Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,381 members, 7,819,383 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:17 PM

5 Things That Happen When You Stop Being A Christian - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 5 Things That Happen When You Stop Being A Christian (1648 Views)

Why Did You Stop Going To Church? / "TB Joshua Heals A Man That His Manhood Refused To Stop Being Erect" (Video) / 10 Practical Ways To Battle Sexual Temptation In A Christian's Life (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Things That Happen When You Stop Being A Christian by Nobody: 11:40am On Oct 13, 2015
It's a crazy world. Where I come from, religion is a sensitive topic. You'll be crucified if you dare say
there is no God. People don't want to hear it, it's a
taboo. But does that really stop you? It's a matter
of choice if you want to be a believer or not, here's
five things that happen when you stop being a
Christian.

This, everyone can identify with
1) Its Impossible To Pray. Each time you
‘almost' utter a prayer, you stop right in time to do
a spirit check. You re-convince yourself that
spirituality doesn't exist, never did. Never will. It
can be frustrating at first, because praying used to
be your thing. You no longer say the ‘Lord's
prayer', or the ‘Grace'. It's sad. But you'll get used
to it in time.

This breaks your heart
2) You begin to ask yourself if everything you've
read in the bible is made up as well. It doesn't
help less when you remember your favourite
stories or the chapters that had intrigued you the
most. You ask so much questions. Did Moses
really part the red sea? Was Jesus actually born by
a virgin? Is there really a God?

Talk about being an outcast
3) You have to stand the stares, disbelief and
surprises people give to you when you tell them
you aren't a Christian. Or Muslim or Jew or
Buddhist.....and the list goes on. They give you
this sympathetic look like you're the one who
needs it. Then you have to avoid conversations
about religion to prevent further awkward moments
like these. Because you're tired of trying to explain
yourself. That you didn't stop being a Christian
because you have issues with God. Nobody listens.
They only talk about you Like you're the dreaded
Ebola, advice you to seek spiritual counseling and
exorcism.

FREEDOM!
4) There's this feeling of real freedom, because
now you know the only laws you follow are the
ones you make for yourself. Seriously, you stop
worrying about a whole lot of things. You own
your life. You don't have to feel weird about secret
sins, guilty pleasures, making unknown mistakes
or living a double life.

And finally...
5) It makes the whole faith concept look vague.
Like believing in miracles. No. You no longer
believe in any of that. You don't streamline the
explanation for everything as either God's or
Devil's doing. You stop being so superstitious. Or
seeing witchcraft and demons everywhere.

Thanks for reading. And remember, Christian or
not.....your real friends will always be by your side
without judging.

11 Likes 7 Shares

Re: 5 Things That Happen When You Stop Being A Christian by nikkiking(m): 11:46am On Oct 13, 2015
Wow.......love what i just read.

Thanks.
Re: 5 Things That Happen When You Stop Being A Christian by johnydon22(m): 12:36pm On Oct 13, 2015

This is correct not only applicable to Christianity but also Islam and other religions.

There is also this hostile tendency people have when they know someone doesn't believe in their idea of personal Gods.

There is also this fear of rejection, fear of torture and in extreme occasions death from others in the society entertained by someone who rejects or disbelieves the concept of personal Gods in this religiously/superstitiously saturated society

Many people are caught between the bridge of these steps you listed out. its a lonely, long, scary, hard and sometimes heavy step because everything you have been indoctrinated to believe crumbles before the rumbling quake of your own reason in relation to reality.

On many occasions i had helped many through their journey of self realization and independent reason..

Like i always say "The emergence of reason is a long, slow, steady and most times lonely one but the result is worth it..

7 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 5 Things That Happen When You Stop Being A Christian by menesheh(m): 12:51pm On Oct 13, 2015
Good one

Your number 5 is the most devastating amongst all, it happen to almost every formal believer in any god concept.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Things That Happen When You Stop Being A Christian by onetrack(m): 12:58pm On Oct 13, 2015
You also get to keep more of your money instead of funding your pastor's 4x4 or airplane.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Things That Happen When You Stop Being A Christian by hahn(m): 1:05pm On Oct 13, 2015
Fortunately, I didn't have religion forced down my throat. I was only taught to be nice to people and believe in myself.

Even though at a certain time I tried to believe just so that I didn't seem to be the only one left out, it only seemed more and more ridiculous.

Now, I'm totally free from religious doctrinations. I can love and understand everyone irrespective of their belief and I don't wish them hell fire.
grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Things That Happen When You Stop Being A Christian by An2elect2(f): 1:07pm On Oct 13, 2015
More like 5 things that happen when you stop being a nominal Christian.... How can a genuine Christian stop being a Christian? future impossible.

A true friend will not take sides with you when you wrong. Only a selfish uncaring friend would do that

1 Like

Re: 5 Things That Happen When You Stop Being A Christian by neocortex: 1:46pm On Oct 13, 2015
An2elect2:
More like 5 things that happen when you stop being a nominal Christian.... How can a genuine Christian stop being a Christian? future impossible.

A true friend will not take sides with you when you wrong. Only a selfish uncaring friend would do that

Common Ann, you and I know that true christians don't exist
in real life, you can only find them in the bible.
If in doubt ask elantraceey.
Re: 5 Things That Happen When You Stop Being A Christian by herald9: 3:25pm On Oct 13, 2015
That stare they give you when you walk by... Then they start monitoring you to see whether you'll get ill ... Or die grin

1 Like

Re: 5 Things That Happen When You Stop Being A Christian by MadCow1: 3:27pm On Oct 13, 2015
The Day I lost my faith, I gained my freedom. cool

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Things That Happen When You Stop Being A Christian by frank317: 3:54pm On Oct 13, 2015
herald9:
That stare they give you when you walk by...
Then they start monitoring you to see whether you'll get ill ... Or die grin

Lol.... So that they can finally convince themselves that the devil has finally finished u or their Gods wrath has killed u. Then they pretend they will never die.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Things That Happen When You Stop Being A Christian by Shollyps(m): 4:02pm On Oct 13, 2015
nice one OP
I don't av any experience concerning DAT yet... by the time I.resume for school n I don't attend fellowship programs again that's wen wahala go start

1 Like

Re: 5 Things That Happen When You Stop Being A Christian by johnydon22(m): 4:09pm On Oct 13, 2015
Shollyps:
nice one OP
I don't av any experience concerning DAT yet... by the time I.resume for school n I don't attend fellowship programs again that's wen wahala go start

…Hhmmm this is curious. .

what happened during your stay at home that incited the sudden change ?
Re: 5 Things That Happen When You Stop Being A Christian by stevecantrell: 4:15pm On Oct 13, 2015
@ OP: Ok, if you dump religion and still remain/become a decent person, then fine !

If you still believe in doing unto others what you would want done to you, then fine !

What isn't fine is if you dump religion and become a despicable, self-absorbed, self-involved and grandiose person in the process.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Things That Happen When You Stop Being A Christian by johnydon22(m): 4:35pm On Oct 13, 2015
stevecantrell:
@ OP: Ok, if you dump religion and still remain/become a decent person, then fine !

Having a belief in Gods or religion is not a determinant to human behaviour. . Humans are social beings and so their interactions with each other is necessary for human behaviour and societal norms..

Being empathic towards others, having a compassionate mind for others are necessary fundamental basis for human goodness..

Between what i find to be moral/good is your behaviour towards humans and other life forms on earth..

If you still believe in doing unto others what you would want done to you, then fine !
Personal standards and societal norms are subjective.

I make my own standards and i alone enforce it which is striving to live ethical life of personal fulfillment and aspiring for the greater good of humanity...

What isn't fine is if you dump religion and become a despicable, self-absorbed, self-involved and grandiose person in the process.

Nobody needs religion or belief in Gods to be moral, if one cannot determine the difference between right or wrong in relation to societal interactions then they lack empathy not religion.

A quick look at the Nigeria society, both north and south filled to the brim with deeply religious individuals more than 97% but hosts a disturbing amount of moral decay, greed, violence and savagery (Many of which is in the name of religions like Islamic sharia up north or jungle justice down south) affirms that religion is not and can never be a determinant of human behaviour..

7 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 5 Things That Happen When You Stop Being A Christian by stevecantrell: 4:46pm On Oct 13, 2015
johnydon22:

Nobody needs religion or belief in Gods to be moral, if one cannot determine the difference between right or wrong in relation to societal interactions then they lack empathy not religion.

A quick look at the Nigeria society, both north and south filled to the brim with deeply religious individuals more than 97% but hosts a disturbing amount of moral decay, greed, violence and savagery (Many of which is in the name of religions like Islamic sharia up north or jungle justice down south) affirms that religion is not and can never be a determinant of human behaviour..

[/i][/b]

I totally share your sentiment on the above.

However, I was referring and questioning the OP's concept of "FREEDOM" and "making his own rules" in his post above.
I see no harm and being "FREE" and making your own rules as long as that doesn't impact negatively on your fellow human.

I know a few folks who took a similar decision and took an abysmal plunge as far as morality is concerned. Its uncommon but I've seen it happen.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Things That Happen When You Stop Being A Christian by TrajansKong: 4:50pm On Oct 13, 2015
You all overlooked the 6th thing that shall surely come to pass...

Re: 5 Things That Happen When You Stop Being A Christian by johnydon22(m): 4:56pm On Oct 13, 2015
stevecantrell:

I totally share your sentiment on the above.

However, I was referring and questioning the OP's concept of "FREEDOM" and "making his own rules" in his post above.
I see no harm and being "FREE" and making your own rules as long as that doesn't impact negatively on your fellow human.

I know a few folks who took a similar decision and took an abysmal plunge as far as morality is concerned. Its uncommon but I've seen it happen.

[b]

Being atheistic does not guarantee moral sanity in any way ...

Some people lack independent moral basis so bad that they need to clutch on some abstract concepts to be kept in check..

I have discussed extensively on this forum to know that 80% of theists here think they cannot be good without the idea of a torture prone God.

Such mindset terrifies me because if such people turn atheistic nobody need imagine what they would turn to.

Without the idea of an angry God such people might be serial killers turning the society upside down and on many of these encounters i have openly told them since belief in a God is needed to keep them in check and cub their dangerous tendencies, i am 100% in full support they maintain such beliefs.

It only takes one who understand that we are humans in a human society and therefore must live like humans towards each other knows that HUMANITY itself is the basis of human societal morality..

Too bad many has been taught that only through fear and threat can they be coerced to submit to the moral expectations of the society mostly infused with the dogmas and doctrines of the religion in effect.

For such minds that think that way; I can do nothing but discuss with them and pity them sometimes for being bolted in a psychological prison they don't even know..
[/b]

10 Likes 8 Shares

Re: 5 Things That Happen When You Stop Being A Christian by kolajamesjnr(m): 7:52pm On Oct 13, 2015
For me no. 3 is the hardest but diz dayz I don't let dem get to me
Re: 5 Things That Happen When You Stop Being A Christian by Nobody: 9:17pm On Oct 13, 2015
TrajansKong:
You all overlooked the 6th thing that shall surely come to pass...
cheesy cheesy
Re: 5 Things That Happen When You Stop Being A Christian by Shollyps(m): 9:25pm On Oct 13, 2015
johnydon22:

…Hhmmm this is curious. .

what happened during your stay at home that incited the sudden change ?
lol...my brother....right from my childhood, I always av so many questions concerning religion n God.. like who created God, were is God etc..and also concerning some stories in the Bible.. why can't God just forgive Satan,why punishing the whole human race till date just because one guy eat apple and so on...but I just accepted everything by faith sha.
but wen I begin to read conversions BTW theist n atheist(I enter religion section almost everyday especially during HOLIDAYS).. I begin to see the flaws of religion,I began to question my believe....I don't think a perfect being needs praise or worship, a loving God will not create hell fire for unbelievers ...I began to realise that it doesn't make any sense..the old testament is something else..i still like the new testament n Christian songs sha ....I can't say categorically that am an atheist, but I just don't do religion anymore.. no prayer,no Church ..
but I av a question that is bothering my mind... do you believe in miracles?.. cos av read a lot of spiritual books,listen to audio sermon,read biography about men of God etc...and I realized that they performed many miracles.heal the blind,deaf,raise the dead....are they real?cos I still believe they are..awaiting your reply...
Re: 5 Things That Happen When You Stop Being A Christian by elantraceey(f): 9:41pm On Oct 13, 2015
neocortex:

Common Ann, you and I know that true christians don't exist
in real life, you can only find them in the bible.
If in doubt ask elantraceey.

You quoted the wrong the person, there are real Christians on earth and they are everywhere .

1 Like

Re: 5 Things That Happen When You Stop Being A Christian by johnydon22(m): 9:50pm On Oct 13, 2015
Shollyps:
lol...my brother....right from my childhood, I always av so many questions concerning religion n God.. like who created God, were is God etc..and also concerning some stories in the Bible.. why can't God just forgive Satan,why punishing the whole human race till date just because one guy eat apple and so on...but I just accepted everything by faith sha.
but wen I begin to read conversions BTW theist n atheist(I enter religion section almost everyday especially during HOLIDAYS).. I begin to see the flaws of religion,I began to question my believe....I don't think a perfect being needs praise or worship, a loving God will not create hell fire for unbelievers ...I began to realise that it doesn't make any sense..the old testament is something else..i still like the new testament n Christian songs sha ....I can't say categorically that am an atheist, but I just don't do religion anymore.. no prayer,no Church ..

This is a nice one, atheist and theist arguments paved way for the emergence of reason in you. . . That is always the effect when someone allows reason to scrutinize things believed by faith...

You don't necessarily need to be atheistic though unless you realize you don't share belief in personal Gods.

But as you are now one doesn't really need be atheistic to uphold reason more than faith..

but I av a question that is bothering my mind... do you believe in miracles?.. cos av read a lot of spiritual books,listen to audio sermon,read biography about men of God etc...and I realized that they performed many miracles.heal the blind,deaf,raise the dead....are they real?cos I still believe they are..awaiting your reply...

As a matter of fact i don't ... even as a theist back in the days i never did..

these are con men banking on the gullibility of desperate masses to extort them. . Thats why catholic church as an institution rarely pay mind to these claim because a little scrutiny and investigation shows quite the opposite.

Like i once watched a pastor heal a man that has been allegedly blind from birth and showed him his handkerchief and the man identified the color..

and people were shouting and clapping... How da fuuuuuck did a man blind since birth able to recognize any color when he eventually gets to see them

These are mere childish shenanigans and mostly things that can still happen anyway like malaria got healed ..wink

Maybe they should show us something that cannot be faked like a hand that was cut off grown back again with prayers... wink

after all Buddist monks claim much feat than Christian pastors.. .like levitation..

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Things That Happen When You Stop Being A Christian by elantraceey(f): 9:52pm On Oct 13, 2015
An2elect2:

Exactly, they were just religionists who had a form of godliness but denied the power and I used to be among them till He brought me out and there isn't any sense of peace and freedom that can supersede that which I felt that day.
Re: 5 Things That Happen When You Stop Being A Christian by plaetton: 10:00pm On Oct 13, 2015
Shollyps:

About miracles, my dear lad,
There are no such.

These so-called men of god are marketers who use fake miracles to delude the faithful, the gullible.
Miracles, fake miracles are their strongest selling points that gives them unfettered access to people's pockets.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Things That Happen When You Stop Being A Christian by Nobody: 10:49pm On Oct 13, 2015
Nice on op...but you forgot two things I encounter on daily basis.

1- Funny how you let people know you don't believe in god and these set of people didn't even finish high school would start questioning your disbelief like a detective.

2- Its also funny how you get to be respected after holding down logical debate with them christians,outsmarting them in their delusion, sometimes you get to hear their life stories during the course of the argument and find out, what really happened was coincidental or by chance but their ignorant aZZ would liking it to god. Sorry for the ignorant thing tho, No better word to get it across.
Re: 5 Things That Happen When You Stop Being A Christian by An2elect2(f): 11:18pm On Oct 13, 2015
elantraceey:

Exactly, they were just religionists who had a form of godliness but denied the power and I used to be among them till He brought me out and there isn't any sense of peace and freedom that can supersede that which I felt that day.

Powerful! smiley
Re: 5 Things That Happen When You Stop Being A Christian by macof(m): 12:16am On Oct 14, 2015
Shollyps:

To be honest I've never trusted all those miracles. . Tb Joshua, Iginla, Oyakilome etc I always watched them for any mistakes
I realized they used actors a lot . That was it for me and christianity. ..

(1) (Reply)

Today's Date Is In The Holy Bible [see Where It Is] / What Do Spirits Eat? Do They Consume Lucozade? / What Does The Bible Say About The Prosperity Gospel?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.