Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,247 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:12 AM

Could Nigeria Ever Adopt A Six-hour Working Day? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Could Nigeria Ever Adopt A Six-hour Working Day? (788 Views)

One Hour To Go Peeps. Are You Ready? ☺ #npowerng / The God Of Eleventh Hour In The Eleventh Month / Federal Government To Adopt New Job Creation Measures — Ngige (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Could Nigeria Ever Adopt A Six-hour Working Day? by tsticks(m): 11:03am On Oct 06, 2015
There is one thing about Nigerians that is known across the globe, and the thing is we love to work. Nigerians work really hard that they hardly find time to relax and socialize, as matter of fact average Nigerian see socializing and going on a vacation as a foreign idea.

In 2014 hundreds of Swedish workers were trialling a six-hour working day in the hopes that it will cut sick leave and save the country money. The 6 hours working day was intended as an experiment to evaluate if staff members will take fewer sick days and feel better mentally and physically after they’ve worked shorter days.

I feel one thing that is lacking in Nigeria is that though people work really hard but they don’t work smart. An average working hours in Nigeria is 8am – 5pm which approx. 9 hours. I believe if employee is truly working 9 hours in a day organizations will grow faster than imagined. I still feel the 9 hours is not a realistic time for an employee to work effectively.

A research was carried out somewhere among employees, and in the survey it was discovered that employees doesn’t start work immediately they get to work and they also learnt that employees work efficiently from the hours of 9am – 3pm, from that time downward productivity start declining and many other things start setting in like tiredness and all. However because the employee has agreed 9 hours with employers they are forced to stay back at the office till the stipulated time.

Another thing that is common in some organizations in Nigeria is that employers encouraged spending over time at work in as much as it won’t cost them extra pay. The question is how are they encouraging employees? When employers tend to appreciate employee that stays back at work than the one that leaves immediately it’s time they are telling the later that you are not taking your job serious your colleagues spend extra hours. Spending extra hours at work doesn’t make one employee more effective it might even mean insolence and mediocre approach to job.

Because of our doggedness as Nigerians, we’ve been able to adapt to any system, but i ask myself Could Nigeria Ever Adopt A Six-Hour Working Day? Well i won’t say it is not possible but it’s not realistic because even if Nigerian employees are allowed 6 hours to work it’s not certain that they will take their time to relax, rather they can engage in other extra-curricula activities or personal business.

Re: Could Nigeria Ever Adopt A Six-hour Working Day? by pinkiberry(m): 11:03am On Oct 06, 2015
no.
Re: Could Nigeria Ever Adopt A Six-hour Working Day? by datYoyo2000(m): 11:42am On Oct 06, 2015
Yes we can if we try.

I believe in the west some pple work 2 hours. Hmm?

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Customer Relations Officer Job At Pricewaterhousecoopers, Lagos / Techpoint.ng Is Looking For Creative Writers / Financial Analyst (not An Accountant)needed In A Financial Services Organization

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.