Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,231 members, 7,829,414 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 06:25 AM

A Novel I'm Writing: Love; Trials And Triumphs - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / A Novel I'm Writing: Love; Trials And Triumphs (990 Views)

The Brand Of Cain (A Complete Novel) / I'm Writing A Musical Movie / Excerpt From A Novel I'm Writing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Novel I'm Writing: Love; Trials And Triumphs by ttalks(m): 5:13pm On Apr 23, 2009
I've been writing this novel for quite a while now.I just want ur views on it.
I'll be posting it in bits:

Chapter one

Segun walked down the dusty road that led to the massive block of apartments where he lived. He was just on his way back from school. He was dressed in his school uniform which consisted of a white short sleeved shirt and navy blue trousers. His feet were shod in black sandals. He was in his first senior class; SS 1.

As he entered the compound where the apartments were located, the sound of little children making noise as they played reached him. Quite a number of children were playing a game of soccer in the middle of the block.

“Welcome brother Segun.” Some of them called.

He nodded at them and continued his way into the block. He went up a flight of stairs till he got to the top floor. Very soon he was entering the door to the apartment where he lived with his mother and father.

Segun was the only child of his parents. His father worked for the state government while his mother was a trader; she had a shop of her own within the city.

He looked around the apartment as he dropped his school bag on the floor. The sitting room was looking unkempt. His father’s books were scattered on the centre table while some of his mother’s wrappers and scarves lined the back of the couches.

Shaking his head, he quickly arranged the sitting room. He knew his parents had been in a hurry that morning as they rushed off to their different work places.
He then opened the refrigerator and brought out a dish containing some jollof rice and chicken. He quickly warmed it and soon enough he was having his lunch.

Later that night, as his parents were having their dinner, he asked his father,
“Dad, can I get the N5000 for the study package?”

His father continued eating his food without saying a word.

Segun looked at his mother. She shrugged and continued eating.

“Dad…” he began again.

“Don’t disturb me,” his dad snapped, “I don’t have that kind of money.”

Segun knew better than to repeat himself. He turned and went into his room. Sitting on his bed, he sighed. He knew he was going to face the wrath of his teachers the next day. Sighing again, he pulled off his clothes and dropped off to sleep with a heavy heart.
The following day found Segun stepping apprehensively into his class; SS 1A. His other classmates were already seated at their positions. He greeted some of his close friends in the class before he settled on his seat.
Positioned directly ahead of his seat was a seat where one of the prettiest girls in the class sat.
Chineye was her name. She was one of the most brilliant students in the class also and was the target of most of the boys’ desires. Most of the guys in the class and even in other classes wanted to go out with her.

At that moment she was looking very beautiful in her well pressed uniform and her super hair do.
She was laughing at something one of her friends had just said when her eye caught Segun’s.

He dropped his eyes and concentrated on offloading his school bag.

In a few minutes, the teacher in charge of the class came in.

The students got up in unison and greeted, “Good morning Mr. Williams.”

“Good morning,” he said, placing a file on a table, “Sit down.”

When they were all seated he then said,
“I trust you all came with your money for the study package. I’ll call your names through the register and as you hear your name, you come out with your money. Is that clear?”

“Yes sir.” They responded.

Segun’s heart started beating faster than usual.

Mr. Williams called out the names and students began filing out to pay the money and have their names ticked.

“Segun Adebayo.” The teacher called.

Segun got unsteadily to his feet and walked towards him.

“Where’s your money?” he asked

“Sir,” Segun said in a low voice, “I don’t have the money at the moment.”

“What?” Mr. Williams bellowed, getting to his feet.

The whole class became very quiet.

“I don’t have the money now.” Segun repeated.
“You were all given two weeks to get this information to your parents. You don’t have any excuse. Get down on your knees.” The teacher said in anger.

Segun moved to a corner in the class and knelt down with his head hanging low in embarrassment.

The teacher called out the remaining names and collected their money. He then came over to Segun.
“Get up.” He said.

Segun got up.

“Face the wall and place your hands on it. I’m going to give you ten strokes of the cane. Maybe that will help you to remember how serious I am about the money.” Mr. Williams said pulling out a long wooden cane.

Segun did as he was told. He winced as the cane landed on his back. There were gasps from his female class mates.

The cane landed continuously on his back until the tenth stroke finally swept across his back.

Segun gritted his teeth; holding back tears that threatened to force their way though his eyes.
“Now get back to your seat.” Mr. Williams yelled.

He walked slowly to his seat and sat down. His back smarted from the lashes he had just received and he couldn’t lean back on the seat. His head was down as he arranged his books in the compartment of the desk. His classmates around him whispered about what had happened making him feel more embarrassed.

Then the class teacher announced, “So I hope you all are ready for your classes today. I don’t want to hear any negative report about you today from your various subject teachers. Is that clear?”

“Yes, sir!”

Segun sighed and sat up. It was going to be a long day.

Later that day; at about 2:30pm, Segun was waiting at the bus stop beside his school to board a bus. Just then, a black Toyota Camry pulled to a stop in front of him.
The window on the passenger side slid down and Chineye’s head poked out.

“Hi, Segun. Would you like a ride?” she said.

Segun paused for about three seconds.
“Well?” she prompted.

“Er- I would like one. But I’m not sure if you’re going my way.” Segun said pulling his bag from his shoulder.

“I stay at Maryland and I think you stay somewhere around Palm Grove. I’ve seen you there once.” She said, smiling.

“Alright. Thanks.” He said and opened the back door and slid in.

Another of his classmates; Helen, Chineye’s close friend, was seated there too. She moved to the other end of the seat.

“Hi.” Segun said to her.

“Hello.” She said coolly and looked out her window side as the car moved off.

Segun settled into the seat and looked out his window.
Music was the only sound that was obvious in the car except for a few occasional remarks between Chineye and Helen.

After a long while, Chineye said,

“Segun, I’ve noticed that you’re always getting top scores in our physics assignments and tests.”
“Uh-hun?” Segun said.

Chineye turned in the front seat and faced him.

“I was wandering if you could tutor me,” she said, “I never seem to understand the process involved in all those physics crap and for now that is the only subject that is bothering me.”

Segun looked thoughtful for a moment. It really shocked him that she was asking him for help. Ever since he got into the senior class she had never for once spoken to him and neither had he to her. They had just been passing classmates. So it was taking him a lot to get used to her talking to him, not to talk of her seeking his help.

“Er-, I guess we can find a way to arrange that.” He said.

“That’s cool,” she said, “I’ll get back to you on that then.”

Very soon, the car pulled to a stop at palm grove bus stop.

“Thanks for the ride, Chineye.” Segun said as he opened the door and stepped out.

“You’re welcome.’ Chineye said, “Take care.”

“What are you doing talking to that guy? You know he’s a loser.” Helen said as the car pulled off.

“What is wrong in talking to him?” Chineye asked.

“He’s not in our level. You know he can’t fit in with the rest of us.” Helen said, “He can’t flow with the rest of us.”

“What makes you think so, Helen? He’s also very brilliant and sharp in class?”

“You’re not getting my point Chineye. I know he’s brilliant and all that but he still is not in our class. For instance, he can’t even come up with the money for his study package. You know those that we roll with are those who can meet up to any situation; thence making it possible for us to plan stuff to do together. You ought to know what I’m talking about.” Helen said.

Chineye was silent.

Segun was deep in thought as he maneuvered his way through the streets that led to his house.
He was still trying to understand why Chineye would single him out to ask for his help in academics. He wasn’t the only one who was good in physics in their class. And besides that, the kind of students whom which she associated with were those who felt they were in a level above others in terms of status; most especially financially.

All through the time they had been in class together there had never been any situation which had brought them close to even talking. Although; he would admit to himself, he was also struck by her good looks and more than often would imagine how it would be if she were his close friend. But he had not done more than imagine because he had always felt intimidated by her status and her close friends.

He was soon climbing up the stairs to his flat. As he turned to his right from the stair case, he came to a halt.

Standing in front of his flat was the land lord of the block of flats; Mr.Adegboyega.

Segun stared at him for a few seconds then walked slowly towards him. Mr.Adegboyega looked down at him with a heavy frown on his large face.

He was a very large man and he was dressed in purple lace native attire with his feet shod in black leather sandals.

“Good afternoon sir.” Segun said politely.

“Where are your parents?” he bellowed at Segun.

“They’re not yet back from work, sir.” He replied.

“When they get back from work, make sure you tell them that I was here and I want my rent money. I’m tired of the excuses they keep giving me. Is that clear?” the landlord shouted.

‘Yes, sir.” Segun said.

“Nonsense.” the landlord hissed and turned on his heels and walked away.

As Segun unlocked the door to the flat he noticed other people from other flats peeking from their doors trying to determine what the commotion was about.

He stepped into the house with a worried frown on his forehead. They had been owing rent for about four months and he wasn’t sure how his father planned on paying it

He dropped his bag on the dinning table and pulled out a chair. Sitting on it, he then pulled out some of his books to take care of some of his school work.
He wouldn’t bother himself with issues which belonged to his parents, he thought to himself. He would face his own problems.

That's about 11 pages from the novel.

What do you think so far?
Re: A Novel I'm Writing: Love; Trials And Triumphs by ttalks(m): 9:39pm On Apr 25, 2009
Decided to add some more stuff from the novel.

Here goes:

The following week found the students of the Brainard secondary school preparing for their inter-house sporting event. The students of the school belonged to four different houses namely: Unity, Peace, Charity, and Honor; popular expected virtues of a person. After school each day the students had to wait behind for four extra hours to practice at the school’s sports arena.
The arena was packed full with students and teachers, some doing some sport activity or the other while some watched and cheered.

Segun laced up his running shoes and got to his feet. He was kitted in his running wear; black top and black tights. He was about to run a hundred meter race and he had seven other guys to compete with.
He stretched out his legs and loosened his joints. He then noticed Chineye and Helen along with some boys standing together and chatting from the spectators stand.
Segun had been confused lately. Ever since the day Chineye had given him a ride she had not even looked at him or spoken to him. That had been practically a week ago.
He’d wondered if he had done anything to stop her from talking to him but he had come up short with any reason.The teacher in charge of the race blew sharply on his whistle. The athletes quickly positioned themselves on their lanes.
Segun was on the fifth lane.

“On your marks!”
They quickly got on their marks.

“Get set!!”

Segun got set. He was poised in that position for what seemed like a long time. His mind closed out every other sound and activity. The only thing his mind was open for was the teacher’s final call.

“Go!!!”

Like a bullet from a gun, he bolted forward. His mind was still closed out to everything as he ran.
After what seemed like a while, he became aware that he was in the lead with two other athletes on either side of him.
The finish line was just a few meters away. So, with a burst of raw energy, Segun increased his pace and pulled out from their middle and very soon he crossed the finish line a second and a half before the other two.

Segun came to a stop and tried to catch his breath amidst the cheers from the students.
A number of students came around him and congratulated him while the teacher in charge of unity house; which was Segun’s house, took down his name as one of the representatives for the house.

“That was a good run, Segun,” the teacher said, scribbling in his notebook, “You had a time of 9.85 seconds”
“Thank you sir.” Segun said.

As he went over to the seating point for participating athletes, he noticed Chineye staring at him from a spectators’ pew above him.

“Hi.” He called out to her.

“Hello Segun,” she replied with a smile, “That was an impressive run. I never knew you were good in running.”

“Well,” he said, “It’s just one of the things I’m good at.”

She smiled.
They were silent for a while. Then Segun said,

“I thought you said you would get in touch with me as regards the tutoring.”

“Yeah, I said so,” she said, “I’m still not ready yet. I’ll let you know when I am.”

“No problem.” He said as he sat down. “So, are you into any sport?”
“I’m afraid I’m not,” she said climbing over the pew to get to where he was, “The only thing I’m into is some sort of yoga. I do that on my own.”

She was really looking nice in her sport wear. She had on a lemon green halter top which stopped a few inches beneath her breasts showing off her smooth, flat stomach; and also had on bright green tights. Her feet were encased in leaf green sneakers.

“Wow,” Segun said as she sat down beside him, “That’s some wicked sport.”

Chineye laughed and playfully punched him on his right arm.

“So, what exactly gives you problem with physics?” Segun asked as he loosened the laces on his running shoes.

“Well…” she began and stopped when she heard her name being called from the spectators’ pew.

They both turned to see Helen and two other boys from their class beckoning to her.

“I think I’ve got to go now,” Chineye said, getting up, “We’ll talk some other time.”

“Ok. Take care.” Segun said as he watched her climb back into the pew to meet her friends.
He turned back to concentrate on his shoes. From the little he could observe, it was quite obvious that Chineye’s friends did not want her to spend much time with him.
He removed his shoes and stretched out his legs as he watched other athletes get set for their own sets of races.

Later on; at about 6:10pm, when most of the students where heading out of the school, Segun was leaving the sports arena. He had run and won two other races after the first one he had run, so he had become quite popular among the participants.
As he passed the block of classrooms on his way to the school gate, he noticed some sort of commotion going on in one of the junior classes.
From where he was he could notice that a group of boys had a girl in their midst and there was some tense conversation going on.
Just as he was wondering what could be going on, he noticed Helen and one of the boys from his class rushing off from one end of the block of classes with tense looks on their faces.
He wondered where Chineye was as she wasn’t with them.
He looked back at the class where the commotion was coming from and then noticed that Chineye was the girl in the midst of the boys.
He wondered what was happening. He looked around, noticing that there was hardly any one around. Most of the students had left, including the teachers.

It was then he heard a cry from Chineye. One of the boys had just slapped her.
Without any thought in his mind as regards what could be going on, he ran towards the classroom.
He burst through the door and came to a halt.
Chineye was doubled over on the floor with her hands to her stomach, and standing around her were the most feared SS3 boys in the school.
There were four of them in number. They were all looking mean and rough.

“What are you doing here?” one of them yelled at him, “Will you get out before I descend on you.”

Segun was rooted to the spot, not knowing what to do. He had his eyes on Chineye. She was slowly getting to her feet.
Just then one of the boys grabbed him by the arm and slammed him into the wall. A heavy slap exploded on his face immediately and before he could recover from that, a knee was driven heavily into his stomach.

He gasped and collapsed to the ground. A kick followed; exploding in his face.

“Stop it.” Chineye screamed and ran towards Segun, but a slap from another of the seniors propelled her backwards to crash into the desks in the class.

From his position on the floor, Segun saw this. It was then he knew he had to do something drastic.
The senior who was attacking him was coming towards him again. Moving as quickly and as lithely as a cat, Segun got to his feet and dived into the advancing senior.
His right shoulder slammed into his stomach, knocking the breath out of him. The force of his dive propelled the senior off his feet and Segun tossed him as far as he could away from him.
The senior flew across the room and crashed through the glass window into the grounds outside.

The remaining three seniors and Chineye were stunned at what had just happened and were still standing stupefied.
Segun seized the opportunity to grab Chineye by her hand, pull her to her feet, and dash out of the class with her before the seniors could realize what was happening.

As they burst out of the class, they noticed some security officials running towards them.
Segun turned back to see the remaining seniors jumping out the broken window to elude the security officials.

“Now what is going on here?” one of the security men asked stopping in front of them while the other three tried to see if they could apprehend the fleeing seniors.

Fifteen minutes later, Segun and Chineye were outside the school gate. They had explained the situation to the security officials before they had been let go. Unfortunately it hadn’t been possible to apprehend the seniors.
“Are you ok, Segun,” Chineye asked gingerly touching a sore spot on his face, “You took a foot in the face.”

“I’ll be fine,” Segun said, “How about you? What exactly put you in that situation?”

Chineye sighed and said, “Well, for a while now quite a number of male senior students; especially the final year students, have been trying to ask me out or want me to be their girlfriend. I’ve always found a way to politely decline their advances without incurring their wrath, but of recent these guys we just encountered had become insistent and quite violent in their advances. Every once in a while I receive a slap or two from them whenever I respond in the negative. This has been going on for quite a while but it only came to a head this evening. They were overly violent today; with the slaps and punches I got from them today.”

Segun listened in amazement.

“How come you didn’t report the situation to higher authorities?” he asked.

“I wanted to but they had threatened me with dire consequences if I did. Everybody knows how dangerous those guys are. Even as it is now, I know we’re both in trouble with them unless the school’s security can do something about them.” She said.

Segun was silent for a while.

Just then a navy blue Mercedes Benz jeep pulled to a stop in front of them.

“Guess you’d like a ride,” she said, “A driver is here for me.”

“Thanks.” Segun said.

They both entered the jeep and it pulled off.

They were both seated at the back seat of the vehicle as it maneuvered its way through the Lagos traffic. The air conditioner was quite cool; putting them at ease after their ordeal.

Chineye held Segun’s hand in hers. He looked at her in surprise.

“I believe I should say thank you for helping me out back then.” She said with a small smile on her lips as she looked at him.

Segun smiled and said, “Well, I couldn’t see such happening and not do anything.”

“Thank you very much,” she said; squeezing his hand affectionately, “I appreciate your effort.”

“Anytime.” He said.

Chineye sat back and looked at him silently for a while with a small smile playing on her lips.
Segun looked back at her and raised a questioning eyebrow.

She then laughed and said, “You know, Segun; I would never have believed you were this interesting if I hadn’t gotten to know you in this short while.”

“Interesting?” he said, “I never knew I was interesting. This is just who I am.”

“Exactly my point,” she continued, “You’ve always seemed so quiet that I never even guessed what one could expect from you.”

Segun smiled and looked out his side of the window.

They soon got to palm grove and the driver pulled to a stop at Segun’s request.

“Thanks again for the ride.” Segun said to her.

“Is your house far from the bus stop?” she asked.

“No, it isn’t,” he replied, “It’s a walking distance from here.”

“Ok then,” she said, “You can show the driver the way so we can drop you off there. I want to know your place so maybe I could come over during the weekend for the physics tutorials.”

Segun thought about this for a few seconds. “Ok.” He said.

In a few minutes he was getting down from the jeep with Chineye in front of the block of apartments.
There were quite a number of people from the block around; seating together, standing together or alone and also playing in groups, all in the wide frontage space of the block.
They all watched as Segun and Chineye spoke. It wasn’t everyday somebody with a jeep stopped at their block.

“My flat is at the top floor; the first one to the right from the stair case.” Segun said, pointing upwards.

He noticed his father looking down at them from the balcony.

“That’s my father up there.” He said, hoisting his bag on his shoulder.

Chineye looked up and waved at his father in greeting. He waved solemnly back at her.

“Ok then,” she said, jumping back into the jeep, “Will see you tomorrow.”

“Bye.” He said and waved as the jeep pulled off.

He then turned and let out a deep breath. Now it was time to face his father.

“Good evening, Dad.” He said when he got upstairs.

“How are you?” his dad asked, looking at him as he leaned against the balcony.

“I’m ok.” Segun replied.

Just then his dad noticed the swelling bruise on his face.

“What happened to your face?” he asked straightening up, “Did you get into a fight?”

Segun sighed, dropping his bag. “Actually, yes Dad.”

His father’s face clouded over.

“What have I said about you fighting? You know I’m against fighting in any way. Have you been disregarding what I’ve been saying to you?” he said in a slow angry tone.

“I haven’t been disregarding what you’ve been saying, Dad. But different situations require different responses. One can’t just have a stereotyped response to every situation.” Segun replied.

“And what’s that supposed to mean?” his dad asked; a grind to his tone.

Segun ran his hands through his hair. “Dad, you wouldn’t expect me to stand and do nothing if I was attacked. Obviously I would defend myself; especially if I know how.” He said.

His father looked at him silently for a few moments and then said, “In that case, highlight me on the situation that led to this bruise on your face and let’s see if you were justified in your fighting.”

Segun then told his father about the events of the evening involving his run in with the seniors.

“So she was the one who brought you home just now!!” his father said.

“Yes Dad.” Segun replied.

“And what made you feel that it was your business to interfere? Do you know what she might have been involved in to put her in such a situation?” his father asked.
“I didn’t think it mattered what she might have been involved in…….” Segun began, but his father cut him off saying,

“You didn’t think it mattered? How stupid could you be?”

“She was in trouble, Dad, and that was all that mattered.” Segun replied indignantly.

His father looked at him with anger smoldering in his face.

“Go inside before I loose my temper on you.” He said turning away.

Segun picked up his bag and went into the flat. He met his mother standing in the sitting room looking at him.

She motioned silently to him to go to his room. He nodded and did as she expected.

That's another bit for reading.
Some more would follow later.  wink
Re: A Novel I'm Writing: Love; Trials And Triumphs by Orikinla(m): 6:22pm On Apr 26, 2009
From what I have read, you will go very far if you continue like this.
You are good.
Re: A Novel I'm Writing: Love; Trials And Triumphs by sugabelle: 4:47am On Apr 30, 2009
"Posting it in bits?!" Brother, you've got a whole series going on! Seriously though, good stuff, I'm impressed!
Re: A Novel I'm Writing: Love; Trials And Triumphs by Chinwenita: 5:00pm On Apr 30, 2009
ttalks you tried as a beginner. You called it a novel, but it is still an ordinary story. What happened to your physical environment? It is the physical environment that gives a story live and makes it more creative. Drag us to more naratives too and we will be looking forward to getting your best.
Re: A Novel I'm Writing: Love; Trials And Triumphs by minute(f): 6:43pm On Apr 30, 2009
I like it. Please keep it going.
Re: A Novel I'm Writing: Love; Trials And Triumphs by ttalks(m): 3:31pm On May 03, 2009
Chinwenita:

ttalks you tried as a beginner. You called it a novel, but it is still an ordinary story. What happened to your physical environment? It is the physical environment that gives a story live and makes it more creative. Drag us to more naratives too and we will be looking forward to getting your best.

Hmmmm.
Re: A Novel I'm Writing: Love; Trials And Triumphs by ttalks(m): 3:35pm On May 03, 2009
I'm putting up another part of the novel this time; not the immediate continuation of the part I posted last, but a part further into the novel.

Enjoy!

It was a cold night. The wind swept gently round the environs of the City mall at Onikan, Lagos. The parking spaces of the complex were loaded with different vehicles of different brands and makes. Security officials and parking attendants moved about the complex making sure that areas of their respective fields were being adequately covered. Bus commuters passed and stopped close to the complex; dropping off some passengers and picking up new ones at the bus stop that was beside the race course complex. Some hawkers still moved about, selling their different wares to interested customers. It was about 9:30pm.

Just then, a rider on a power bike pulled into the city mall complex. He was given directions and he soon rolled the bike to a stop beside a navy blue Toyota avensis.
He switched off the engine and pulled off his helmet. The bike was a 2008 Honda interceptor base. It was metallic gray/silver all around and it was a very big bike.
The rider got off the bike and hung the helmet on it. He was a tall man; about six feet and three inches in height, very good looking also and he was dressed in a jet black t-shirt under a chocolate brown leather jacket over a deep blue jeans trouser. His feet were clad in deep brown loafers.
He removed the key from the ignition, stuffed it in his jeans pocket and then strode towards the entrance of the mall where some attractive female ushers were eagerly waiting to usher in guests.
He was soon in the mall and headed towards the hall where an end of year party for an organization; Global Incorporated, was holding. There were quite a number of people moving in and out of the hall. He strode in calmly and very soon was acknowledged by a number of people at the function.
He particularly got a lot of attention from the female crowd.
After greeting a vast number of people, he tried to locate a point where he could seat. Just then, he heard his name being called.
He turned and saw the managing director of the organization; standing with a group of men and a very attractive woman, beckoning to him.
He smiled and made his way towards them.
The managing director grabbed hold of his arm and said to the people around him,
“People, this is whom I’ve been talking to you about. Our chief programmer; Segun Adebayo. He’s in charge of all the programming and software we mete out to the public.”
“Nice to meet you all.” Segun said.

Immediately, the men in the group started asking Segun questions surrounding his work.

It had been twelve years since he was in his first senior secondary year. Now he was twenty-six years old and was the chief programmer at Global incorporated. The company was one of the leading companies in the country that created variety of computer technology based programs and software for different clients world wide. His position at the company had been a widely coveted position but he had stood out with a clear distinction when he had applied for the job alongside other prospective candidates. Also, he was the youngest among the top members of the organization.
The lady in the group that was talking to him was silent. She didn’t say anything. Instead she was admiring his looks.
She herself was very attractive. She was of average height and was dressed in a black form hugging sleeveless dress that accentuated all her features to perfection. Her feet were in black stiletto heeled sandals.
“Err- Segun,” Mr. Wilcox; the managing director, said, “This is Sandra Chukwu; she’s the head programmer at Multiplatforms incorporated. She’s the one I told you who would be working with you in producing the program for the security system for our new bank clients.”
Sandra extended her right hand in a dainty gesture towards him saying,
“It’s nice meeting you, Segun. I’ve heard about your work and I must say that I’m impressed.”
Segun clasped her hand in his and said, “Likewise.”
“Would you like to have a drink,” she said pulling him towards the bar point in the hall, “We could talk about our work plans as we get to know each other.”

Segun smiled as he went along with her. They got to the bar after he had shared a few greetings with some of his work colleagues on the way.
“So,” Sandra said as they both got drinks, “How do you find your work at Global?”
Segun leaned against the bar and took a sip of coca cola. He looked at the different people mixing about and socializing.
“The job is cool. Very promising and it does have wonderful benefits.” he said.
“Ah,” Sandra said with a coy smile, “Of course the benefits. Always the most fun part of any, job won’t you say?”
“If you say so.” Segun said.
“Yeah,” she said, “I do say so. The benefits of the job do match the input one puts into the job.”
“That’s true. But one can’t say it’s the same everywhere,” Segun said, “Some others are having it the other way round; more input, less benefits. We should consider ourselves lucky.”
Sandra smiled and nodded.
“So,” Segun said, “Let’s hear about you. What do I need to know about you?”
Sandra placed her glass on the bar top and leaned against it. She looked at him and then said,
“There’s nothing much to know, except that I work very hard and I also love to enjoy myself when I’m free.”
“Pretty concise,” Segun said, “But still not very enlightening.”
Sandra laughed and then said, “What exactly do you want to know? Ok, I have a boyfriend who usually fills up most of my free time. I also have quite a number of girlfriends whom I usually get naughty with once in a while, and generally I’m a fun loving person. But I don’t usually mix my work with anything else. My work is my work. So, there. Is that good enough for you?”
Segun chuckled and said, “Pretty good.”
Sandra made a face.
“I guess it would be fair that you share a bit about yourself too.” she said.
“Well,” he said, “I also enjoy my work very much. I always believe that every result is an ingredient for a greater result; therefore, I’m always pushing forward for much better concepts on any product that exists or which I come up with. Unlike you, I’m able to mix a bit of fun into my work period. The fun only gives me more inspiration to work. Or should I put it this way-, I could be in a state of work at any point in time. I have official working hours but beyond those, I still work; although not as precisely as my usual work time, but I still work. Mostly in my head and with any available computer at any point in time.”
Sandra took this in and then said,
“That’s impressive. But how about your personal life? Who’s that special girl in your life?”
Segun smiled again.
“Well, the truth is there isn’t any special girl in my life. I have quite a number of female friends but none has taken that particular position you’re referring to.” he said.
“I find that very hard to believe.” Sandra said.
“Hard to believe,” Segun said, “But true it is.”
Sandra looked at him oddly for a moment and then said,
“Whatever you say. After all, who am I to disbelieve you?”
Segun shrugged.
Just then, there was a call for every one to be seated for the event to kick off.
“Would you mind seating with me?” Sandra said, “We could talk some more.”
“I don’t mind.” Segun said.
They then made their way to a couple of seats.

Some hours later, at about 3am, Segun and Sandra dropped to their seats somewhat out of breath. They had been dancing for quite some time.
The event had gradually gone on for a while and had finally moved into the dance part.
“You’re quite a good dancer.” Segun said to her as he gradually caught his breath.
“Thanks,” she replied with a smile, “You’re not bad yourself.”
“It’s been quite a while since I came out for such a social event,” he said, “I hardly have the time or I’m instead doing some other thing to keep myself occupied.”
Sandra looked at him and laughed.
“So, you’re still trying to tell me that you hardly go out for social events like this?” she said.
“Exactly.” Segun replied.
Sandra shook her head and said, “You’re the first guy I would meet in this kind of circle that isn’t so much of a socialite.”
Segun smiled and said,
“I guess you definitely roll around some socialites then.”
“Sure,” she replied, “Besides, I have a boyfriend who is very much into social circles.”
Segun nodded.
“Guess I must be pretty boring company then.” he said.
“On the contrary, you aren’t.” she replied, “I find you to be an intriguing person. You seem to have something in you that creates some form of curiosity for me.”
“Wow,” Segun exclaimed, “That’s pretty deep.”
Sandra leaned back on her seat and crossed her legs.
“Just the truth.” she said.
Segun sighed and leaned back into his own seat.
“So, how are you getting home after this? Hope you came with some form of transport?” he asked, watching some other people still dancing.
“Yeah, I came with my car. I think I’ll be leaving at about 5:30am. So I can get home early and drop off to sleep.” she said.
“So,” Segun said, “I guess we’ll definitely be seeing on Monday so as to work on our schedule for the project.”
“I guess so.” she replied.
Segun then got to his feet and turned to her.
“You up for another dance?” he asked with his hand stretched towards her.
“Goodness me, no. So soon? I’m practically knocked out.” she replied.
Segun laughed.
“Well,” he said, “See you later.”
He then sauntered over to the dance floor and was soon dancing with one of the girls from his company.

Sandra watched him thoughtfully as he danced. He was quite an interesting person, she thought to herself.

(1) (Reply)

Why Is Project Writing Such A Big Problem Amongst Nigerian Students? / I Need A Publisher For My Book / Success Quotes And Sayings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.