Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,718 members, 7,831,256 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 04:16 PM

Fluctuating 'check Engine' Sign On 2003 Rav 4 - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Fluctuating 'check Engine' Sign On 2003 Rav 4 (838 Views)

Help With Gear Issue On 2003 Camry / ECU Needed For 2003 Rav 4 / My Observation On 2003 Honda Accord V6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fluctuating 'check Engine' Sign On 2003 Rav 4 by AmiLaHoit(f): 5:50am On Oct 09, 2015
My dear sabi people pls advice.
We just got a 2003 Rav4 was used on Wednesday from Lagos to d east. While almost home it started showing "Check Engine".
I have suggested to my hubby as per d norm I know, to change the engine oil and filter and then check d gear oil but there is the mentality everyone around us has that we shld use d car for a while before changing the oils as per American oil and that d 'check engine' sign is normally a false alarm in Rav4. When the car engine cools off the sign goes away and comes back when used for a while.
I am uncomfortable with the 'check engine' thing and intend to secretly go change the oil and filter and have d gear oi checked. Pls advice;

1. Do I change d oil to avoid engine knock?
2. What specific engine oil do I buy (Mobile XHP)?
3. What is the reason for the brief sound when a gear automatically changes?
Re: Fluctuating 'check Engine' Sign On 2003 Rav 4 by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:56am On Oct 09, 2015
AmiLaHoit:
My dear sabi people pls advice.
We just got a 2003 Rav4 was used on Wednesday from Lagos to d east. While almost home it started showing "Check Engine".
I have suggested to my hubby as per d norm I know, to change the engine oil and filter and then check d gear oil but there is the mentality everyone around us has that we shld use d car for a while before changing the oils as per American oil and that d 'check engine' sign is normally a false alarm in Rav4. When the car engine cools off the sign goes away and comes back when used for a while.
I am uncomfortable with the 'check engine' thing and intend to secretly go change the oil and filter and have d gear oi checked. Pls advice;

1. Do I change d oil to avoid engine knock?
2. What specific engine oil do I buy (Mobile XHP)?
3. What is the reason for the brief sound when a gear automatically changes?

Please do not do any thing secretly, you will just get into trouble.

Invest in a scanning device, or if in nnewi call Micheal on this thread https://www.nairaland.com/2642845/free-vehicle-scan-nnewi-anambra#up for a free scan

When you scan, it interprets the check engine code.

The engine oil in your vehicle has a lifespan, it could be in miles or time duration, look through the cars paperwork or stickers on the windshield you will find it.

Your vehicle is very notorious for transmission issues, I hope that's not the cause of the light.
Re: Fluctuating 'check Engine' Sign On 2003 Rav 4 by AmiLaHoit(f): 5:59am On Oct 09, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

Please do not do any thing secretly, you will just get into trouble.

Invest in a scanning device, or if in nnewi call Micheal on this thread for a free scan

When you scan, it interprets the check engine code.

The engine oil in your vehicle has a lifespan, it could be in miles or time duration, look through the cars paperwork or stickers on the windshield you will find it.

Unfortunately I am not at Nnewi but Abia. Will be back in Lagos in 2wks. Just scared of what may go wrong.
Heard engines are expensive when knocked cry
Re: Fluctuating 'check Engine' Sign On 2003 Rav 4 by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:09am On Oct 09, 2015
AmiLaHoit:

Unfortunately I am not at Nnewi but Abia. Will be back in Lagos in 2wks. Just scared of what may go wrong.

Full synthetic engine oil is. Between 7800 and 9000 for 4liters (mobil 5W30 or toyota 5W30) a good premium filter costs 2k (denso) an engine plus installation costs 1xx,000 naira
Re: Fluctuating 'check Engine' Sign On 2003 Rav 4 by DECOtech(m): 10:50am On Oct 09, 2015
AmiLaHoit:

Oga Gazzuzz, you no de remember me at all.

Op, What part of Abia? give me a call on 08030938491 for a scan.

I wld suggest an oil change to be on the safer side, that's if there's no way u can determine the time the car was last serviced.
Re: Fluctuating 'check Engine' Sign On 2003 Rav 4 by AmiLaHoit(f): 8:29pm On Oct 09, 2015
DECOtech:

Oga Gazzuzz, you no de remember me at all.

Op, What part of Abia? give me a call on 08030938491 for a scan.

I wld suggest an oil change to be on the safer side, that's if there's no way u can determine the time the car was last serviced.

Ok, thanks.
Will call u

(1) (Reply)

Need A Experience Golf 4 Mechanic / Check Out The 2017 Ford Explorer Platinum / Rear Wheel Hub For Toyota Matrix

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.