Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,424 members, 7,815,957 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:09 PM

Letter To My Unborn Child '2015' - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Letter To My Unborn Child '2015' (575 Views)

A Letter To My Unborn Kids (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Letter To My Unborn Child '2015' by Hidentity(m): 6:38pm On Oct 16, 2015
Dear Child,

Inner persons, it is four years today that the idea of writing you struck me. Since then, it has become a yearly practice to make out time to address you. One thing is certain- there are a thousand and one letters of this kind flying around the cyberspace. However, beyond the letters of this literal culture, you and I know that this pursuit is one with sincerity of purpose, an expression of events and the conviction that you are aware of this. You know me, I am no believer in fairy tales, but I hear your voices in my head every time. Little ones, easy on me, you are not rushing down here- there is time for everything. I'll play my role in making your arrival worthwhile. We have enough babies made by mistakes in our world, you cannot afford to be one. True, the pace may be slow, but I am moving- it hasn't worked out yet, but you know that I am strong-willed. Senior one, call your siblings, father is here again.

There is a major development now child, I am now a certified legal professional. Hey, take it easy on that celebratory clatter- being a lawyer is just a means to the end. What life demands from us all is beyond the professional callings. On your choice of career, I suspect that you or one of your siblings may be moved to opt for legal profession because of me. Please do not, it is a trap. We have a lot of them around- lawyers that were made out of compulsion, accident, shallow reasons and the selfish interests of their parents to pride in the fact that their children are members of this noble family. See, I have met more than enough of them heaving under epic burden of frustration as a result of that decision. Some are doing quite well, but for the others, a mere confrontation with the reality has shown them that they got it wrong the day they choose this profession on a shallow basis- they have left their essence and purpose in the waste bin in a bid to live the life of another. Where the same challenges made those of us who took that path because of passion refill our pouch of determination, they are left retreating as fast as they can. So, come here to live your life: a new one devoid of wrong influences. It is okay to be a lawyer as long as you have the passion.

Child, beware of those boyfriends and girlfriends walking the boulevards. Most pairs are so empty that one can't even imagine the degree. Right, they all look good outside and filled with values, but it is just the facade of a balloon: balloon looks pregnant but when pressure makes it burst, nought is revealed. Son, most of these girlfriends have nothing to offer except sex, it is a bitter truth that I even find hard to express, but review your relationship with them every few months, if sex doesn't take you some inches close to your goals, wear your shoes. Daughter, see those boyfriends, most can't afford what it takes to make you better. Yes, it is not bad to accept his gifts and pass time together, but is he worth it? If he can buy you ice cream and expensive things and you are still mentally stagnant, run for he is the real poor guy, not the determined boy who can't afford you a cup of ice cream at the moment. Child, kisses and cuddles are not prohibited in my dictionary, but know that you can't stop at just that with some people. Way out? Give it to the right person and you won't regret it. To know the right one is both intuitional and emotional, but do not let this knowledge show via your sleeves- men are deft at beating that.

Child, in choosing him or her, it is not sufficient to go for one thing. There are issues in a relationship that beauty will address, intelligence addresses some, a sense of humour solves some, patience deals with some, honesty is key too and friendship does sometimes. So, if you opt for just intelligence, what will happen when a problem that beauty should address turns up? I recommend an intelligent person with whom you can be proud to hold converse. I will also like you to consider beauty to an extent. He or she must be honest enough to say No to subsequent seeming better offer after yours is successful. That way, you're not likely to die of heart attack. Child, by a way of obiter, did you notice what the wrong understanding of religion has done to us as a people? I am afraid that with our type of mindsets, religions will make this world worse than anyone can imagine. Listen to me, in the process of your formation, you will become a human before you become further distinguished by ethnic group and then the religion you will come to meet us practising. Note that being human comes first, never let religion or ethnicity cloud your passion to strive for the betterment of humanity.

Child, I can say that I have met your potential mother. A charismatic lady at that. Here is it, she taught me the difference between the typical girlfriend and a lady. I stopped having a girlfriend like my peers the day I won her. Without her knowing, your potential mother made me realize that boys have girlfriends and girls have boyfriends, but males of class go for ladies, while ladies opt for men. I can assure you that you will see beyond a lover in a lady like I see in her- she will be your best friend, your number one fan, chief critic, business partner, co-strategist, motivation, inspiration, a royal pain in your ass and a lot that most of these common girlfriends and boyfriends can ever offer in this life or their next. That is the spirit child, go for thinkers. I pray that God will show you the ONE, but it is your duty to keep her just like I intend to do to your potential mother. Child, steer clear of abusive relationships. It is not just about him beating you up or playing you. It extends to you going out of your way to buy her gifts, seeing no way with her and insisting there is way. It extends to a partner who does not see you or your opinion as relevant. Your love must not be blind to fundamental faults, but you can ignore the trivial ones.

Child, do not flaunt your achievements on the social media or anywhere. That is the hallmark of people with a sense of insecurity and those struggling to stay relevant. With your achievements, you can teach people that they can do it, but don't go the way of the average boys and girls in my generation. If flaunting interests your neighbour, live and let him live, but note this: he will only make a noise while you make the news. Remember, do not ever let temporal people or things come between you, your dreams and your loved ones. They will go, but the regret is usually a stubborn one, it will last a life time. On education, I will like you to be schooled, but more importantly is what your knowledge will make of you and what you will make of it. Child, as for me, knowledge is not power, the right application of knowledge is power. So, if engineering is what you are vast at, sell your inventions but do not trade your conscience in the process. And don't be like me, attend class religiously- i was a renowned truant at a point. But know that what attracts success is not limited to the four walls of the classroom. In fact, the things I learnt outside class on my own are those paving way for me to apply the things I learnt in class. Be vast in the content of books, be deft at dealing on the street, be a scholar in the management of men and yes, pray, for you'll likely not stray.

If you realise that you're taking life too serious, please attend a funeral- advisably that of a Muslim, the sight should make for a perfect sermon. Learn the beauty in music, a good sleep, a reflective stroll and friendship. If you're running out of wisdom, have an intellectual excursion through the book of Proverbs.
Look, you will experience a broken heart at a stage in life, it is necessary to grow and understand some basic rules about life. I've had mine broken, I did to someone too- it is one of those instances where experience takes its role as a master. If you feel like crying, don't hold it, shed the tears and discharge the burden, but not the lesson.

Child, I will stop here with a mind full of hope that I am not denied the grace to write you the next. I have a lot to say, but the page is short of lines...

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Letter To My Unborn Child '2015' by Hardethaewoh(m): 7:33pm On Oct 16, 2015
nice write up!...
first time I'm seeing this kinda letter written by a man though

(1) (Reply)

The Thrilling Sequels Of An Adventure Of The Night. / War Against Ignorance / The Witch

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.