Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,140 members, 7,814,993 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:07 AM

The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) - Agriculture (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) (312650 Views)

Snail Farming In Nigeria Made Easy, Practical Tips / The A to Z Of Oil Palm Farming (Costs And Returns Analysis) / A-z Of Catfish Smoking Business and types of fish smoking kiln (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by lordhugo(m): 12:08am On May 19, 2016
[size=18pt]N-Z soon...who wants it? [/size]

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by Skanas(m): 4:29am On May 19, 2016
lordhugo:
Me,myself and I....can't wait sir...pls ride on...

1 Like

Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by aboutbiz: 1:52pm On May 19, 2016
Sir we have been waiting for this time ago sir. Please help[color=#770077][/color]
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by iriowuro: 10:41pm On May 20, 2016
lordhugo:

just like it will take a million light years, I have being waiting. appreciate your effort.
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by OgbavighoAjiri(m): 8:43pm On May 26, 2016
Pls admin add on whatsup 09025261299
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by gabriellaluchy(f): 9:40pm On May 26, 2016
lordhugo:

I will send a member of staff or if your location is close to me at the time, I will come personally.

Buzz me....

Pic below is a current project..

12 plots (2 acres) of free range snails..
#when obasanjo farms is there

I am the first to attempt mechanized snail farming in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by 2dice01: 3:26pm On May 28, 2016
lordhugo:
hey my padi...longest time love dis thread already...
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by 124mumsy: 12:31am On May 29, 2016
how do I meet u so I can learn from your farm directly, I don't have any knowledge on snail farming but I am interested in this venture
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by whirlwind7(m): 9:56am On May 29, 2016
lordhugo:

Bring it on, bro!
You are amazing cool
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by lordhugo(m): 10:46pm On May 30, 2016
2dice01:
hey my padi...longest time love dis thread already...

2dice, hope you are cool?

One love bro
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by Twinmama(f): 1:20pm On Jun 03, 2016
lordhugo:

I can't wait to read the concluding part. Kudos to you my brother. I have half a plot which will be cleared this weekend. I already have the ones I'm raising behind my window with tyre. I will contact you as soon as the land is ready. God bless you bro.
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by Jeffersson: 4:34pm On Jun 17, 2016
Hello Lord Hugo.

Many thanks for the information passed across. Please keep it up.

Kindly advise if it would be suitable to have a snail pen located close to other noisy machines in the same location. Will this disturb their growth, development and health?

Awaiting your prompt response.

Thanks

1 Like

Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by marissanutri(f): 1:53pm On Jun 18, 2016
Hi,
Interested snails buyers, cheap large snails for sale.. individuals, breeders, resellers, hotels, resturants. call / sms me on 08073246507.
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by steephen: 1:05am On Jun 19, 2016
lordhugo:

Absolutely!

Some warnings though.

Someone called with this exact same question and suggested he wanted them to aestivate while he stores them till the peak of the dry season "high demand period".

I told him yes... But PLEASE TO FEED THEM AND KEEP THEM IN A RECOMMENDED SNAIL REARING HOUSING SOLUTION.

Why confine the snails and risk some stock dying off?
When you can easily house and grow them into even bigger sizes.

I guess this answers your question?
yes thanks alot
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by globatop: 2:08pm On Jun 19, 2016
@Op, pls conclude the N-Z of this thread so that we can ask question and asses our stand. God bless ur endeavour.
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by skido04: 3:12pm On Jun 24, 2016
08034239690 this is my contact. someone should please add me on the whatsapp group
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by eyems: 6:05am On Jun 28, 2016
Learn what it takes to start and run your own snail farming business with our business plan.
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by funshyboi(m): 12:27pm On Jun 28, 2016
admin pls add this number 08036860580
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by Favorite1: 8:09pm On Jun 29, 2016
Admin please add me to your watzapp group
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by funshyboi(m): 8:53pm On Jun 29, 2016
lordhugo:
all my household awaits it bro
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by annunaki2(m): 7:09pm On Jul 01, 2016
@lordhugo
I decided to start a micro snail farm in my compound starting with a few snails I caught in the bushes surrounding my house. I am starting it as a hobby but might decide to grow it into a business if I like the outcome of my experiment. What advice do you have for me as I have no previous experience in snail farming?
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by amadasunfarm(m): 3:36am On Jul 02, 2016
Please I want to start small like with NGN 100,000 I have one aboutdont poultry and one aboutdont fish ponds in small part of my house with sand close to the fence. What do I do to get the pen up? and it is in Benin city

Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by lizzybliss: 10:06am On Jul 02, 2016
pls who has a snail farm in asaba, delta state? I need to buy snail stock for rearing. I have hunted without success. I need to purchase to start up since my pen is ready. so pls, if you do have a farm pls, do well to give your farm address. thanks.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by john410(m): 4:17pm On Jul 03, 2016
Nice jobs you have been doing here.can someone mix two breeds together.that is AA and AM.thanks.
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by cool318(m): 6:28pm On Jul 03, 2016
lizzybliss:
pls who has a snail farm in asaba, delta state? I need to buy snail stock for rearing. I have hunted without success. I need to purchase to start up since my pen is ready. so pls, if you do have a farm pls, do well to give your farm address. thanks.

Mine is in PH, can help you source for stocks where I get mine. Pm me if interested although prices are soaring high & higher by the day.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by annunaki2(m): 6:56pm On Jul 03, 2016
cool318:

Mine is in PH, can help you source for stocks where I get mine. Pm me if interested although prices are soaring high & higher by the day.

I thought it's supposed to be cheap now that we are in the rainy season
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by cool318(m): 9:26pm On Jul 03, 2016
annunaki2:

I thought it's supposed to be cheap now that we are in the rainy season

Thats what we thought, but there are other factors that determine the price which we buyers don't know.
I will upload a heap of stock i bought a Month ago, when you hear of the current price as at Friday, you will Shudder.
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by annunaki2(m): 5:47am On Jul 04, 2016
cool318:

Buy more
Thats what we thought, but there are other factors that determine the price which we buyers don't know.
I will upload a heap of stock i bought a Month ago, when you hear of the current price as at Friday, you will Shudder.

Wow! That's interesting. I just started my snail farm with about forty snails I caught in the bushes surrounding my house and I caught them free grin although I intend to buy more from night guards in the area who catch snails at night. I am sure there prices will be much cheaper than in the market or even other farms. cheesy

1 Like

Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by Mizquosi: 6:21am On Jul 07, 2016
Op thanks a lot for this. I want to start and I have some questions.
1) where can I find the right kind of soil? Is it sold in d market?
2) how do I regulate humidity in the pens.
3) I dont have much space at my backyard. Exactly how much space do I need for a start?
4) How much money do you estimate to start this business?
5) there are no bushes around to catch snails (there used to be but the bushes are all gone). Is there an alternative source of good fertile snails?
6) Of the 3 species, which is best for commercial purposes?

Thanks in advance for your response.
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by salem1373(m): 7:40pm On Jul 07, 2016
[color=#990000][/color]
lizzybliss:

I am in Asaba and I rear Snails....You can contact me on 08138881373.
call or WhatsApp me...thanks
@LordHugo...You are wonderful!
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by eyems: 7:08am On Jul 08, 2016
Factors To Consider When Starting A Snail Farm

he act or science of raising snails for food is called Heliculture (Snail farming). Snails belong to the second largest group in the animal kingdom Phylum molusca, among the invertebrates i.e. animal without backbone. Snails are hermaphroditic (capable of self-fertilization) in nature; this means that each snail has both the male and female reproductive organs. Snails reproduce rapidly; they are capable of producing more than 300 eggs, which hatch into snails. It is now possible to produce 1,000,000 snails twice a year. This is made possible because of the availability of the highly prolific ACHATINA MARGINATA species of snails, which lay 200-400 in one batch 2-3 times a year.

Snail is a very healthy source of meat, also high in protein, phosphorus, calcium and iron, and low in fats, sodium and cholesterol. There are many species of edible snails; they vary in shape, size and colour. Examples are the Africa giant land Snail, Fresh water Snail, Small size Snails, Periwinkle. Snails cut across vital areas as food, the pharmaceutical industry, manufacturing and fishing industries.

The prolific nature (of reproduction) and the market value (high demand) of snail bridge the gap and compensate farmers for its long gestation period of 2years. Snail farming in Nigeria requires small capital and the running cost is low, the farm size is determined by the capital and the location of the farm. For commercial farming, it is necessary to acquire a permanent land. The giant West Africa snail (Achatina Marginata) is the best specie for snail farming due to its prolificacy.

FACTORS TO CONSIDER

Environment – Snails are easily dehydrated, and wind increases the rate of moisture loss in snail which in turn, leads to dryness for the animal. To prevent snails from losing water so quickly the snail house must be located in an environment that is protected from wind. A little damp and humid environment is suitable for farming.

Soil Type – The snail’s major habitat is the soil, and soil contains some of the components and chemical substances that it needs to survive. The soil type should be rich and contain a high level of organic matter. Clayey and compact soil should be avoided totally because of the level of acidity. Porous soil is also not good for snail farming. Hence, the suitable soil for snail farming is sandy-loamy soil with low water holding capacity. Soil must be balanced, not waterlogged, because the snail also lays its eggs and drinks water out of the soil. The shell of the snail is mainly calcium and it derives most of it from the soil.

Source – Snail source is an important aspect in this type of farming, it is sensible to get snails directly from the forest or buy from a reliable dealer in the market. The forest techniques could be really tricky. Snails can be gotten from the forest with a basic technique; clear a small portion of land during rainy season and drop fruits like pineapple, pawpaw, plantain, banana by 4/ 5pm in the evening. Come back at about 7pm or 8pm, you will pick up snails suitable for farming. Repeat this process until you get a reasonable amount.

Housing – Housing varies, snail can be reared in boxes made of suitable substances like wire gauze (net), wood, straw etc .One thing to put into consideration when building a snail house is the direction and speed of wind. Wind is a means of dehydration and is therefore bad for snail farming. Damp and humid environment are suitable for snails so it’s required of you to plant tree crops like cocoa, plantain or banana around the house as a wind breaker and to promote the humidity. Cocoyam, sweet potato, waterleaf may be planted inside the pens to supplement the diet and to serve as shade. If snail pen is large enough it should be divided into paddocks of not more than 4x4meters to prevent overcrowding and to maintain a regular stocking density. Wire net is ideal for this purpose.

Food/Feeding – Snails mainly feeds on green leaves and fruits (vegetables, leaves, fruits and decaying organic matter) though they can utilize other ranges of foods. Aside food to grow tissues, snails need calcium to grow shells. Feeding of snail should be regular. Food waste like maize bran, wheat bran is also good to feed snail.

Harvesting– Maturity takes 2 years. Only matured snails should be harvested. Check the brim of the shell. For matured snails, the brim is thicker and harder than other parts of the shell. Do not harvest all the matured ones for the market. Keep a few for breeding and to serve as base stock.

Pests and Diseases: Termites, lizards, snakes, ants, chickens, geese and turkeys are the common enemies of snails and should be prevented by all means. There are not many diseases identified in snail but fungus and bacterial diseases which are spread by contact have been noticed in overcrowded pens.

In the dry season, it will be ideal to irrigate the snail farm regularly or else the snails will hibernate. If there is drought, snails can hibernate for up to 2 years as is the case for desert snails.
http://www.businessplannigeria.com.ng/snail-farming-business-plan-feasibility-studies/

5 Likes

Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by annunaki2(m): 7:24pm On Jul 08, 2016
eyems:
Factors To Consider When Starting A Snail Farm

he act or science of raising snails for food is called Heliculture (Snail farming). Snails belong to the second largest group in the animal kingdom Phylum molusca, among the invertebrates i.e. animal without backbone. Snails are hermaphroditic (capable of self-fertilization) in nature; this means that each snail has both the male and female reproductive organs. Snails reproduce rapidly; they are capable of producing more than 300 eggs, which hatch into snails. It is now possible to produce 1,000,000 snails twice a year. This is made possible because of the availability of the highly prolific ACHATINA MARGINATA species of snails, which lay 200-400 in one batch 2-3 times a year.

Snail is a very healthy source of meat, also high in protein, phosphorus, calcium and iron, and low in fats, sodium and cholesterol. There are many species of edible snails; they vary in shape, size and colour. Examples are the Africa giant land Snail, Fresh water Snail, Small size Snails, Periwinkle. Snails cut across vital areas as food, the pharmaceutical industry, manufacturing and fishing industries.

The prolific nature (of reproduction) and the market value (high demand) of snail bridge the gap and compensate farmers for its long gestation period of 2years. Snail farming in Nigeria requires small capital and the running cost is low, the farm size is determined by the capital and the location of the farm. For commercial farming, it is necessary to acquire a permanent land. The giant West Africa snail (Achatina Marginata) is the best specie for snail farming due to its prolificacy.

FACTORS TO CONSIDER

Environment – Snails are easily dehydrated, and wind increases the rate of moisture loss in snail which in turn, leads to dryness for the animal. To prevent snails from losing water so quickly the snail house must be located in an environment that is protected from wind. A little damp and humid environment is suitable for farming.

Soil Type – The snail’s major habitat is the soil, and soil contains some of the components and chemical substances that it needs to survive. The soil type should be rich and contain a high level of organic matter. Clayey and compact soil should be avoided totally because of the level of acidity. Porous soil is also not good for snail farming. Hence, the suitable soil for snail farming is sandy-loamy soil with low water holding capacity. Soil must be balanced, not waterlogged, because the snail also lays its eggs and drinks water out of the soil. The shell of the snail is mainly calcium and it derives most of it from the soil.

Source – Snail source is an important aspect in this type of farming, it is sensible to get snails directly from the forest or buy from a reliable dealer in the market. The forest techniques could be really tricky. Snails can be gotten from the forest with a basic technique; clear a small portion of land during rainy season and drop fruits like pineapple, pawpaw, plantain, banana by 4/ 5pm in the evening. Come back at about 7pm or 8pm, you will pick up snails suitable for farming. Repeat this process until you get a reasonable amount.

Housing – Housing varies, snail can be reared in boxes made of suitable substances like wire gauze (net), wood, straw etc .One thing to put into consideration when building a snail house is the direction and speed of wind. Wind is a means of dehydration and is therefore bad for snail farming. Damp and humid environment are suitable for snails so it’s required of you to plant tree crops like cocoa, plantain or banana around the house as a wind breaker and to promote the humidity. Cocoyam, sweet potato, waterleaf may be planted inside the pens to supplement the diet and to serve as shade. If snail pen is large enough it should be divided into paddocks of not more than 4x4meters to prevent overcrowding and to maintain a regular stocking density. Wire net is ideal for this purpose.

Food/Feeding – Snails mainly feeds on green leaves and fruits (vegetables, leaves, fruits and decaying organic matter) though they can utilize other ranges of foods. Aside food to grow tissues, snails need calcium to grow shells. Feeding of snail should be regular. Food waste like maize bran, wheat bran is also good to feed snail.

Harvesting– Maturity takes 2 years. Only matured snails should be harvested. Check the brim of the shell. For matured snails, the brim is thicker and harder than other parts of the shell. Do not harvest all the matured ones for the market. Keep a few for breeding and to serve as base stock.

Pests and Diseases: Termites, lizards, snakes, ants, chickens, geese and turkeys are the common enemies of snails and should be prevented by all means. There are not many diseases identified in snail but fungus and bacterial diseases which are spread by contact have been noticed in overcrowded pens.

In the dry season, it will be ideal to irrigate the snail farm regularly or else the snails will hibernate. If there is drought, snails can hibernate for up to 2 years as is the case for desert snails.
http://www.businessplannigeria.com.ng/snail-farming-business-plan-feasibility-studies/

Absolutely brilliant contribution, thanks for this I really learnt a couple of things. smiley

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (22) (Reply)

... / Xmas Broiler Broading In Pictures / Nairaland Farmers Contact Details

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.