Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,765 members, 7,817,107 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:00 AM

Ben Carson Shares The Story Of How His Mother Taught Him The Value Of Reading - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Ben Carson Shares The Story Of How His Mother Taught Him The Value Of Reading (976 Views)

A Proud Teacher Shares The Best Waec Result Of His Student. / Friends Pour Water On Graduate And His Mother At UNILAG Convocation (Pics) / See What Happened To Conjoined Twins Separated By Ben Carson (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ben Carson Shares The Story Of How His Mother Taught Him The Value Of Reading by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:12pm On Oct 07, 2015
Ben Carson Shares The Incredible Story Of How His Illiterate Mother Taught Him The Value Of Reading
Posted Tuesday, October 6th 2015 @ 9am by @SeanHannity

Dr. Ben Carson has reached heights of academic success of which most can only dream. He attended Yale and the University of Michigan. At just 33 years of age, he became the youngest major division director in the history of Johns Hopkins Hospital.

But, Dr. Carson’s love for learning started with one of the most unlikely of people: his illiterate mother.

"She recognized that education was the great divide. If you have a great education it doesn’t matter what anyone says," Carson explained on Monday’s Sean Hannity Radio Show.

"She made me and my brother read books and give her written book reports," Carson went on to say. "We didn’t know she couldn’t read them."

So how exactly does a woman who cannot read grade her children’s book reports? According to Dr. Carson, she faked it.

“When we gave her the report she would say ‘tell me what it’s about,’” the retired pediatric neurosurgeon explained. “Then she would take it and put some marks and underlines in it and various things. And we would think she was reading them.”

"She absolutely refused to be a victim and she wouldn’t let us be victims either," Carson added.

Carson is currently running second in the national polls behind frontrunner Donald Trump.

Listen to Dr. Carson's amazing story:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6I8HM6W5-VM

Read more: http://www.hannity.com/articles/hanpr-election-493995/ben-carson-shares-the-incredible-story-14007718/#ixzz3ntoi0Jl6

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Ben Carson Shares The Story Of How His Mother Taught Him The Value Of Reading by midehi2(f): 5:14pm On Oct 07, 2015
yeah! one of my favourite book 'Think Big'
Re: Ben Carson Shares The Story Of How His Mother Taught Him The Value Of Reading by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:16pm On Oct 08, 2015
midehi2:

yeah! one of my favourite book 'Think Big'

I learnt that he just published a book about the American constitution. That would be a good read. smiley
Re: Ben Carson Shares The Story Of How His Mother Taught Him The Value Of Reading by midehi2(f): 12:38pm On Oct 08, 2015
OLAADEGBU:

I learnt that he just published a book about the American constitution. That would be a good read. smiley
ok....but have you read it
Re: Ben Carson Shares The Story Of How His Mother Taught Him The Value Of Reading by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:51pm On Oct 08, 2015
midehi2:

ok....but have you read it

Not yet. I only know of "Gifted hands". wink
Re: Ben Carson Shares The Story Of How His Mother Taught Him The Value Of Reading by midehi2(f): 12:57pm On Oct 08, 2015
OLAADEGBU:

Not yet. I only know of "Gifted hands". wink
ok
Re: Ben Carson Shares The Story Of How His Mother Taught Him The Value Of Reading by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:48pm On Oct 08, 2015
midehi2:

ok

The point of the OP is to show the value of reading especially at an early age. We need to train our children to imbibe the reading culture.
Re: Ben Carson Shares The Story Of How His Mother Taught Him The Value Of Reading by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:30pm On Oct 10, 2015
OLAADEGBU:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjkK4OcY7rQ

Ben and Candy Carson pen new book about the (American) Constitution

(1) (Reply)

Hope For A Zoologist In Nigeria / “When You Are Eating, You Don’t Talk” – Lai Mohammed / A Nigerian clinched best graduating student in a Ghana university(photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.