Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,166 members, 7,860,183 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 07:28 AM

1 In 6 Africans Suffer From Mental Disorder– WHO - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 1 In 6 Africans Suffer From Mental Disorder– WHO (688 Views)

I Have Ocd And Some Other Mental Disorder... I Hate Myself... Please Help... / 9,579 Lagosians Tested Positive To HIV In 6 Months - LSACA / One In Every Four Nigerian Has Mental Disorder - Dr. Vincent Udenze (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

1 In 6 Africans Suffer From Mental Disorder– WHO by tspun(m): 5:48am On Oct 10, 2015
The World Health Organisation’s (WHO) Regional Director for Africa, Dr Matshidiso Moeti, has disclosed that one out of every six people in Africa suffers from some form of mental disorder.

In a statement commemorating this year’s World Mental Health Day yesterday, Moeti said it was unfortunate that in the course of treatment, some of these patients are subjected to undignified treatment, such as being chained to trees or beds, locked in a cage, left without food for many hours, deprived from family support and inadequate personal hygiene.

“Mental health patients deserve respect and compassion as they cope with their disease, as it is expected of those who suffer from any other disease,” he said.

He state that this year’s theme- Dignity in Mental Hee- Dignity in Mental Health, draws attention to the crucial need to ensure that dignity is preserved in all aspects of mental health, ranging from care for patients to the attitudes of the general public.

Some countries in the African Region have implemented a range of measures to improve awareness, restore dignity, and access to mental health services at all levels of the health care system.

This includes revision of their mental health legislation in order to protect the rights and dignity of persons affected by the condition.

leadership.ng/news/466154/1-in-6-africans-suffer-from-mental-disorder-who
Re: 1 In 6 Africans Suffer From Mental Disorder– WHO by Fluidelvis(m): 6:00am On Oct 10, 2015
Must it all start with Africa and Africans undecided.. Wotabt the oda continents? If u see other races in der own countries, u go believe say some pple head "shake" pass our own angry angry angry
Re: 1 In 6 Africans Suffer From Mental Disorder– WHO by eyinjuege: 12:40pm On Oct 10, 2015
Fluidelvis:
Must it all start with Africa and Africans undecided.. Wotabt the oda continents? If u see other races in der own countries, u go believe say some pple head "shake" pass our own angry angry angry

The person that made the statement is the WHO regional director for AFRICA. He only has research data for Africa's statistics. It would be untoward of him to start talking about the research or conclusion for Europe. Those ones too have their own WHO regional director who should do that.
Re: 1 In 6 Africans Suffer From Mental Disorder– WHO by nzgal: 2:35pm On Oct 10, 2015
I actually support this WHO findings. Mental health disorders are many and varied. If one reflects on the behaviour of an average African, the conclusion - "e no well"
Re: 1 In 6 Africans Suffer From Mental Disorder– WHO by tspun(m): 11:35am On Oct 11, 2015
I equally dont doubt it, because i know poverty can make one suffers from some form of mental disorder.

(1) (Reply)

. / To Those That Have Experienced This! / Pls What Could Be Happening To Her?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.