Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,391 members, 7,815,833 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:07 PM

Diagnosis Of Nigeria's Malady And, Solution. - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Diagnosis Of Nigeria's Malady And, Solution. (475 Views)

Woman Transforms Herself Into A Dragon After Receiving An HIV Diagnosis. Pics / Breaking News!!! The Hidden Truth And Solution To MMM Nigeria Crisis. / Health Malady Trends Like Fat And Inherited Disorder. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Diagnosis Of Nigeria's Malady And, Solution. by graciousolo(m): 3:24pm On Oct 17, 2015
I am in constant pain each time I visit any thread on NL(or any other social platform) that talks about tribe or religion, because I know that the it will be flooded with words of stereotypes, prejudice and, discrimination.

Most of us know what these terms are, but I'll like to highlight them.

Stereotype-a 'generalised' belief that associates a whole group to certain traits/characteristics/behaviour.

Prejudice-evaluation of others, solely based on their membership of a particular group.

Discrimination-acting towards others, solely, based on their membership of a particular group.

As much as stereotypes are not totally wrong, they are also not totally correct. So it'll be absurd and ludicrous if 'intellectuals' are involved in this ill act. Even if an individual from a certain tribe offends you, it doesn't mean others from that tribe can't please you. No group of people is totally good or bad.

Imagine you calling a person from another tribe, all sort of names only to find out that except from your ethnic differences you share the same sentiments on all other fronts(religion, politics, academics etc).

I have evaluated prejudice from all angles and I dare say that "people who hold negative prejudice are victims, or victims of victims and, should be treated as such". I'll give a examples: My aunt( a good woman by all standards) will once in a while say things like "graciousolo wink, be careful of Yoruba people ooo, they can't be trusted" I got to find out that she experienced the Biafran war and faced a lot of discrimination during her early years in Lagos. She was a victim.

I remember following a good friend of mine who is Yoruba to his house, his mum didn't know I'm Igbo(people rarely know my tribe from my looks). Sometimes in conversations she'll warn me of Igbo people, she'll say "awon Igbo buru ooo"(Igbo people are wicked). She was probably a victim too, or a victim' victim.
These people were right in their own senses, but wrong actually, because common sense proves them wrong.

This experience is a regular thing if you grew in cities like Lagos. If I had let that circle continue, I would have been a 'victim of victims'. I have other stereotypes for Hausa's and other tribes, countries and race, but I know better.

I've found out that random people generally behave either good bad. I've have had interactions with people from different tribes(I travel a lot) and I can boldly say that "No group of people is totally good or totally bad".

It's funny that some people discriminate, just because of eye colour, others because of hair colour(whites in this case).
Some people believe all short people are always angry and stubborn(how can that be true?).
Did you know that different factions of Christians/Muslims sometimes acts discriminately to each other(unbelievable aiit?).

My point is... it's silly holding on to stereotypes and, being a discriminator.

A little more on prejudice...

Foundation of prejudice:

*Prejudice is learnt from parents and other forms of models.

*Prejudice also arise from the need to identify with a certain group, this mostly leads to ethnocentrism(a counter theory is cultural relativism).

*It might stir up as a result of competition for scarce resources.

Effects of prejudice:

*It'll ultimately lead to discrimination.

*It'll will lead to self-serving prophecy. Yes! that person might end up acting the way you expected.

*Discrimination can lead to unlimited things; denial of privilege, which could lead to all sorts of social malignity.

Reducing prejudice:

*Increased contact between the target of stereotyping and the stereotype holder.

*Making values and norms against prejudice more conspicuous.

*Educate yourself(with an open mind).

*Very importantly; judge, evaluate individuals for who they are.

Finally, we don't need the government to help us on this one, Infact they gain when we hold these stereotypes, They don't fear being evaluated, because 'their people' will always, almost sheepishly defend them.

All you need is you to change your attitude and behaviour for a better society. Make a pledge to see people who treat you with prejudice as victims(victims are pitied and shown compassion).

I hope I have persuaded YOU to be liberal. Throw bigotry, discrimination and, ethnocentrism out! But always be cautious when dealing with people. Thank you.

#NoToDiscrimination #DiscriminatorsAreVictims #VictimsArePitied #MessageToPeopleEverywhere

Reference: Understanding Psychology
(10th Ed) (gnv 64).pdf.

(1) (Reply)

Facts About Women/ladies / Dispute Over Edo Cement Plant Site Deepens / Good Morning Nairalander. I Will Like To Share My Testimony On How I Do Detox Pr

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.