Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,748 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:54 PM

Hausa’s Sarauta Is Something To Cherish - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Hausa’s Sarauta Is Something To Cherish (4933 Views)

Learn How To Speak Hausa Here / Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary / What Are You? Yoruba, Ibo or Hausa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hausa’s Sarauta Is Something To Cherish by Phemour: 12:44pm On Apr 25, 2009
Sarauta means Chief, Sarauta is more than a simply Chief you’ve ever known in other Nigerian tribes. They got this admiration by their fellow Hausas which makes them more than ordinary wealthy man.

They have Dogari, which could also be called Slave, Dogari(es) give up their lives to serve Sarauta, Dogari follows Matan Sarauta (Sarauta Wives ) and Sarauta himself wherever they go.

Young men and women want to get married to Dan Gidan Sarauta (Sarauta child) not only because of the wealthiness but also the respect attached to being Sarauta Inlaw

So if you want to marry Hausa Girl or Guy, marry the one from Sarauta house coz its gusto to be  Sarauta Inlaw

1 Like

Re: Hausa’s Sarauta Is Something To Cherish by Nobody: 2:13pm On Apr 25, 2009
Expantiate on how this practise began. smiley
Re: Hausa’s Sarauta Is Something To Cherish by AloyEmeka9: 5:59pm On Apr 25, 2009
They have Dogari, which could also be called Slave, Dogari(es) give up their lives to serve Sarauta, Dogari follows Matan Sarauta (Sarauta Wives ) and Sarauta himself wherever they go.
What do they gain from giving up their lives for samantha?
Re: Hausa’s Sarauta Is Something To Cherish by ifyalways(f): 10:00pm On Apr 25, 2009
which part of the north is this praticed and is it still in on NOW?
Re: Hausa’s Sarauta Is Something To Cherish by temi4rea(f): 9:59am On Apr 27, 2009
ifyalways:

which part of the north is this praticed and is it still in on NOW?

Yes its stl practiced in the north esspecially in kano.
Re: Hausa’s Sarauta Is Something To Cherish by ifyalways(f): 10:10am On Apr 27, 2009
thanks smiley
Re: Hausa’s Sarauta Is Something To Cherish by temi4rea(f): 12:52pm On Apr 27, 2009
@Ify
You are welcome! smiley
Re: Hausa’s Sarauta Is Something To Cherish by oderemo(m): 5:26pm On Apr 27, 2009
Dogari, i thought he used to play for france.
Re: Hausa’s Sarauta Is Something To Cherish by Seun(m): 5:46pm On Apr 27, 2009
It sounds like a less cruel version of the Igbo Osu thing?
Re: Hausa’s Sarauta Is Something To Cherish by Phemour: 6:00pm On Apr 27, 2009
@ Aloy.Emeka
What do they gain from giving up their lives for samantha?
They get paid
their child will never be in police custody  wink u know wat i mean

@ ode remo
Dogari, i thought he used to play for france
you may be right,
The world has one Language but different meanings,
A "fool" in English could mean "brilliant" in another language
but this of hausas is life house maid which could also be called slave
Re: Hausa’s Sarauta Is Something To Cherish by Phemour: 1:32pm On Apr 28, 2009
Expantiate on how this practise began.

Further more, the Sarakuna has a chamber e.g. Dutse Emirate which the Emir heads, Sarauta is only given to the rich not an ordinary street man in-fact, we can say before Sarauta is given to someone the person must have done something huge to the Emirate.

In addition, a new Sarauta[/b]a is provided with Shelter, Food Cars, Houses and Wife for the well being of Sarauta by the emirate. Horses are there in abundant; every male child of [b]Sarauta has at least two horses which they ride on Salah day with imported cloths

In conclusion, just as you know what will happen to a Ward Chancellor that disdains the president is exactly what will happen a Sarauta that disrespects The Emir
Re: Hausa’s Sarauta Is Something To Cherish by kanurisud: 7:48pm On Apr 28, 2009
i want to know if this habit exsist in other northern tribes?
and is there slaves nowadays in that eara?
Re: Hausa’s Sarauta Is Something To Cherish by Phemour: 8:17pm On Apr 28, 2009
kanuri sud:

i want to know if this habit exsist in other northern tribes?
is practised in Kano

kanuri sud:

and is there slaves nowadays in that eara?
The slave I mean is not like olden days where they are deprived of their right, Dogari get paid
Re: Hausa’s Sarauta Is Something To Cherish by kanurisud: 8:35pm On Apr 28, 2009
thanks my dear
Re: Hausa’s Sarauta Is Something To Cherish by temi4rea(f): 12:03pm On Apr 29, 2009
@Kanuri

Kanuri from YOBE or MAIDUGURI?

Which of the kanuris pls,

am asking because u asked abt the slave thing.
Re: Hausa’s Sarauta Is Something To Cherish by PERVERT9: 4:48pm On Apr 29, 2009
hajia du allah ki bani duri so se
duri ya yi da di
Re: Hausa’s Sarauta Is Something To Cherish by Phemour: 5:12pm On Apr 29, 2009
PERVERT9:

hajia du allah ki bani duri so se
duri ya yi da di

You are mad
Why are pple like this in this world
You Just cant abide to the rule for a second

nzaka chi duri kaje Romance angry
Re: Hausa’s Sarauta Is Something To Cherish by HABAS(m): 11:39am On May 01, 2009
Phemour:

Sarauta means Chief, Sarauta is more than a simply Chief you’ve ever known in other Nigerian tribes. They got this admiration by their fellow Hausas which makes them more than ordinary wealthy man.

Young men and women want to get married to Dan Gidan Sarauta (Sarauta child) not only because of the wealthiness but also the respect attached to being Sarauta Inlaw

So if you want to marry Hausa Girl or Guy, marry the one from Sarauta house coz its gusto to be  Sarauta Inlaw

They also do Awan doki, (riding on horse,  1st, 2nd, 3rd day of salah).
Is practiced here in dutse, kano, etc. very fun.
Re: Hausa’s Sarauta Is Something To Cherish by Phemour: 11:56am On May 01, 2009
HABAS:

They also do Awan doki, (riding on horse, 1st, 2nd, 3rd day of salah).
Is practiced in kano, very fun.
The gun rocket can get someone deaf, why all the shoot up when the emir is about to arive?
Re: Hausa’s Sarauta Is Something To Cherish by Phemour: 11:25am On May 28, 2009
Re: Hausa’s Sarauta Is Something To Cherish by Phemour: 12:07pm On Jun 24, 2009
smiley
Re: Hausa’s Sarauta Is Something To Cherish by Sarauniya(f): 2:51pm On Jun 26, 2009
Nice Topic. I have to clear some things up though.

Sarauta means a title. It varies from rank to rank. It's not only given to rich people. It's given to people that have earned it and most importantly, it's people that have serviced the community one way or the other. For example: a person may get it because they helped many youth in the community to gain education and employment. Wealth is not the important factor.

another example: in my community a man (commoner) just recently got given a sarauta because he is an advocate for human rights. The current emir in my community is not a rich man. He was a mere teacher that was eligible and respected.

It's the version of government that existed (and still exists in some areas) from the earlier Habe civilisations. They are like parliaments and are in charge of running the communities. although these days with democracy, they don't have as much power as they used to. Still, they're respected and loved just like what the queen is to the English. May I also mention that Sarauta is not just given to men but also to women who fit the selection criteria.

Dogarai (plural for dogari) are not slaves. They are guards in charge of the security of the palace and the masarauta. Today, it's like any old security job. They even get paid and subsidised education in some emirates. They have rights, they can even quit when they want. From what I have seen these days its actually a form of employment.

1 Like

Re: Hausa’s Sarauta Is Something To Cherish by AbuMaryam1(m): 1:09pm On Jun 28, 2009
@poster. You extremely distort Sarauta and it aura. But thank God SARAUNIYA has give a glance of whats SARAUTA.
Re: Hausa’s Sarauta Is Something To Cherish by Sarauniya(f): 6:33pm On Jun 28, 2009
Abu-Maryam:

@poster. You extremely distort Sarauta and it aura. But thank God SARAUNIYA has give a glance of whats SARAUTA.

cool cool cool cool

Just had to clarify. The poster may have not any harm but it is important to get these facts right especially in a place like Nairaland where people believe stereotypes like they are facts.

1 Like

Re: Hausa’s Sarauta Is Something To Cherish by AbuMaryam1(m): 10:57pm On Jun 28, 2009
@ sarauniya. Thats a welldone job. Keep on.
Re: Hausa’s Sarauta Is Something To Cherish by oyinda3(f): 6:06am On Jun 29, 2009
cool stuff.

how many sarauta's are there in each emirate? n what r the ranks?
Re: Hausa’s Sarauta Is Something To Cherish by dejabou10: 10:34pm On Dec 28, 2015
Pls it'll be good if u stop distorting history

(1) (Reply)

Identify By Your Benin Greetings Here / Origin Of Ikwerre Denial Of Igbo Root! (A Political View) / Igbo Music styles and Genres

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.