Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,830 members, 7,817,429 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:06 PM

The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) - Agriculture (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) (312757 Views)

Snail Farming In Nigeria Made Easy, Practical Tips / The A to Z Of Oil Palm Farming (Costs And Returns Analysis) / A-z Of Catfish Smoking Business and types of fish smoking kiln (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by Dnockeror333(m): 9:47pm On Apr 04, 2017
I just want to say thanks for the bomereage. Am not a farmer, but my interest on this have long lived with me.
Thanks. May God pave the way.
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by onyexx: 2:44pm On Apr 07, 2017
please what's the current price for breeders?
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by Rawpheeher: 5:28pm On Apr 12, 2017
lordhugo:

The floor is contiguous (connected) with the natural soil but its filled with alkaline sandy loam to about 4 inches off ground level.
. Please I read a post that said "do not cement your snail pen.. please what is the effect of this as getting concrete pen done requires a lot of more money that cement and bloks
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by Laredojohn(m): 6:56pm On May 01, 2017
nice one op following closely
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by Happyfellow147: 7:43am On May 09, 2017
Please who owns a snail farm in Enugu? I'd like to visit and probably train
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by banjoismsam(m): 2:31am On May 20, 2017
https:///4KgSNFq3SV9AV5PLGKfDY9 ( snail farmers on whatsapp link pls join us tru d lin)
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by Hondo27(m): 6:56pm On May 22, 2017
What are these two species of snail?

Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by stanley99a(m): 7:27pm On May 22, 2017
Hondo27:
In the first pics I can see AA and the second pics is more of AM and some AA

1 Like

Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by Hondo27(m): 12:42am On May 23, 2017
Thanks I was planning to train a few people intensively and set up a few farm locations in Ghana as well I have friends in Nigeria in Benin and Abuja. I would like to retain you service for a seminar or training class for a few students. I make the housing for drying coffee in Honduras what would I need to and to base to keep snails from escaping as it only is plastic sides that drape to ground . A short block wall?

2 Likes

Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by Happyfellow147: 3:39pm On May 27, 2017
Please help o
Happyfellow147:
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by Hondo27(m): 2:44pm On Jun 01, 2017
Someone in Ghana says these are inedible.but look like AA.

Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by Hondo27(m): 2:45pm On Jun 01, 2017
Is this AA?

Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by Just30: 2:48pm On Jun 01, 2017
Hondo27:
Someone in Ghana says these are inedible.but look like AA.
yes this type of snails are not eaten in Ghana
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by Hondo27(m): 2:59pm On Jun 01, 2017
Is it AA?
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by Hondo27(m): 3:03pm On Jun 01, 2017
What is reason for it ? But it is AA ? And I know it's slow growing but more prolific. Your group is great I have a snail hunt organized for weekend and it's a great help to many unemployed women .
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by Hondo27(m): 1:37pm On Jun 04, 2017
You have a n excellent farm project it's easier than I thought to get started you information helps avoid mistakes in a friends compound that has lots of greenery she found in a few hours 75 good sized snails nearly market size. I think she could preserve this habitat by enhanced feeding and calcium supplements

1 Share

Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by pheonixdld2(m): 11:42am On Jun 07, 2017
I am in enugu and about to start this snail venture. Thank you @Lordhugo.
I have read and have follwed this thread since November 2016.
I presently have no snail now and plan to ask some women around to help me catch some adults to startoff with(maybe 50 adults) and breed to multiply.
My vision is targeting 10,000 by July next year (long term vision) and probably scour for available market to process for export.
God bless you @lordhugo
P.S Any small farmer in enugu? Please call zero49601061 would like to see your small farm.
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by lordhugo(m): 9:33am On Jun 08, 2017
onyexx:
please what's the current price for breeders?

You can get breeders for 400 Naira.

Pre-lay will cost 250 Naira.

Snail prices are fluid anyways.
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by lordhugo(m): 9:34am On Jun 08, 2017
Hondo27:
You have a n excellent farm project it's easier than I thought to get started you information helps avoid mistakes in a friends compound that has lots of greenery she found in a few hours 75 good sized snails nearly market size. I think she could preserve this habitat by enhanced feeding and calcium supplements

Very nice.

Please drain the holding container.
Add some hole so it doesn't hold water. Snails drown.

1 Like

Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by lordhugo(m): 9:35am On Jun 08, 2017
Rawpheeher:
. Please I read a post that said "do not cement your snail pen.. please what is the effect of this as getting concrete pen done requires a lot of more money that cement and bloks

If your area is prone to underground pests such as termites. You might need to floor with cement.

Just make sure you add a good layer (6 inches plus of good soil and compost thereafter) of soil.
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by lordhugo(m): 9:37am On Jun 08, 2017
Hondo27:

They are both fulicas but different sub species.

They lay a lot and are found mostly in urban areas.

Edible I think so.

1 Like

Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by lordhugo(m): 9:44am On Jun 08, 2017
Hondo27:
Thanks I was planning to train a few people intensively and set up a few farm locations in Ghana as well I have friends in Nigeria in Benin and Abuja. I would like to retain you service for a seminar or training class for a few students. I make the housing for drying coffee in Honduras what would I need to and to base to keep snails from escaping as it only is plastic sides that drape to ground . A short block wall?

Yes, a short block wall for the exterior with a gutter filled with water and a few pesticides to ward off pests. You are in tune already.

The interior is different though.

(I would like to learn how to make your type of solar dryer.. Can we get to meet?)

Check the picture attached.

Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by lordhugo(m): 9:47am On Jun 08, 2017
esty27:
@lordugo hw much is the snail feed

300Naira per kg
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by phemmy03: 2:54pm On Jun 08, 2017
Happyfellow147:

That link isn't working
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by Toza11: 11:38am On Jun 09, 2017
My Snail Laid 20 Eggs For More Than 30days, I Harvested As U Posted N It Havent Hatch Till Date, Please What Am I To Do
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by phemmy03: 6:34pm On Jun 09, 2017
banjoismsam:
https:///4KgSNFq3SV9AV5PLGKfDY9 ( snail farmers on whatsapp link pls join us tru d lin)

that link isn't working
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by phemmy03: 6:35pm On Jun 09, 2017
Toza11:
My Snail Laid 20 Eggs For More Than 30days, I Harvested As U Posted N It Havent Hatch Till Date, Please What Am I To Do

i've come to realize that it's best to leave the eggs where they're laid and only remove the hatchlings into the small pens
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by cashtender: 3:08am On Jun 18, 2017
phemmy03:

i've come to realize that it's best to leave the eggs where they're laid and only remove the hatchlings into the small pens

I think so too, if not, I can't imagin how large snail farm will require you moving the eggs to another pen.
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by mamabj: 6:40am On Jun 18, 2017
Please add me to the wasapp GRP
Thanks
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by ademaintain(m): 1:28pm On Jun 18, 2017
Dear nairalanders,

Please help look at the snail pen, i just constructed and about to stock it, please whats the number of snail that i can put in each compactment.

Thanks

Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by onuwaje(m): 10:02am On Jun 19, 2017
Anytime it rains i am.visited by dis specie of snails
I am sure its not the type that is reared fr commercial purpose

Pls i need to knw the name of this one
(See attached pics)

And i also need to see the pics of A.A

Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by onuwaje(m): 10:03am On Jun 19, 2017
ademaintain:
Dear nairalanders,

Please help look at the snail pen, i just constructed and about to stock it, please whats the number of snail that i can put in each compactment.

Thanks
50-100 fr each compartment wud do

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (22) (Reply)

... / Xmas Broiler Broading In Pictures / Nairaland Farmers Contact Details

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.