Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,385 members, 7,812,136 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:51 AM

PICTURE: Teeny Tortoise Twins Hatch From Same Egg - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / PICTURE: Teeny Tortoise Twins Hatch From Same Egg (1289 Views)

The World’s Oldest Tortoise Is Still Having Sex Daily Aged 186 / End Time... A Man In Russia Injects His Sperm In Chicken Egg. See What He Finds. / Meet Alagba, A 330-Year-Old Tortoise Found In Ogbomoso, Oyo State (Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

PICTURE: Teeny Tortoise Twins Hatch From Same Egg by james809: 10:56am On Oct 17, 2015
In the human world, a pair of twins isn't anything out of the ordinary, but how often do we hear about twin tortoises?

New Jersey-based conservation organization Garden State Tortoise recently took to social media to share their account of the hatching of two tortoise twins from a single egg.

"Last night, I noticed a Western Hermann's tortoise (T. h. hermanni) having an issue breaking out of its egg. I don't like to intervene but I'm glad I did this time. The egg contained TWINS. Perfectly formed, sharing the same yolk sac, the slightly larger of the two was the one trying to break out. Both are healthy and as of this morning the yolk sac is about 85% absorbed," the organization wrote in a Facebook post earlier this week.

Several days after the tortoises hatched, keepers used dental floss to safely sever the twins' yolk sac:

Endemic to southern Europe, the Hermann's tortoise (Testudo hermanni) is known for the striking black and yellow pattern on its shell, which fades as the creature ages. A fully grown tortoise can measure up to 7 inches long, although adults as short as 3 inches have been identified.

source : http://www.discovery.com/dscovrd/wildlife/teeny-tortoise-twins-hatch-from-same-egg/

Re: PICTURE: Teeny Tortoise Twins Hatch From Same Egg by marv1: 10:01pm On Oct 17, 2015
Hmmnn
Re: PICTURE: Teeny Tortoise Twins Hatch From Same Egg by james809: 10:16pm On Oct 17, 2015
things are happening
Re: PICTURE: Teeny Tortoise Twins Hatch From Same Egg by sinaj(f): 11:42pm On Oct 17, 2015
Miracle smiley

I admire d way Caucasians take care of animals smiley

(1) (Reply)

Five Amazing Extinct Creatures That Aren’t Dinosaurs / Alert-----payersworld.com Is Launching By 8pm Today....10k To Get 40k / The Moon Tonight In Benin City Looks Very Awsome. (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.