Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,724 members, 7,809,757 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:21 PM

Google Acquires Youtube - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Google Acquires Youtube (3338 Views)

Heritage Bank Acquires Enterprise Bank / Oando Acquires Conocophillips For $1.5 Billion / AMCON Acquires N275b Bad Loans Of Zenon Oil, Geometric Power, Seawolf (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Google Acquires Youtube by mochafella(m): 9:58pm On Oct 09, 2006
Looks like Google is buying up Youtube

Google snaps up Youtube

I wonder if the copyright lawsuits will follow now that "Youtube" has deep pockets or if Goog will eventually kill it off and promote Google video instead.
Re: Google Acquires Youtube by Christino(m): 10:34am On Oct 10, 2006
Google Takes Over Youtube

Google buys You Tube: shocked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCVxQ_3Ejkg

hmnn, I reserve my comments! lipsrsealed
Re: Google Acquires Youtube by Grizzly(m): 3:41pm On Oct 10, 2006
HEard it was bought for over $1billion shocked
Re: Google Acquires Youtube by saintkola(m): 8:35pm On Oct 10, 2006
yeah, i saw it on CNN. just hope it doesnt have any adverse effect !
Re: Google Acquires Youtube by NSNA: 8:55pm On Oct 10, 2006
i saw the boys that created youtube, yeah they where smiling on cnn. money in the bag smiley
Re: Google Acquires Youtube by zebudaya(m): 9:26pm On Oct 10, 2006
oh boy men these guys carried an idea thats been around forever modified it, and then boom "money in the bank". I think, i have to figure out something real fast instead of kpaing myself with learning, memorizing and solving equations, I heard myspace sold for over 500 million dollars too. That's retirement and chasing chicks money wink
Re: Google Acquires Youtube by deji147(m): 10:32pm On Oct 10, 2006
Those dudes are in money man, and there are just in thier 20s.
Re: Google Acquires Youtube by hotangel2(f): 11:04pm On Oct 10, 2006
Those youtube guys are sellouts. Nonsense.!
Re: Google Acquires Youtube by Orikinla(m): 11:09pm On Oct 10, 2006
While you are still wondering I am already developing my own idea online that will sell for a billion dollars plus. grin

I just came online last year and I wonder what you Nigerian geeks have been doing online all these years?

Google was created less than ten years ago and their search engine has sold out. Now they have added YouTube to their mega success.

Ideas are selling more than crude oil and cell phones.

I am not going to be left out.

See what I said here http://www.webproworld.com/viewtopic.php?p=328420#328420
Re: Google Acquires Youtube by Oracle(m): 11:38pm On Oct 10, 2006
I saw your post GOD BLESS GOOGLE
I just hope it doesn't have any effect on Youtube coz i'm registered with youtube, the site is just great

Re: Google Acquires Youtube by tinard(m): 2:18am On Oct 11, 2006
yeah saw it good for those guys just goes to show that no idea is stupid.

My question to Seun is are there any big companies that'll be interested in buying your sit and also the You tube guys thanked all the contributors and i believe they even gave something to the main contributors to the site. What will be the gift to the main contributors to the site if you got paid or will you be a nif=gerian and just keep it to yoursellf.

Obviously i don't speak for myself as i only joined a few months ago but the likes of ife4love, mukina and others with 10000 plus posts. Don't mean those that repeat themselves or those with one word posts.
Re: Google Acquires Youtube by Busta(f): 3:56am On Oct 11, 2006
good deal!
Re: Google Acquires Youtube by TEEZERO(m): 7:48am On Oct 11, 2006
Seun, please comment
Re: Google Acquires Youtube by Zappking: 9:02am On Oct 11, 2006
picture my flight?
Re: Google Acquires Youtube by kazey(m): 9:50am On Oct 11, 2006
Expected, isn't it? Its a catalyst to their income model, that heavily depends on the stock market, or rather market value. How then could one explain of a company like google spending 1 billion dollars in acquisition !!

The internet marketing model used by google and many giants is a very beautiful scamming model, that does not depend on the income generated from the organization's operations, but rather depends on its market value(stock price etc), and hence all it needs is to introduce frequent factors that catalyzes its market value, to sustain its tenure, the question is how long would that be?

How many of googles projects are income generating that amount to billions in revenue annually? I can only see the anchoring effect generated by their adwords revenue.

Their payment gateway what happened to it? So what product or services exactly is Google making money from apart from Adwords?

Well I guess very soon, the company would cashout yet again to raise funds, and the believers of the stock market would keep buying, considering the fact that the price is appreciating significantly, All I can say is Kudos to Google.
Re: Google Acquires Youtube by Gettolove(m): 1:49pm On Oct 11, 2006
I guess this guys have made a landmark history either good or bad. They have transformed ideas to billions of dollars and you will agree with me that these guys did no sell youtube for money alone, but to also divest the proceeds to a mega investment.
Celtell aquired vee mobile for $1.06b while Youtube went for $1.6b, this goes to show that a video sharing site is more valuable than the whole of vee mobile. When i saw it on CNN i was amazed and started thinking one is not at optimum in terms of utilising resources.
Alibaba.com too in china was approached by google but the young man that own it refused to dispose it, he said the company is priceles.

N.B it will take youtube a century to make profit after tax of $1b
Re: Google Acquires Youtube by makin(m): 3:23pm On Oct 11, 2006
I hope Google has a great legal team, or else copyrights wahala would kill them.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/6038116.stm
Re: Google Acquires Youtube by cleric(m): 5:27pm On Oct 11, 2006
@hot-angel,
I guess we meet again after FoF but I beg to disagree, those boyz are visionaires hence their money in bag. wink I guess in naija we will say they are sharp. grin

@makin,
You have a good point but I believe google should be sharper than that or else copy right go kill them. grin grin grin
Re: Google Acquires Youtube by Gettolove(m): 5:29pm On Oct 11, 2006
what copy right are guys talking about?
Re: Google Acquires Youtube by nilla(f): 6:40pm On Oct 11, 2006
@ topic

i was inĀ  shocked

Those guys had youtube for roughly a year and see what its worth now.

Google buying out their competition, we don't know whether its a good move right now for them. Only time will tell.
Re: Google Acquires Youtube by nprime(m): 10:46pm On Oct 11, 2006
Needless to say Google's acquisition of YouTube is an inspiration to all aspiring entrepreneurs. I really would like to see an internet company built by Nigerians selling for hundreds of millions of dollars, if not a couple billion. We're very talented and gifted individuals (giant of Africa!) so there's not reason why we too can't cash in on technology and make these millions, if we put our minds to it.

@kazey:
You're very right. The north american model is all about 'projected revenue' and expectations. If you can convince shareholders that there will be a market for your product a few years down the road, you're cashing in right now, as opposed to when the market actually does present itself.
Re: Google Acquires Youtube by onyek: 6:53pm On Oct 12, 2006
nprime:

Needless to say Google's acquisition of YouTube is an inspiration to all aspiring entrepreneurs. I really would like to see an internet company built by Nigerians selling for hundreds of millions of dollars, if not a couple billion. We're very talented and gifted individuals (giant of Africa!) so there's not reason why we too can't cash in on technology and make these millions, if we put our minds to it.

nprime, completely agree with you and I am very certain it will happen one day and about time too.

Although once the nigerians manage to sell the company for billons, armed robbers will start following them all over the place!

grin
Re: Google Acquires Youtube by Seun(m): 7:33pm On Oct 12, 2006
The fact that youtube does one thing (video) and does it well is also very important. You don't have to remember a complicated website name like video.google.com. Just type youtube.com and you're in!

Youtube's success is also partly because they chose a very dialup-friendly video format (FLV) instead of the bloated formats used by Google Video and others. The willingness to host illegal videos and to allow people to embed videos on their own websites has also helped. Unfortunately, their 'success' is neither sustainable nor profitable.

Google is planning to buy Youtube with stock, so the fools in this transaction are Google "investors".
Re: Google Acquires Youtube by ladynoni(f): 4:30pm On Oct 13, 2006
@Kazey,

The deal is good for You-Tube. The only stream that generates Google's billions (AdWords), is enough ( if we go by GOOG's 2nd quarter results) to buy You-Tube over 6 TIMES! at 0ver 2 billion Dollar per quarter.

Let's thank the U-tube guys for opening our eyes to the explosive market in the video stream. The whole world is going video. I want to watch how Google would re-engineer You Tube to turn in competitive profits in the next three years.

Finally, we must not loose track of the main lesson, and that is the fact of The Traffic warfare between the top ten most popular websites in the world. You Tube and MySpace bursted into that top league within 3 years of start up, to displace the traditional leaders of the industry. Anyone of us that can burst it too, would become hot market for the moguls.

Kevin Rose of Digg seem to be moving in that direction too. I hope seun would upwardly revalue Nairaland too 2 Billion Naira is peanuts when denominated in dollars. (LOL)
Re: Google Acquires Youtube by Seun(m): 5:45pm On Oct 13, 2006
Youtube's "enormous traffic" is clearly due to the fact that it hosts videos. It has less eyeballs than Google.
Re: Google Acquires Youtube by Christino(m): 6:43pm On Oct 13, 2006
Read :"Why Google's You Tube bet will pay off big time" and other blogs and comments on:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/topic/Google+YouTube.html?tag=nl.e540
Re: Google Acquires Youtube by NSNA: 12:42pm On Oct 14, 2006
Seun:

The fact that youtube does one thing (video) and does it well is also very important. You don't have to remember a complicated website name like video.google.com. Just type youtube.com and you're in!

Youtube's success is also partly because they chose a very dialup-friendly video format (FLV) instead of the bloated formats used by Google Video and others. The willingness to host illegal videos and to allow people to embed videos on their own websites has also helped. Unfortunately, their 'success' is neither sustainable nor profitable.

Google is planning to buy Youtube with stock, so the fools in this transaction are Google "investors".

youtue's success is very sustainable. it can only grow from what it already is with the combination of google. except you build up a plan to make it unprofitable then what you are saying is out of perspective
Re: Google Acquires Youtube by Seun(m): 12:52pm On Oct 14, 2006
NSNA, you don't need a plan to make a business unprofitable. You need a plan to make it profitable.

Does Google have a plan to make Youtube profitable? If they did, then why isn't Google Video profitable?
Re: Google Acquires Youtube by Orikinla(m): 6:15pm On Oct 15, 2006
Seun:

NSNA, you don't need a plan to make a business unprofitable. You need a plan to make it profitable.

Does Google have a plan to make Youtube profitable? If they did, then why isn't Google Video profitable?

Seun,
You already answered your own question why Google Video is not popular in your reasons for the success of YouTube.

Google just wants to expand their empire and YouTube has the mileage and patronage. Google makes money from mileage.

I am not an expert in IT. But I know that Google cannot lose.
Re: Google Acquires Youtube by Seun(m): 7:27pm On Oct 15, 2006
Nairaland is not as popular as either Google Video or Youtube, yet it is profitable. Youtube has more traffic than G.Video, but without an income stream this traffic is nothing but a laibility. Despite Google Video's relative unpopularity, it could have been profitable if there was a plan to that effect. Their inability to make Google Video profitable means that with the acquisition of Youtube they'll be losing even more money than they were losing before.
Re: Google Acquires Youtube by arizona(m): 4:52am On Oct 16, 2006
i quite agree with some of you and disagree with others. here in America business is run in long term not for short term as we always believe in naija, Goggle saw great potential and went for it. Bill gate(microsoft) did it and it paid very well for him. he buys up small potential companies.people don't just acquire or buy a company just like that, they must have done their ground work before dolling out that kind of amount. In economist we have what is call comparative advantage, produce what you have more advantage on and buy what you don't have advantage on, i that case i think goggle is right. wink
Re: Google Acquires Youtube by kazey(m): 5:54am On Oct 16, 2006
arizona:

here in America business is run in long term not for short term as we always believe in naija, Goggle saw great potential and went for it.

Most VCs funded organisations are in, for a quick flip, and Google is a VC funded organization, and their business model is clearly visible for the world to see.

arizona:

Bill gate(microsoft) did it and it paid very well for him. he buys up small potential companies.

Bill gates does not benefit from small companies, Infact his riches are from the same stock market, so is his rankings, which is literally paper worth. M$ heavily depends on corporate clients and government software licensing and of course the stock market for their annual revenue. If you know any M$ small scale aquisition that paid off later, please let us know.

Google only earn billions from one trade, ADWORDS/ADSENSE, and thats about that. All the aquisition they do, or free stuff they give is to help them stay on "breaking news", which helps the market value of the companies stocks.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Where Can I Get Tricycles(keke Napep) To Buy In Benin? / Investment Inflow Into Nigeria Shrinks By $4.5bn / My Gt Bank Was Restricted For All Transactions Please Advice!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.