Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,240 members, 7,818,823 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:53 AM

The Major Secret Behind The CHEAP Smartphones We Have Today - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / The Major Secret Behind The CHEAP Smartphones We Have Today (2623 Views)

10 Smartphones We Are Expecting In 2017 / Top 10 Cheap Smartphones In Nigeria 2016 – Below N30k / The Major Secret Behind The Cheap Smartphones We Have Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Major Secret Behind The CHEAP Smartphones We Have Today by Chizak24(m): 11:03am On Oct 13, 2015
Within the past two or three years, we have seen tremendous changes in the smartphone industry. Manufactures ramp up specifications, sometime beating what we have on our laptops. Innovations are happening at breath taking speeds, new phones are launched almost daily, and the competition is cutthroat.

User needs have also evolved with the trend - they're smarter now. What started with buying whatever is thrown into the market, has evolved to people going for "better value for money". In this dispensation, mid-range phones are kings and the reasons for this are not far fetched.

First of all, they're cheaper. Secondly, they're performers too. Why buy the expensive flagships when another phone for less than half the price would also meet your needs. Manufacturers on their part are constantly breaking the barriers between flagship and mid-range smartphones (Moto X Style and OnePlus One rings a bell). In fact, the barrier is getting thinner by the day.

With this boom of value-for-money smartphones, there's something we've overlooked. Who is powering this trend? Who is behind this revolution? I've got one answer for you. MediaTek.

Ever since this company came into existence, they have caused a kind of disrupt in the smartphone industry. This was achieved by introducing cheaper processors in the market. Snapdragon had it all before, but MediaTek came fighting from the bottom upwards. The company has constantly evolved and keep improving their chips such that they can rival the more expensive chips from Qualcomm (on some fronts).

That you use an affordable smartphone today, you owe big thanks to MediaTek. Remember the days Nokia used to cut our necks :razz: MediaTek is growing and pushing the boundaries towards better performing affordable smartphones. Top manufacturers aren't ignoring them too. We've seen the likes of LG, HTC, Sony, and the rest using chips made by them to manufacture lower priced smartphones.

The company has also penetrated the smartwatch market, already they're powering most of the cheap smartwatches we see now. I won't be surprising to hear that MediaTek is a more profitable firm than most of these phone makers that even use their chips :lol: These guys are working hard in silence and smiling to the bank, while the rest of the tech world overlooks. Let them ride on the success their hard work deserves.

Source

http://mobilityarena.com/mid-range-smartphones-are-kings-but-theres-something-were-missing/

cc @lalasticlala

3 Likes

Re: The Major Secret Behind The CHEAP Smartphones We Have Today by Nobody: 11:18am On Oct 13, 2015
Elroy , I think you should Re-edit the title. Its not related to the content at all.

Before I clicked on the title , I was hoping to read on the secret strategies of these cheap brands.

MTK chipset is not a secret. At all.

4 Likes

Re: The Major Secret Behind The CHEAP Smartphones We Have Today by RobinHez(m): 11:18am On Oct 13, 2015
I hate MTK phones angry

3 Likes

Re: The Major Secret Behind The CHEAP Smartphones We Have Today by Chizak24(m): 11:38am On Oct 13, 2015
Mrkelv:
Elroy , I think you should Re-edit the title. Its not related to the content at all.

Before I clicked on the title , I was hoping to read on the secret strategies of these cheap brands.

MTK chipset is not a secret. At all.

Which other secret you wan hear. They did rituals or did sacrificed head of lizard lol.

Many people still don't konw. Just like many people don't know that TECNO, Infinix and Itel work under the same company called Transsion

4 Likes

Re: The Major Secret Behind The CHEAP Smartphones We Have Today by Nobody: 12:26pm On Oct 13, 2015
mediateck ====a taiwan company"CHINA".
snapdragon==== u.s company.

Where does our help come from??

**OUR HELP COME FROM CHINA, WHO HAVE MADE EVERYTHING CHEAP FOR WE AFRICANS"

if only our leaders can take corrections, they should ignor u.s and the west, and face only CHINA!!!

4 Likes

Re: The Major Secret Behind The CHEAP Smartphones We Have Today by Nobody: 12:48pm On Oct 13, 2015
Chizak24:

Which other secret you wan hear. They did rituals or did sacrificed head of lizard lol.

Many people still don't konw. Just like many people don't know that TECNO, Infinix and Itel work under the same company called Transsion

Lol.
Re: The Major Secret Behind The CHEAP Smartphones We Have Today by claycares: 3:03pm On Oct 13, 2015
There are lots of reasons OP, not just the MediaTek factor. Note that MediaTek is just another SOC manufacturer. Couple of years ago, IDC said the impact of upstart Chinese players in the global smartphone market will be reflected in a race to the bottom when it comes to price.
Re: The Major Secret Behind The CHEAP Smartphones We Have Today by Nobody: 4:14pm On Oct 13, 2015
typing...
Re: The Major Secret Behind The CHEAP Smartphones We Have Today by oafowowe(m): 4:52pm On Oct 13, 2015
BA II Plus Texas Instrument Calculator available for CIS and CFA candidates.
Call Deji on 08183993936 for your request.

1 Share

Re: The Major Secret Behind The CHEAP Smartphones We Have Today by Whizpeter(m): 5:34pm On Oct 13, 2015
Honestly, I entered this thread with the aim of getting educated, but after going through your post, I felt the need to educate you...
But since I don't want to form 'I to know' , I'd just respect my self and walk out of your thread...

3 Likes

Re: The Major Secret Behind The CHEAP Smartphones We Have Today by tempem: 7:27pm On Oct 13, 2015
stardragon:
mediateck ====a taiwan company"CHINA".
snapdragon==== u.s company.

Where does our help come from??

**OUR HELP COME FROM CHINA, WHO HAVE MADE EVERY CHEAP FOR WE AFRICANS"

if only our leaders can take corrections, they should ignor u.s and the west, and face only CHINA!!!

Learnt something... Thanks.

Re: The Major Secret Behind The CHEAP Smartphones We Have Today by frediech(m): 7:56pm On Oct 13, 2015
Ok
Re: The Major Secret Behind The CHEAP Smartphones We Have Today by brutalkhleo(f): 8:05pm On Oct 13, 2015
;Dera of smartphones and stupid people
Re: The Major Secret Behind The CHEAP Smartphones We Have Today by Chizak24(m): 10:17pm On Oct 13, 2015
Whizpeter:
Honestly, I entered this thread with the aim of getting educated, but after going through your post, I felt the need to educate you...
But since I don't want to form 'I to know' , I'd just respect my self and walk out of your thread...

Bros please educate me. I need am.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Tecno 8h Custom Recovery / Few Months Old Itel A51 Androind Phone For Sale - 17k / Re: Drop Your Number For Activation Celtel Or Glo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.