Stats: 3,153,180 members, 7,818,563 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:50 PM

Differences BTWN A Scottish and an Englishman, When It Comes To English Lang. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Differences BTWN A Scottish and an Englishman, When It Comes To English Lang. (591 Views)

Know The Differences Between Poisonous And Non Poisonous Snakes / Verified 2016 Waec Gce English Lang. Obj & Theory Answer Are Now Available / Differences Between Nigerian And American Universities. (photos) (2) (3) (4)

Differences BTWN A Scottish and an Englishman, When It Comes To English Lang. by SSpeter(m): 4:21pm On Oct 12, 2015
Scotland and England are members of the United Kingdom or Great Britain. People often think only about England when they refer to Britain and it is quite wrong because Britain comprises; England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. When people think about Britain, they believe the British speaks perfect english, that is true but among the kingdoms that makes up Britain, English language differs. The Scots speak slightly different from the English. Sometimes the Scots makes a neater expression compared to the English.

Example... Scotsmen will say " What like are the gardens at the other end of the zoo?". Englishmen will say "What are the gardens at the other end of the zoo like?". There is some distance between the Englishman's "What is" and "Like". Thus, the Scottish expression is much neater.

THESE ARE OTHER DIFFERENCES
1. The Englishman speaks of his "retirement" the Scottish speaks of his "retiral"
2. Scotsmen often use "Outwith" in a sentence instead of "Outside"
3. Scotsmen often use "purpose" in place of "Propose"...A Scottish will say " I purpose to apply for permission next week"
4 Englishman will say "he died of stroke". Scots will say "he died of shock"
5 Scots "he wants out" Englishman "he wants to go out"
6 Scots "Have you plenty money?" Englishman "Have you plenty of money?"
7 Scots "She said to tell you to come home" Englishman "She said I was to tell you to come home".

NB..The example above those not imply that the Scottish is correct. (...Just pointing out the difference)

When an Englishman tells you "I will be with you presently" he means I will be with you soon. But for a Scottish it means "I will be with you right now".
When an Englishman in a business letter writes "we are dealing with the matter presently" he means that his firm will deal with the matter soon or in a short while. A Scottish recipient of the letter will conclude that the matter is being dealt with at the moment. In legal proceedings in the UK, the legal language of both kingdoms gives the word "Presently" its Scottish meaning. Is it not strange? grin...Be careful when you say the "British speaks Perfect english" ....Remember to say "It is I" when you knock at your neighbours door just to borrow his machete. Remember, you are borrowing not lending....sha return the machete when you design that guy finish wey dey always come "lie" ...not "lay"... with your babe. Last week the guy "lay"... .not "Lied", not "laid"...with your babe nd ur babe friend...My guy look "This is she" ...the babe wey follow ur babe bleep that guy...not "This is her"...you fit kill am join...make I reach... SSpeter and Paul...I wan go pray rosary #OctoberDevotion...walks out of thread...

Re: Differences BTWN A Scottish and an Englishman, When It Comes To English Lang. by barnacle: 5:14pm On Oct 12, 2015
nice write up n funny
Re: Differences BTWN A Scottish and an Englishman, When It Comes To English Lang. by felixdanielthed(m): 5:23pm On Oct 12, 2015
mehn! Surprising facts,anyway tanks bro,for d enlightening
Re: Differences BTWN A Scottish and an Englishman, When It Comes To English Lang. by SSpeter(m): 5:34pm On Oct 12, 2015
barnacle:
nice write up n funny

Re: Differences BTWN A Scottish and an Englishman, When It Comes To English Lang. by SSpeter(m): 5:34pm On Oct 12, 2015
felixdanielthed:
mehn!
Surprising facts,anyway tanks bro,for d enlightening
uwc... cool

20 Books Mark Zuckerberg Thinks Everyone Should Read. Part I / Futo De / AHMADU BELLO UNIVERSITY,2015/2016 Supplementary Form/change Of Course Form/pre-d