Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,700 members, 7,816,869 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:05 PM

Mbgn, The Wrong Message It Sends. - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Mbgn, The Wrong Message It Sends. (1108 Views)

Ugochi Ihezue Wins Most Beautiful Girl In Nigeria MBGN 2017 (Photos) / 2017 MBGN Contestants Rock Bikini In New Pictures / Miss Universe 2015 Host Calls The Wrong Winner (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mbgn, The Wrong Message It Sends. by K9blunt(f): 10:09am On Oct 14, 2015
Well I was quite young when I was fascinated with most beautiful girl in Nigeria until I became an adult:
I started wondering; what is the big deal about MBGN anyway?
What impact does it have for the common woman (man)
Why do the women look more like African/American, African/European than Nigerians

The 3rd question got me more pissed than the rest because left to me if I was president (wishful thinking, lol) I would've scrap MBGN altogether because it’s baseless, degrading (since Africans are supposed to cover their unclothedness) and misleading. Let me state the issues I find disturbing

1 - WEIGHT * now naturally our African (in this case Nigerian) woman is supposed to be plumy to express the healthy woman, with curves in the right places, but what I see on the MBGN program is skinny girls (am not hating o, In fact am skinny thanks to owu, lol) just the way the Europeans /westerners portray their women as skinny and sexy. WHY can't we define our own beauty without the western portrayal of beauty?
It doesn't make sense and with these (forget Agbani Darego) we don't have our identity as a nation.

2 - COMPLEXION * you know that I know that we all know, when you say 'AFRICAN PERSON' the first thing that comes to mind is a black person, not yellow (like miss universe from Calabar. By the way congrats to her) or mixed race. We are black! Save for the people (who are few) that are light skinned and then we have the albinos but they are everywhere. We need to identify our natural color with pride.

3 – HAIR * now I have never in my entire life come across any black lady, both here in Nigeria or television with real Brazilian, Chinese, or Caucasian hair. For goodness sake how low in esteem can we get. Ok I get it’s a personal choice, but you can’t bring your personal choice of fakeness (no offence, but biatch it aint your hair, duh!) to a programme that has to do with your heritage. What happened to nappy afro looks? What happened to Shuku, Didi, even Thread? Are we saying we cannot be creative with our local styles we can’t sell to the world at large?

Maybe am speaking gibberish to those who have accepted defeat….. Sorry the norm of artificiality, of dancing in traditional clothes with Peruvian hair, speaking foney when other countries like france will manage to speak english without faking the knowledge Its not her primary language (biko speak lay English you learnt from your public school let’s know against all odds (like me, lol) can come out to say we can express ourselves, you are portraying a lady that hasn’t left the country.
I won’t put all the blame on our contestants, NO NO NAH! I would blame the sponsors and the host for encouraging and even enforcing the idea of artificiality.
We can’t be screaming “AM BLACK AND PROUD!!!” and expect races/countries to take us serious because we are not serious about ourselves
Just a thought though.
Later.

6 Likes

Re: Mbgn, The Wrong Message It Sends. by hotice01: 10:40am On Oct 14, 2015
Nice one

1 Like

Re: Mbgn, The Wrong Message It Sends. by smokescreen4: 3:26pm On Oct 14, 2015
Nice one op, I really don't see the need for those competitions.

1 Like

Re: Mbgn, The Wrong Message It Sends. by debbydee(f): 11:25am On Oct 15, 2015
nice piece but i hope they will learn
Re: Mbgn, The Wrong Message It Sends. by keishablack(f): 9:01am On Oct 17, 2015
Sad indeed. Perhaps the title shd be changed to most beautiful european wannabe girl in nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Mbgn, The Wrong Message It Sends. by Nobody: 1:32pm On Oct 18, 2015
keishablack:
Sad indeed. Perhaps the title shd be changed to most beautiful european wannabe girl in nigeria.
fvck you grin grin grin

Re: Mbgn, The Wrong Message It Sends. by keishablack(f): 7:47pm On Oct 18, 2015
LadyFiona:
fvck you grin grin grin
No thanks. Perhaps u shd go "F" urself if ur in heat
Re: Mbgn, The Wrong Message It Sends. by Nobody: 8:48am On Oct 19, 2015
keishablack:

No thanks. Perhaps u shd go "F" urself if ur in heat
Thought you have some sense of humour even with that laughing simile.

Sorry, do not be offended.
Re: Mbgn, The Wrong Message It Sends. by sirstanley(m): 9:49am On Oct 19, 2015
LadyFiona:
fvck you grin grin grin
how is dat funny?
Re: Mbgn, The Wrong Message It Sends. by keishablack(f): 11:11am On Oct 19, 2015
LadyFiona:
Thought you have some sense of humour even with that laughing simile.

Sorry, do not be offended.

Well no offense taken. But if "Bleep u" is humorous then apparently i've lost all sense of humor.
Re: Mbgn, The Wrong Message It Sends. by Nobody: 2:30pm On Oct 19, 2015
sirstanley:
how is dat funny?
stop meddling in affairs that has nothing to do with you.

Please do not overflog this issue.

(1) (Reply)

Beautiful Bridesmaid Groups, Which Look Is The Most Beautiful / OK Shoe / Long Sleeved Office Shirts At Giveaway Prices

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.