Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,327 members, 7,815,651 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:55 PM

Six (6) Major Interesting Facts About The Idoma People Of Nigeria - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Six (6) Major Interesting Facts About The Idoma People Of Nigeria (5583 Views)

Before You Marry Idoma Girl: Important Things You Must Know / The Idoma Traditional Attires. / 5 Interesting Facts About The Idoma People Of Benue State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Six (6) Major Interesting Facts About The Idoma People Of Nigeria by patrotic9gerian: 9:01am On Oct 15, 2015
The Idoma culture is perhaps one of the most fascinating cultures in Nigeria. Exceptionally proud of their native heritage, the Idoma people have preserved many of their ancestors’ traditions, a number of them present in their mixture of elaborate traditional tales, artistic expressions, music and varied culture elements.

Like any other society, Idoma people reveal their customs, traditions, beliefs, norms and lifestyle through the distinctive behavioural traits.

1) The Idoma people are not only found in Benue state

The popular idea is that the Idoma are an ethno-linguistic group primarily found in the western areas of Benue State, Nigeria. This is because they are the second largest group in the state and occupy 9 local government areas (L.G.A.’s) which include: Ado, Agatu, Apa, Obi,Ohimini, Ogbadibo, Oju, Okpokwu & Otukpo . Aside from the western parts of benue, this tribe have settlements in other parts of the country, including Nassarawa and Cross Rivers States. The men are obliged by tradition to pound yam for their wives, Unlike other cultures where the woman is expected to perform all culinary chores, the Idoma men are not always exempted.

2) The people strongly believe in the ‘Alekwu spirit’

With the advent of Christianity and other foreign religions, the traditional belief systems of most ethnic groups in the country has been influenced by western practices.

However, a majority of the Idoma people still believe strongly in the Alekwu , which is seen as a link between the living and the dead. They host an annual ‘Aje Alekwu’ festival where traditional religious practitioners commune and make sacrifices in worship of their ancestors across the land.

The Idomas have strong attachment to the worship of Alekwu-spirit of the ancestors which is believed to stand as an invisible watchdog of the family and communities while checkmating vices like adultery, theft and murder.

3) The groom and the rooster

While the marriage rites and customs of the Idoma people is not unlike that of the Ibos and some other south-eastern cultures, there are specific aspects that clearly distinguish their tradition.

One of those specific aspects is the fact that the groom and his family have to present the bride with a rooster and some money on the marriage day after the dowry has already been paid. If she accepts, it is a sign of approval and disinterest if she reject the gift. While there are no certain reasons to justify the need for a rooster, it remains an interesting part of the ceremony.

4) Language Diversity

Classified as a minority ethnic group and often mistaken to be part of the Igbo tribe, the Idoma people are known for one language – Idoma, which is classified in the Akweya subgroup of the Idomoid languages of the Volta–Niger family.

With a population estimated to be about 3.5 million, varied dialects have over time emerged from the umbrella of this mother-tongue and they include ‘Western Idoma’ chiefly spoken by the Okpokwu and Ogbadibo local government areas; ‘Central Idoma’ spoken by Otukpo and Ohimini people; ‘Southern Idoma’ largely spoken by Ado communities and ‘Northern Idoma’ spoken by the Agatu & Apa regions.

5) The Okoho Soup

The Idoma people are known for their love of food, as there is an annual food festival inBenue State to celebrate women and the various traditional cuisines.

Most popular among their delicacies is the Okoho soup which is made with the peculiar Okoho plant, bush meat and many other ingredients.

6) The Colour

The traditional colour of the Idoma people is the red and black

Reference: http://naijaparrot.com/6-major-interesting-facts-about-the-idoma-people/

Re: Six (6) Major Interesting Facts About The Idoma People Of Nigeria by ProFMoore(m): 9:24am On Oct 15, 2015
Nyc write up @ op

FTC tinz!!!

1 Like

Re: Six (6) Major Interesting Facts About The Idoma People Of Nigeria by onuwaje(m): 9:54am On Oct 15, 2015
proudly naija

We need more of this in FP

1 Like

Re: Six (6) Major Interesting Facts About The Idoma People Of Nigeria by Nobody: 10:29am On Oct 15, 2015
The 'groom and rooster' part caught my interest, OP.

Can you possibly elaborate on any role (if any) this rooster might play in the marriage ceremony? Like, is it customary to kill and feast on it as part of the marriage rites?

1 Like

Re: Six (6) Major Interesting Facts About The Idoma People Of Nigeria by patrotic9gerian: 11:03am On Oct 15, 2015
Radoillo:
The 'groom and rooster' part caught my interest, OP.

Can you possibly elaborate on any role (if any) this rooster might play in the marriage ceremony? Like, is it customary to kill and feast on it as part of the marriage rites?

Radoillo...

The rooster stands as a symbol of acceptance or rejection. In some cultures, the palmwine is used to indicate this but for the Idomas, if the bride accepts the rooster, it signifies that she is willing to be with the groom all the days of her life. She also has the authority to kill the rooster and eat as it is just a special gift by tradition from the one who loves her...
Re: Six (6) Major Interesting Facts About The Idoma People Of Nigeria by Nobody: 11:18am On Oct 15, 2015
patrotic9gerian:

Radoillo...

The rooster stands as a symbol of acceptance or rejection. In some cultures, the palmwine is used to indicate this but for the Idomas, if the bride accepts the rooster, it signifies that she is willing to be with the groom all the days of her life. She also has the authority to kill the rooster and eat as it is just a special gift by tradition from the one who loves her...

Ah, I see. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Six (6) Major Interesting Facts About The Idoma People Of Nigeria by Funjosh(m): 4:16pm On Oct 15, 2015
This is a tribe I love so much because of their warm ness towards visitors, when I was their I tried to pounded yam with okhoho soup but I vomited after I tried to swallow the second mole sad

Still want to visit Aila in Agatu LGA again sad
Re: Six (6) Major Interesting Facts About The Idoma People Of Nigeria by patrotic9gerian: 4:54pm On Oct 15, 2015
Funjosh:
This is a tribe I love so much because of their warm ness towards visitors, when I was their I tried to pounded yam with okhoho soup but I vomited after I tried to swallow the second mole sad

Still want to visit Aila in Agatu LGA again sad

Lol.. Trying Okoho for the first time is not going to be easy for you my dear but if you had it more often, I trust you that you will so fall in love with it that you cmay even bite off your fingers... Trying food that you where not grown with is generally not easy especially for the first time but that is the favourite soup of most Idomas because they were born and grew up eating it.,.. Pls if you visit Agatu, try it again.... lol...
Re: Six (6) Major Interesting Facts About The Idoma People Of Nigeria by Funjosh(m): 5:18pm On Oct 15, 2015
patrotic9gerian:

Lol.. Trying Okoho for the first time is not going to be easy for you my dear but if you had it more often, I trust you that you will so fall in love with it that you cmay even bite off your fingers... Trying food that you where not grown with is generally not easy especially for the first time but that is the favourite soup of most Idomas because they were born and grew up eating it.,.. Pls if you visit Agatu, try it again.... lol...

It was my love for the people that make me want to try it then cos I see the excitement on their face both young and old anytime its Okoho, but no spice, no oil and white you know its totally different from what I am used to. But seriously I enjoyed my stay in Aila in Agatu and Rice mill area in Otukpo cool

1 Like

Re: Six (6) Major Interesting Facts About The Idoma People Of Nigeria by patrotic9gerian: 5:49pm On Oct 15, 2015
Funjosh:

It was my love for the people that make me want to try it then cos I see the excitement on their face both young and old anytime its Okoho, but no spice, no oil and white you know its totally different from what I am used to. But seriously I enjoyed my stay in Aila in Agatu and Rice mill area in Otukpo cool
Where do you come from?
Re: Six (6) Major Interesting Facts About The Idoma People Of Nigeria by scholes0(m): 6:12pm On Oct 15, 2015
Re: Six (6) Major Interesting Facts About The Idoma People Of Nigeria by Funjosh(m): 8:01pm On Oct 15, 2015
patrotic9gerian:

Where do you come from?

Yoruba Ogun State

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria Rated As Top Richest Country In Africa / Early Colonial Views Of Igbos And Yorubas In Sierra-leone.. / See Photos Of The Three Wives Of Oba Of Benin And Their Full Names

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.