cover the claws of the tom. They can really cut deep into the hen. You should also be concerned with the mating time.

It's weird but the tom sometimes just climb on the hen and just stay there! No interest in mating at all! That is dangerous and you must get it off.

With regards to the separated toms, I will suggest that you sell them off if they are of age. If they are not, let them keep their distance from the other couple as much as possible.

Do the turkeys free roam?
Re: Strutting Tom, Running Hen by Roseey0(f): 11:25am On Oct 07, 2015
rastamouse:

Yea Rose you are very right. The average male weight twice as much as the female. That is the challenge during mating. There are a few things you can do to help matters.

For a start, try and cover the claws of the tom. They can really cut deep into the hen. You should also be concerned with the mating time.

It's weird but the tom sometimes just climb on the hen and just stay there! No interest in mating at all! That is dangerous and you must get it off.

With regards to the separated toms, I will suggest that you sell them off if they are of age. If they are not, let them keep their distance from the other couple as much as possible.

Do the turkeys free roam?
Yea. It does roam but the rain keeps them inside most of the time.

As for the other two tom, Xmas is almost here. They will be useful soon.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Strutting Tom, Running Hen by rastamouse: 11:31am On Oct 07, 2015
Roseey0:

Yea. It does roam but the rain keeps them inside most of the time.

As for the other two tom, Xmas is almost here. They will be useful soon.

Bet they will be cool .
Re: Strutting Tom, Running Hen by samshoz(m): 7:40pm On Oct 07, 2015
rastamouse:
Nice boy there. Do you have hens around it?

yes, its brooding already. I lost a hen 2 months ago while it was brooding, i still dnt know cause of death. I like that hen because it usually lays up to twelve eggs. But this layed abt 9. And i have been pondering wether or not to seperate hatched poult from hen, after reading your blogg, i decided am going to seperate them.

1 Like

Re: Strutting Tom, Running Hen by rastamouse: 8:10pm On Oct 07, 2015
samshoz:
yes, its brooding already. I lost a hen 2 months ago while it was brooding, i still dnt know cause of death. I like that hen because it usually lays up to twelve eggs. But this layed abt 9. And i have been pondering wether or not to seperate hatched poult from hen, after reading your blogg, i decided am going to seperate them.

Sorry about the loss. If necessary please remove any blocks which may prevent the hen from taking a break from the eggs. Prolonged brooding without a break can cause starvation and death. This happens when the hen broods indoors and can't get out.

Separating the poults from the hen was the best decision. But please keep close eye on them.
Re: Strutting Tom, Running Hen by samshoz(m): 2:37pm On Oct 14, 2015
I now force my hen to feed and drink. rastamouse: you need to educate us on candling you mentioned to us here.
Re: Strutting Tom, Running Hen by rastamouse: 3:09pm On Oct 14, 2015
samshoz:
I now force my hen to feed and drink. rastamouse: you need to educate us on candling you mentioned to us here.

Hi Sam....

I already started the candling series. In the fourth day now! Sorry you missed the threads....visit my site at https://turkeyview..com/ and get all the videos there. Don't forget to leave your comment

On nairaland the series are here https://www.nairaland.com/2657237/candling-turkey-eggs-videos

1 Like

Re: Strutting Tom, Running Hen by stanvesco(m): 5:53am On Oct 15, 2015
samshoz:
ur hen laid upto 12,bkos u allowed d eggs to accumulate,
mine lay upto 25 per hen,and i sell each fertile eggs for 100box....
Re: Strutting Tom, Running Hen by stanvesco(m): 5:59am On Oct 15, 2015
Roseey0:

Any help from here pls

3 toms,
i guess dey avnt goten to dir maximum size yet?
Do u av an alpha male amongst dem yet?

Av dey started mating yet,or fighting,or competing for ur single female?

Note dat turkeys are very hypertensive?
Re: Strutting Tom, Running Hen by stanvesco(m): 6:11am On Oct 15, 2015
@ rastamouse,
do u know of floatation technique to determine fertile eggs?

I kant clearly remenba evrytin,but weneva i took my eggs to d hatchery,

dey placed each eggs in water,
i cant clearly remenber how dey determine d viable eggs,
try google it,
it helped alot?

Bro hope u dey fry or cook your turkey eggs sometimes,
kai mehn,
dat tin is swit.
Broda,u making me wanna start my farm again o.

Did u name all ur birds?
I had 35birds in all,and each had a name?

Weneva i come bak home day all pratikaly came to greet me,
except d dominant male(yes o, i was d alpha male,and i made it clear to it,after kicking it off d females like 1milion times)
and doing artificial insemination.

I had dis whistling i normaly do ,dat makes all tom strut n gobble at 1ce,

hahahahahb,
raising dose birds was 1daful.

I intend raising ova 500 for december nxt year

1 Like

Re: Strutting Tom, Running Hen by rastamouse: 5:04am On Oct 16, 2015
stanvesco:
@ rastamouse,

try google it,
it helped alot?

kai mehn,
dat tin is swit.

Did u name all ur birds?

except d dominant male(yes o, i was d alpha male,and i made it clear to it,after kicking it off d females like 1milion times)

hahahahahb,

Wow that is cool. Get straight back in bro. Turkey farming is real fun. I will be showing the floatation procedure here as well
Re: Strutting Tom, Running Hen by pat077: 6:05pm On Oct 17, 2015
stanvesco:
@ rastamouse,

try google it,
it helped alot?

kai mehn,
dat tin is swit.

Did u name all ur birds?

hahahahahb,

how can one go about the artificial insemination?
Re: Strutting Tom, Running Hen by samshoz(m): 9:44am On Nov 14, 2015
I have questions to ask: Q1. Why does the hen not know when stop brooding? Mine keeps returning back to her nest even after taking away hatched eggs and none left. Q2: Why do poults not know how to start feeding after several days? I force feed mine, only the resilient ones survive.
Re: Strutting Tom, Running Hen by mrvitalis(m): 11:53pm On Nov 14, 2015
Please how much can I buy a big Tom of say 8 months

(1) (Reply)

My Cucumber Farming Journey / Can I Change My Names Online And Linked With My NIN / Cost Of Starting Up Ugu On 1 Hectre

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.