Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,328 members, 7,836,393 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 07:00 AM

9 Ways To Discover Your Entrepreneurial DNA - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / 9 Ways To Discover Your Entrepreneurial DNA (1203 Views)

10 Websites To Sharpen Your Entrepreneurial Skills / 5 Habits That Will Kill Your Entrepreneurial Dream / How To Awaken Your Entrepreneurial Spirit (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

9 Ways To Discover Your Entrepreneurial DNA by peterpierre1st(m): 5:24pm On Oct 15, 2015
Have you been lied to that owning a business is not for all, especially you? Or you have attempted a business before but it soon hit the rock and you already agreed it is actually true that business are meant for some set of people and not you. That’s not true. You don’t believe me? Okay let me start by asking you this few questions:

– Have you been tired of something and you feel you should have done it differently?

– Have you ever had any reason to want to make money?

– Have you ever had feelings of being independent?

– Have you ever had need for achievement?

– What about a little nudge inside of you to be in control of things?

– Are there things you are so confident and convinced can be done?

– Are there times you notice something ahead and prepared for it to manipulate the outcome?

– Is there something you really have flair for and you are willing to go for at all cost?

– Have you done something before in spite of the obvious negative outcome?

If your answer to most of these questions is YES, then you can own a business of your own.

All the questions above touches on 9 different traits that entrepreneurs exhibits from time to time and they are:

Innovation
Opportunity
Need for Independence
Need for Achievements
Internal locus of control
Self confidence
Proactive and Self-motivation
Vision and Flair
Ability to live with risk

However, I need to mention that I am very much aware that the presence of these traits in people are in various proportion. It’s highly dependent on how willing a person can push further to a break. By definition, entrepreneurs are described as risk-takers, innovators, bold opportunists or restless agents of change. Some even argued that entrepreneurs are born with some unique characteristics that always differentiate them from traditional managers. I believe entrepreneurs are made, not born and in reality no one is born with entrepreneurial gene in them but there are experiences and traits that make it more likely for some to succeed over time. Majority of business leaders we can see today have one time or the other been self-preserved, contented and complacent until a shift came and they transitioned from their former state into who and what they are today. The keyword here is TRANSITION.

Quickly, here are 9 points that shows that entrepreneurial DNA is in you and you have all it takes to have your own business and run it successfully.

#1 Innovation – When was the last time you did something for the first time?

I don’t know if you’ve surprised yourself by doing something you’ve thought was impossible for you and could not even dare attempt it? Maybe once or twice in your entire life. Do you remember how it feels like? That is it. There are possibilities of being limited by natural abilities to get to some heights, but the truth is you are actually limited by your unwillingness and complacency not the nature.

If you have done something differently or surprised yourself by doing something that make you feel WOW, you have it in you it. Consistency is all you need henceforth. Sukart Ratnakar said “Innovation is the outcome of a habit, not a random act” – this implies you don’t need to stop there. Repeat the process of how you make that happen, take conscious effort to kick start that little idea you have in you. Be innovative about it, talk to people that you know can help you put it all together. Don’t give up on that little achievement, try harder, and push yourself to limits and beyond to unlock the entrepreneur in you.

#2 Opportunity – I have heard this several times – “Life is unfair”. Well, if there is any fair thing Life ever gave us it is opportunity. Everyone have equal opportunities in life and our achievement is directly proportional to how much of it we utilize.

We are all born of a woman, 24 hours a day to work, but our achievement differs because of interests, set of beliefs and openness. Small opportunities are often the beginning of great enterprises, the size notwithstanding many have transformed their entire life by focusing on little opportunity that some considered too small to trade on. In my opinion, the opportunity you have now can be the doorway to the next big thing we are all waiting for. So, if you have ever wanted to make more money than you are making now that is the entrepreneurial DNA of opportunities inside of you, look around you for something and place a value on it. You can start from there.

#3 Independence – Freedom is fast becoming the desire of so many people, freedom is a movement, and it is our right. That little feeling of inconvenience about your current state of life is a sign of freedom and independence. You need not look further from where you are standing right now, start from there. If there is anything you want to break free from letting it hold you down to a spot, decide it now and let the entrepreneurial gene find its course. After all, if no changes to achieve financial independence is necessary, you’d already be there. You’d need not to work for anything ever, that same drive is all you need to get started as an entrepreneur.

#4 Achievements – If you have no need for achievements, I believe you won’t be reading this right now. Right from conception we have all been after one thing or another, pursuing laggardly or intentionally to achieve it, but all that matter is we all want to achieve something. Every day is all about achieving something because there is something in all of us to be better than the other even though some will never do anything about it and that is the small push you need to get started.

Dare to achieve, dream big but direct all your efforts into doing something that is positive and would later become a legacy for you as a business person. Maya Angelou submits “All great achievements require time” with time the little desire for achievements will soon become an undying drive for a great enterprise, use it.

#5 Control – No matter how little, everyone wants to be in control. In control of life, money, time and no one want anyone telling us what to do with what we own and have, that feeling is one of the key traits of an entrepreneur. All it take is to be in charge of your thoughts, take full responsibility for all your actions just as you have always done as a senior to a younger brother, leader of a small group and other opportunities you have had to be in control in time past. Take control of your business life, take the plunge and start enjoying the true freedom of being self-employed.

#6 Self Confidence – I have seen timid people achieve extra ordinary feats. Yes, it is very possible because there is always one thing everyone is sure of, everyone belief in something, you may not be able to express your true feelings publicly but that does not mean you can’t do business, all you need is someone that can complement the downside. There is strength in your calmness, don’t fret about what people say, with focus, determination and help of the few that believe you and in no time your business may be the next big thing to happen. Self-confidence is the most attractive quality a person can have. How can anyone see how great you are if you can’t see it yourself? So, get started you have done it before don’t give up now, do it just that same way you did the other time.

#7 Proactive and Self-motivation – Proactive means providing for what is yet to come or happen. Somehow, even though they fail, I saw the F-grade students in my class back in school days read when exam approaches, or put money in your wallet or cook up a lie you sell to a bus conductor in case you don’t have cash and be determined to follow through before boarding a bus to your destination and many more things people do to show that we all prepare for something consciously. What and how we prepare may be indiscriminately different but we all prepare for something. That is the spirit, you can do it. It just take little more efforts to learn methods and frameworks of how it’s been done and I can tell your business can start from there.

#8 Vision and Flair – Have you loved something so much that you begin to plan for it? As a little boy in high school, I remember a time I had flair for a school sandal “Trekkers” an expensive rival for “Kito” sandal back then in school if you know what I am talking about. I wanted to be trendy and have to save for days to get the sandal (trekkers). I got to Oshodi (the commercial hub on the mainland in Lagos, Nigeria) this fateful day and was surprised the price has gone up, I walked round and finally got one with all the cash I have on me including my T-fare, you can imagine what happened but please don’t ask me how it ends…. grin.

So, what about you? If you have done little or big thing because you love something so much then you can really envision a business you want to do for yourself, pursue it and with the right guide and support you can be a CEO too.

#9 Risk taking – Let me be a little blunt here. Life is all about taking risks. If you never take a risk, you will never achieve your dreams. I know you are a dreamer, you have visions and things you want to achieve maybe before the year ends or something for a later time, don’t wait for a perfect moment, take the moment you have now and make it perfect. The real risk is doing nothing. You have done it before, look back and think about all those moments of your life you never had it smooth and some actions you took that if you have told anyone, you know what their response will be. That is the spirit of entrepreneurship, take risks: if you win, you will be happy and if you lose, you will be wise, nothing is lost except ignorance.

FINAL THOUGHTS AND GAME PLAN

The success of a business is largely dependent on you as the owner.

If there is any part of you that appears to be a limitation, don’t let it hold you back.

Take deliberate steps to develop yourself to match your weakness, growth is continuous.

Associate with people that will inspire you and are ready to support you.

Develop these traits in the right proportion.

Don’t be afraid to fail, be afraid not to try. Go for it.

Start Something Today!

Like what you just read?

Please share the story and leave a comment.

http://www.spabusinessplaybook.com/start-a-business/9-ways-to-discover-your-entrepreneurial-dna/

3 Likes

Re: 9 Ways To Discover Your Entrepreneurial DNA by atop1(m): 7:23pm On Oct 15, 2015
ok
Re: 9 Ways To Discover Your Entrepreneurial DNA by Jude015(m): 11:19pm On Oct 16, 2015
Very gud piece
Re: 9 Ways To Discover Your Entrepreneurial DNA by Indifferent(m): 12:32am On Oct 17, 2015
Nice one. Feeling motivated. But capital is still a huge factor !
Re: 9 Ways To Discover Your Entrepreneurial DNA by peterpierre1st(m): 4:54am On Oct 17, 2015
Indifferent:
Nice one. Feeling motivated. But capital is still a huge factor !

Yes, I couldn't agree more but like how much are you talking? I may be able to help you break it down to a smaller unit and you may not be needing up to what you think you need to get started. Shoot me a mail at spa@spabusinessplaybook.com
Re: 9 Ways To Discover Your Entrepreneurial DNA by peterpierre1st(m): 4:55am On Oct 17, 2015
Thanks, expect more.

Jude015:
Very gud piece
Re: 9 Ways To Discover Your Entrepreneurial DNA by NaijaPress: 2:56pm On Feb 17, 2020
When it comes to make your business successful, there are no manual, simply do the right things...

(1) (Reply)

2 Plots With 2 Units Of Room And Parlour Self Contain For Sale / Apple Buys A Nigerian-owned ICT Firm For $1 Billion / Which Business Is Good Among These Two

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.