Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,848 members, 7,810,267 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:45 AM

How Is Diabetes Managed - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / How Is Diabetes Managed (880 Views)

10 Early Warning Signs Of Diabetes You Should Not Ignore / What Is Diabetes Mellitus The Silent Killer And Who Can Get It? / What Is Diabetes Mellitus And Who Can Get It? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Is Diabetes Managed by Obebedy(m): 11:25am On Oct 18, 2015
Diabetes is managed by keeping blood sugar under control and as close to normal as possible. For most people with diabetes, a healthy range is between 90 and 130 mg/dl before meals and less than 180 mg/dl at one to two hours after a meal. This is the key to avoiding complications and discomfort. Here are some ways to manage diabetes:

Exercise. Work up to at least 30 minutes a day, most days of the week. Regular physical activity helps to manage diabetes. People with diabetes should talk to their doctor or health care provider before starting any exercise plan. Some good ways to get exercise are to:

Take a brisk walk (outside or inside on a treadmill).Go dancing.Take a low-impact aerobics class.

To be cont............
Re: How Is Diabetes Managed by Obebedy(m): 2:33pm On Oct 18, 2015
Take a brisk walk (outside or inside on a treadmill).
Go dancing.
Take a low-impact aerobics class.
Swim or do water aerobic exercises.
Ice-skate or roller-skate.
Play tennis.
Ride a stationary bicycle indoors.

Park the car farther away from your destination.
Get on or off the bus several blocks away from your stop.
Take the stairs instead of the elevator or escalator.
Exercise while watching TV.
Walk around while you talk on the phone.
Play with the kids.
Take the dog for a walk.
Take the stairs instead of the elevator or escalator.
Get up to change the TV channel instead of using the remote control.
Work in the garden or rake leaves.
Clean the house.
Wash the car.
Stretch out your chores. For example, make two trips to take the laundry downstairs instead of one.
Park at the far end of the grocery store lot and walk to the store.
At work, walk over to see a co-worker instead of calling or emailing.
Stretch or walk around instead of taking a coffee break and eating.
During your lunch break, walk to the post office or do other errands.
Re: How Is Diabetes Managed by Obebedy(m): 8:00am On Oct 19, 2015
Choose Healthy Food. Good nutrition is a very important part of diabetes management. People with diabetes should work with their diabetes healthcare team to develop an eating plan that meets their personal food preferences while keeping blood glucose in a healthy range. By choosing nutritious foods and balancing what and how much you eat with activity level, blood sugar levels can be kept as close to normal as possible. Here are a few tips on making healthy food choices for the entire family.
Eat lots of vegetables and fruits. Try picking from the rainbow of colors available to add variety to your meals. Choose more non-starchy vegetables that have lots of vitamins and minerals such as spinach, carrots, broccoli or green beans with meals.
Re: How Is Diabetes Managed by Obebedy(m): 10:05pm On Oct 19, 2015
Choose whole grain foods instead of processed grain products like white bread, white rice or regular pasta. Try brown rice with your stir-fry or whole wheat spaghetti with your favorite pasta sauce.
Include fish in your meals two to three times a week and choose lean meats like chicken and turkey without the skin. To prepare meats and fish with less fat, trim any visible fat and use low-fat cooking methods such as broiling, grilling, roasting, poaching or stir-frying.
Include dried beans (like kidney or pinto beans) and lentils in your meals.
Choose low fat dairy products such as milk, yogurt and cheese (1 percent fat or less).
Choose liquid oils such as canola, olive or peanut oil for cooking, instead of solid fats such as butter, lard and shortening. Remember that all fats are high in calories. If you're trying to lose weight, cut back on portion sizes of added fats.
Choose fruit that is in-season for dessert – you'll get more flavor and pay less too! Try to cut back on high-calorie dessert and snack foods such as chips, cookies, cakes and ice cream that give you and your family little nutrition.
Re: How Is Diabetes Managed by Obebedy(m): 11:56am On Nov 01, 2015
Take Your Medicine. It is important for people with diabetes to know what medicines they are taking, why they are taking them and how to take them. People with diabetes should tell their doctor or health care provider if they are taking any herbs or other supplements.

Check Blood Sugar. A doctor or health care provider can explain how to test blood sugar and how often it should be checked.

Quit Smoking. The NYS Smoker's Quitline (1-866-697-8487) provides help to people who want to stop smoking.

A1C Blood Test. This blood test measures the average blood sugar over the last three months. It should be done two to four times a year. An A1C measure of less than 7 percent is the goal. (More information on A1C testing for diabetes control).

Blood Pressure. This should be checked at each visit to a doctor or health care provider. A blood pressure reading of less than 130/80 mmHg is the goal.
Re: How Is Diabetes Managed by Obebedy(m): 11:57am On Nov 01, 2015
Cholesterol. A lipid profile blood test should be checked once a year. This includes total cholesterol, triglycerides, LDL and HDL. The total cholesterol should be less than 200 mg/dL, the LDL (known as the bad cholesterol) should be less than 100 mg/dL and the HDL (known as the good cholesterol) should be greater than 40 mg/dL for men and greater than 50 mg/dL for women.

Eye Exam. A dilated eye exam should be done every year by an optometrist or ophthalmologist (an eye doctor who specializes in eye diseases). During a dilated eye exam, eye drops are used to make the pupil (the black part of the eye) bigger. This allows the eye doctor to see the back of the eye. Finding eye problems early and getting treatment right away will help prevent more serious problems later on.

Foot Exam. It is important that people with diabetes take off their shoes and socks at every doctor's visit and learn how to check their feet daily for cuts, breaks in the skin, or ingrown toenails. The doctor also needs to know if there are any changes in the color or shape of the feet, or if there is any pain or lack of sensation.
Re: How Is Diabetes Managed by juman(m): 7:55pm On Nov 01, 2015
Nice thread.
Re: How Is Diabetes Managed by Obebedy(m): 4:12pm On Nov 03, 2015
Kidney Test. People with diabetes need to have a blood or urine test ordered by their doctor every year to check how well their kidneys are working.

Fluid Shot. A flu shot should be given once every year. A doctor or health care provider may also order a pneumonia shot.

Dental Exam. It is important that people with diabetes have their teeth and gums checked every six months.

Coping Skills. People with diabetes may need to talk to their health care team about any feelings, problems or questions they may have. People with diabetes are at higher risk for depression.
Re: How Is Diabetes Managed by Obebedy(m): 4:18pm On Nov 03, 2015
Take diabetes seriously.

You may have heard people say they have “a touch of diabetes” or that their “sugar is a little high.” These words suggest that diabetes is not a serious disease. That is not correct. Diabetes is serious, but you can learn to manage it.

People with diabetes need to make healthy food choices, stay at a healthy weight, move more every ray, and take their medicine even when they feel good. It’s a lot to do. It’s not easy, but it’s worth it!
Re: How Is Diabetes Managed by Obebedy(m): 4:21pm On Nov 08, 2015
Taking care of yourself and your diabetes can help you feel good today and in the future. When your blood sugar (glucose) is close to normal, you are likely to:

have more energy
be less tired and thirsty
need to pass urine less often
heal better
have fewer skin or bladder infections
You will also have less chance of having health problems caused by diabetes such as:

heart attack or stroke
eye problems that can lead to trouble seeing or going blind
pain, tingling, or numbness in your hands and feet, also called nerve damage
kidney problems that can cause your kidneys to stop working
teeth and gum problems
Re: How Is Diabetes Managed by Obebedy(m): 10:04pm On Nov 14, 2015
People with diabetes have to eat a carbohydrate-free diet:

Truth: people with diabetes have to eat a diet that is balance; they are not to abstain from carbohydrates completely as they are the chief source of energy. The amount or portion is to be reduced.

They are advised to avoid food item that are directly absorbed with little or no digestion like carbonated soft drinks and artificial juice,table sugar,etc as they tend to shoot up blood glucose rapidly.... Happy world diabetes day
Re: How Is Diabetes Managed by Obebedy(m): 10:15pm On Nov 14, 2015
Dear Friend,

My Name is Damilola and I'm here because of you. Many of my research work and reports have helped over 220 Nigerians to Overcome Diabetes and helped them Regain Their Health and Life Back.

If you have been struggling with Diabetes and would like to enjoy better health and deal with this problem in the Shortest possible time From Now...

...then Let Me Show You How to get this done!

How you can Get Rid Of Diabetes within Few Months even if everything else that you have tried didn't work for you.
A Natural Supplement almost nobody is aware of , that can help you overcome Uncomfortable Diabetic Symptoms.
How to overcome your Diabetes problems.

...and lots more. Contact me on bbm 556f8335 or call 08035535370 or 08097024174 or whatsapp 08035535370
Re: How Is Diabetes Managed by Obebedy(m): 10:18pm On Nov 14, 2015
I saved my leg from getting amputated

I’m aged 62 years and live in chattisgarh, a small village. I did not know when I got the diabetes disease. I got my leg infected due to the high sugar level and pus formation was never getting healed. I went to city hospitals and met several doctors, they all refused treatment saying it is too advanced stage and the only option is to cut or amputate the leg.

Around this time, I was told about Natural Aloe Vera Supplements which can help me. I was told that my leg could be saved by using purest form of Aloe Vera. I was told to drink Aloe Vera, apply Aloe Gelly and spray Aloe First on the wound / affected area. In 15 days time, as if like a miracle, my sugar level dropped from 500 to 126 for the very first time. I stopped taking injections My leg started to heal up and I saved my leg from getting amputated.

I'm very thankful and greatful
Re: How Is Diabetes Managed by Obebedy(m): 9:03pm On Nov 16, 2015
For the past 4 years I have been a diabetic, at which time I was taking 80 units of insulin daily. In july 2014, I was introduced to the Aloe Vera products by two gentlemen, Mr. John and Mr. Dammy

I was a bit skeptical about the product at first when they told me that it could help my health. Three weeks after I received 2 bottles of Aloe Vera, I started to drink 9 ounces of it every day. After taking the juice, I started to have severe headaches, not knowing that because of the Aloe Vera, I was taking too much insulin.

I decided to go to my doctor to get my blood monitored. My doctor did a complete blood analysis and told me to reduce my insulin by 2 units every second day an to continue seeing her so she could monitor my blood. I went to see her the following week and instead of reducing my insulin by 2 units a day, she told me to reduce it by 4 units, after that I was told to one and see her every Wednesday for one month.

By the end of the month, I was completely off my insulin, this makes me the happiest man in the Universe, and I am also happy to say that in the space of 2 ½ months, I have lost 45 pounds, of which my regular weight was 255.

I am happy and proud to be a member of Forever Living Products and since becoming involved, I have introduced our great Aloe Vera products to several people who have had great results…
Re: How Is Diabetes Managed by Obebedy(m): 7:46pm On Nov 21, 2015
A sight without vision is worst than been blind. Grab this Opptunity and be free of diabeties.

A trial will convince you

Contact us on bbm 556f8335 or call 08035535370,08097024174 or whatsapp 08035535370

1 Share

Re: How Is Diabetes Managed by viczo(m): 7:16am On Nov 22, 2015
you can cure diabetes instead of managing it,we have natural medine that helps in curing diabetes within a month.we are based in abuja,feel free to call us on 08186745301.we cure but God heals
Re: How Is Diabetes Managed by Obebedy(m): 9:06pm On Feb 09, 2016

(1) (Reply)

Ultra Water Flosser At Micostar Mall / UNBELIEVABLE: Twins In Vietnam Found To Have Different Fathers After DNA Test / Scientists Endorse Herbs For Diabetes’ Treatment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.