Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,972 members, 7,817,855 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:17 PM

The Unforgettable Bus Ride: A Short Story - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Unforgettable Bus Ride: A Short Story (3979 Views)

Strangest Bus Ride / Fate And Fortune(a Short Story) / It Pays To Be Honest(a Short Story) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Unforgettable Bus Ride: A Short Story by D9ty7(m): 7:50pm On Oct 19, 2015
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED, NO PART OF THIS PUBLICATION MAY BE REPRODUCED IN ANY FORMAT WITHOUT A PRIOR WRITTEN APPROVAL FROM THE AUTHOR WHO HOLDS THE EXCLUSIVE RIGHTS.
CONTACT THE AUTHOR VIA: durodolad9ty7@gmail.com or +2348166920449 on whatsapp.
This piece has been published on Okadabooks.com and is copyrighted under the copyright laws of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

Re: The Unforgettable Bus Ride: A Short Story by D9ty7(m): 7:52pm On Oct 19, 2015
SYNOPSIS/PITCH

CHRIS wanted to play a fast one on ELLA, and even though he succeeded with
the first phase of his plan, he ended up being dealt a huge blow by the time
the bus arrived Ibadan. READ AND LAUGH

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Unforgettable Bus Ride: A Short Story by Greyworld: 7:56pm On Oct 19, 2015
Puntuality is the "soul" of business
Re: The Unforgettable Bus Ride: A Short Story by D9ty7(m): 7:57pm On Oct 19, 2015
--*--
I walked into the motor-park located in the popular Saw-mill area of Ilorin, the capital of Kwara state dressed in a white fitted polo T-shirt and a back three quarter shorts. I had my small sized traveling bag on my right band, while I held my phone and tablet with my left, my bag pack was strapped to my back. I was returning to Ibadan after a very stressful semester at school.
I calmly walked towards the segment of the park where Ibadan bound vehicles were parked and loaded with passengers in turns.
"Schoolboy, this is the car in turn." One of the park's staff approached me as he collected my box, at the same time trying to wrestle me of my bag pack but I resisted his goodwill.
I stood defiantly as I took my time to check the said vehicle next to travel. It was an ash-coloured Toyota Sienna. More like a space bus which could take six passengers excluding the driver. As a 300level student, I have come to understand the different means of traveling and which is most comfortable. I have at a point in time travelled by land ( buses and cars) there was a time I travelled by rail because I extravagantly expended my allowance ( transport fare inclusive)
I know how boring traveling by this space bus could be, because, with seven people inside the vehicle, striking a private conversation could really be impossible at time. And with this journey I intend to make now, there is no way I was going to travel by this space bus. Therefore, I decided to wait for the next eighteen sitter bus in turn.
"I will wait for the next bus." I told the park worker who stared at me in disbelief.
"You mean you will wait?" He asked.
"Yeah." I replied.
"Go over there and sit." He gave my box to me, while I made for a shed made from wood and sat down on an empty bench, putting my luggage in front of me.
I watched with fascination, the way and manner with which the park workers conducted themselves, how the drivers approached travelers, how the traders marketed and sold their wares. Just then, my eyes fell on a beautiful damsel walking towards my direction. Judging from her appearance, one could tell she is also a student. I was so engrossed and carried away that I didn't know when she got to where I was.
"Hi." She waved her hand across my face. And action which brought me out of my reverie.
"Hello." I stuttered.
"Please, am going to Lag and I don't know where to get the right bus. A friend asked me to take an Ibadan bound bus first and from there board a bus to Lag." She explained her predicament.
I stood at loss of what to tell her or advice her to do, but deep down, I knew whatever advice I had to give must be to my advantage. Judging from her appearance and stature, I knew she is a 100level student and it is the belief that year one students are naive and ignorant of so many things. I was out to have a fling (as it in my nature) with this young girl. Even though she is mate with my little sister who is also a year one student at the prestigious University of Benin, I am determined to forge on with her regardless of the age difference, even though the thought of someone doing the same with my sister angered me.
"Well, Lagos bound buses are not easy to find here by this time of the day. Twelve o'clock. Except you are stopping at Agege. But, to other parts of Lagos, you either come in the morning or you take a bus to Ibadan, then take a Lagos bound bus from there." I explained, even though, right behind the shed we were was where Lagos buses are arranged, but I knew I stand to gain a lot if I traveled with her. Leading her to where the Lagos bound buses are means a loss to me.
"How much is Ibadan from here?" She asked.
"1k." I replied.
"And Lagos from Ibadan is?" She asked.
" one thousand five hundred naira." I answered, but to backup my claims, I added. "Lagos from Ilorin here is three thousand naira."
"So, that means I will be saving five hundred naira by splitting?" She said.
I smiled happily. "Yeah, and you could even save more with...." I stopped before I said something out of place.
"With what?" She asked.
"Never mind." I smiled.
She stared at me intently, as if she could see through my lies and deceit.
"My name is Ella." She extended her hand for a handshake which I took warmly.
"Chris." I replied.
She sat down beside me as we talked and gisted. Luckily, she is a Mass Communications student and her oratory skills is top notched. While me being a student of History and International relations, I am pretty good at holding conversations.
Ten minutes into our conversation, the shed was almost filled and by then, an Ibadan bound eighteen sitter bus was loading already.
"Let's get ourselves where to sit." I said as we stood up with our luggage, even though she had her handbag and a traveling bag when she first came, in the spirit of being a gentleman, I helped her with her traveling bag which is two times the size and weight of my own, while she carried my bag pack and her handbag. We got comfortable seats at the back where we could easily keep a close look on our luggage kept in the trunk.
"Let's grab something to eat." She said.
I braced myself up as we made for a local food canteen where she ordered a plate of rice and a bottle of yoghurt. While I ordered a bottle of malt, because I am not a fan of eating before traveling, and aside that, I don't eat in public. In short, I don't eat anywhere outside my family.
At exactly 1:30PM, the bus set out of the park and as it sped towards the Kwara state airport, I made a mental note of having not seen a phone with Ella since we hooked up almost two hours ago. As the bus sped past the popular Eiye n korin, towards Ogbomosho, I felt a head resting on my left shoulder. Alas! Ella was asleep.
"Which kind bad market be this?" I asked myself angrily.
With the way she warmed up to me at the park, I was expecting a journey during which we would talk more and get to know each other better. More of the reason why I paid for her meal, paid for her transport, and even got her snacks and juice for the journey.
"Uncle, we don reach Ogbomosho?" A guy seated to my right asked.
"I resemble Google map for your eye?" I replied angrily.

READ MORE BY DOWNLOADING THE BOOK.
INSTALL THE OKADABOOKS APP FROM GOOGLE PLAY STORE AND SEARCH FOR 'THE UNFORGETTABLE BUS RIDE. OR CLICK HERE; http://www.okadabooks.com/book/about/10170# to download the book and install the app.

4 Likes

Re: The Unforgettable Bus Ride: A Short Story by D9ty7(m): 8:13pm On Oct 19, 2015
Omololamide, Ajaxtea, Vickchi94, Rantex1, Okalo, Digriz, Kolynz, Flakeey,
Loabb2, Donphill, bossricky, Rounakid, zimoni, tfabu, alabig, Adewealth027,
Labaski, Afamjb, Pricelesslove, Pishon, Horladorjah, Discoprophet,
temmylove28, Mma22, Omatalkie, Yollychika, Bloomingbud, Shilery,
Hardetayour, febeauty, Martin98, Benjaminbest, Boladex1, Ukeme8,
Haydot95, Chade, Handie, Onosj, IdyRaph, Jorghor, summerflame,
Oyinprince, Moseph, Lordkayy, Donkaz, Donpoker9, Edipee, Fam24,
Bigwig97, Busyinks, scholesjnr, Hebenz, Slimzjoe, Kristen12, Lauda,
Emmotion, Macpetrus, Kingphilip, toykathy, Badabuwa, Lauda, Misslambo, champele, Pharmfonex,
Gideon9947, smarh, Darus05, horlabissy03, whizdame, Paulv, MhizEnkay,
Tenajek, hamzatseyi, skimpledawg, bblacky, Adeh39, Moyosi, GodofGrace,
Crownfullhouse, Daisydeevarh, Mherihgold, Florjay, Pishon, MrNiceGuy5,
codedbaby, Kocvalour, Marcela04, damstary, yemiisaac, seunviju, zanga007, slimzjoe, Ayanfelead,
Princesssusan, crystalsaint, Tobilastik, Amakah16, therealbabe, nyt3237,
Ebbisco, Femyodsky, damsity, mcweber, Temilade20, chichichilolo1,
Larrynrlnd1, samsondavid, PrinceGozie, Profsomebody, buccal, dreal890,
sunak, chimdim, Michaellegend, handmaid, efilefun, Kruzykid, Lauda,
carew998, MissTemmyT, Sardongarigan, Ifyjohnson, Lanjum, creamy1990,
Olaooni88, slimaliyu, Holluwaplexy, kingzblings, Galaxdiva, Melancholy,
wayner10, Timcy, Lyzbet, Accipetex, Ndukings92, Teamplayey,
Emmabest2000, Jollyjoy, Unilever, drsolob2
YOU GUYS SHOULD PLEASE DOWNLOAD THE BOOK. STRICTLY FOR ANDROID AND BLACKBERRY 10 DEVICE USERS
Re: The Unforgettable Bus Ride: A Short Story by Olamitisoji(m): 7:42am On Oct 20, 2015
cryI guess i cant download the remaing part of the book cos i use a windows phone
Re: The Unforgettable Bus Ride: A Short Story by Iyke1998(m): 2:22pm On Oct 20, 2015
D9ty7:
SYNOPSIS/PITCH

CHRIS wanted to play a fast one on ELLA, and even though he succeeded with
the first phase of his plan, he ended up being dealt a huge blow by the time
the bus arrived Ibadan. READ AND LAUGH

Boss. Where can I read the complete story of '"The Thomas Family"?
Re: The Unforgettable Bus Ride: A Short Story by Donpoker9(m): 8:46pm On Oct 29, 2015
D9ty7:

YOU GUYS SHOULD PLEASE DOWNLOAD THE BOOK. STRICTLY FOR ANDROID AND BLACKBERRY 10 DEVICE USERS

Ok sire
Re: The Unforgettable Bus Ride: A Short Story by Tobilastik(m): 4:52pm On Dec 19, 2015
D9ty7:
--*--
READ MORE BY DOWNLOADING THE BOOK.
INSTALL THE OKADABOOKS APP FROM GOOGLE PLAY STORE AND SEARCH FOR 'THE UNFORGETTABLE BUS RIDE. OR CLICK HERE; http://www.okadabooks.com/book/about/10170# to download the book and install the app.

Bro... what about "The second coming" are u through with it.... can't find more episodes on your blog
Re: The Unforgettable Bus Ride: A Short Story by stuff46(m): 3:19am On Dec 24, 2015
Iyke1998:

Boss. Where can I read the complete story of '"The Thomas Family"?
Seconded
Re: The Unforgettable Bus Ride: A Short Story by Donkaz(m): 8:00am On Dec 24, 2015
Okada drop me here

(1) (Reply)

Novels I Wouldn't Mind Reading Over And Over Again. / Fallen Angel / Anyone Instrested In Freelance Writting In The Following Areas For A New Magazin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.