Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,019 members, 7,818,021 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:58 AM

Soft-shelled eggs - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Soft-shelled eggs (711 Views)

Shelled Maize For Sale. / 80tons Of Shelled Groundnuts Needed / SOLD! PHOTOS: Shelled Groundnuts For Sale (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Soft-shelled eggs by rastamouse: 3:29pm On Oct 17, 2015
IN my early years as turkey farmer I remember checking my coop for up to ten times a day hoping to pick an egg! I was always eager to lay my hands on an egg and each time I found one the feeling was great. I still love picking the eggs each day but I no more do it ten times a day!

My first experience with a soft-shelled egg was quite scary. When I saw the egg I quickly realized something was not right from the way the egg was lying on the floor. When I picked it up, I realized the egg had a shell alright but the egg was so soft I could push it in! Note that there is difference between soft-shelled and no-shell egg.

Non-shelled eggs don't have shells at all! The egg is covered with just a membrane which is very soft and smooth compared to the hard-gritty shell. Soft-shelled eggs however have shell but is badly formed.

As I indicated earlier when I saw the egg I instinctively knew it was not normal. I rushed in and did some internet research to see if anything was wrong. It has been several years now since that experience. I have since come into contact with several soft-shelled eggs. Most people are interested in knowing what causes turkeys to lay soft-shelled eggs.

There are several factors responsible for turkeys laying such eggs. Some of them are:

https://turkeyview..com/2015/10/soft-shelled-eggs.html
Re: Soft-shelled eggs by rastamouse: 4:22pm On Oct 17, 2015
Anyone with an experience? Share it here https://turkeyview..com/2015/10/soft-shelled-eggs.html
Re: Soft-shelled eggs by noeloge82(m): 6:14pm On Oct 17, 2015
Viral infection can cause it
Then feed can also cause that
Re: Soft-shelled eggs by rastamouse: 7:19pm On Oct 17, 2015
noeloge82:
Viral infection can cause it
Then feed can also cause that

You are very right. In fact disease is one of the biggest causes
Re: Soft-shelled eggs by twoMcfemad: 7:39pm On Oct 17, 2015
How Old are your birds?
When last were they vaccinated? Vaccine given?
What type of Feed are you given them?
Answers to the above will help.
Thanks!
Re: Soft-shelled eggs by Akwasi(m): 5:26am On Oct 19, 2015
rastamouse:
Anyone with an experience? Share it here https://turkeyview..com/2015/10/soft-shelled-eggs.html

I checked out the story and it's intriguing. Saw that egg for the first time on your blog. Great picture

(1) (Reply)

The Extra Ordinary Benefits Of Coconut. / Cautions For Harvesting Potatoes / New Discovery Helpful To Plantain Farmers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.