Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,820 members, 7,817,395 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:28 AM

My Wake Up Call To Weight Loss - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / My Wake Up Call To Weight Loss (1194 Views)

"Take 2 In The Morning Before You Wake Up": Check Out This Drug Prescription / Solutions To Weight Loss,infertility,arthritis,stroke & Some Health Challenges! / Must Read- 8 Bad Habits That Lead To Weight Gain (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Wake Up Call To Weight Loss by Orobo2Lekpa: 4:19pm On Oct 22, 2015
It was the day I always dreaded but knew would come. All the years of big stouting, nkwobing, cream caking, shortbread biscuiting and assorted meat in double portions has finally come home to roost. It was New Year’s Day and I was searching desperately for what my goal or resolution for the year would be and then it happened. From the back alleys of a junk cupboard, I discovered a scale. One of those old fashioned white analogue scales with the red marker. I just said let me even try myself and jumped on top. As I put my first leg I could swear I heard the scale say “ejoo” In Yoruba. With confidence I put my second leg, chest out and shoulders relaxed, I looked down, ah “mo ti ja scale !” for those who don’t understand Yoruba, I finished the scale, I saw the end of it. The worst part is that like a very bad Nollywood movie, the scale told me there is still part 2 to be continued.

That is my wake up call. My doctor has also told me that if I don’t want to learn new things in this life, my BMI has to reduce drastically. As a start, I have now bought a new modern digital scale with extra capacity. Now I know the full size of the problem, believe me, it’s more of a mountain than a molehill. I have also downloaded the myfitnesspal app for iPad. This is really helpful as I can track all the calories I eat in a day to achieve my goal. It tells me my Net calories (food intake less exercise) for a day should be 1680. That is tough considering that one generous plate of Pounded yam, Egusi soup and assorted meat with 2 bottles of big stout will easily top that. Lest I forget there should also be at least 200 minutes of exercise a week as well. No problems with determination, Okada will overtake trailer.

I have decided to set myself small targets and by God’s special grace I haven’t fallen off the wagon yet. Came very close last Friday at a friends party. All my guys were there each with their own Star beer, Small Stouts and Brandy and there I was nursing a 400 ml bottle of water like say na Moët Rose I dey drink. Funny enough all that didn’t tempt me that much but when I saw puff-puff I had to say devil get behind me. Like devil said to Jesus, that puff-puff promised me the whole earth if I would take a bite or two. As in Igbo man, I have already calculated that I will make more profit on calories by eating meat and rice than that puff-puff.

Weight loss for a black or African man is not easy but as I say, No Pain, No Loss.

Follow me as I embark on this journey and view my progress on https://orobo2lekpa./
Re: My Wake Up Call To Weight Loss by babythug(f): 4:49pm On Oct 22, 2015
Good luck! Remember that a journey of a thousand miles starts with a step. Don't have overly high expectations regarding results. key thing is to tell yourself slow and steady wins the race. The pounds were added slowly it'll drop off slowly.
Pace yourself. Find a support group and remember to take pictures every month.

Good luck once again wink
Re: My Wake Up Call To Weight Loss by PRISTINEMUSCLES: 8:02pm On Oct 22, 2015
Nice one bro. Please do this weight-loss thing naturally and do not take those so called weight-loss pills. Make exercising and proper dieting, a life-style.
Re: My Wake Up Call To Weight Loss by Orobo2Lekpa: 9:58am On Oct 23, 2015
Thanks Pristine and Babythug for the support and advice. Actually I wrote post on my Facebook wall about two and a half years ago. I promised myself that when I reached my first milestone I will expand on the post and make it more public.

After many ups and downs along the way, I have achieved my first milestone again! I have lost 20kg mainly on the 5-2 diet and a lot of hard work. My new motivation is to document what worked for me and also to use it to spur me on to reach my ultimate goal of losing another 20kg

At my heaviest I was 120kg with a BMI (Body Mass Index) of 37.1 which made me Mid-range Obese class 2 (Severely Obese). Today I am proud to weigh in at 99.2kg which puts me at a BMI of 31 and Low-point Obese class 2 (Slightly Obese). My ultimate goal is 80kg which brings me at a normal healthy weight.

The major achievements are that blood pressure is down, cholesterol is down, clothes fit better and I am much fitter and healthier. Those are the real wins for me.

You can see how I did it and my journey to the next milestone by following my blog on my signature
Re: My Wake Up Call To Weight Loss by Nobody: 1:21pm On Oct 27, 2015
Post a before and after picture so we'd keep motivating and providing recommendations for you. For now all these words make imagining the situation hard. A picture says a thousands words, post one.

Also, a video which'd hopefully motivate you: http://bit(.)ly/1i6Pu6M

PS. I never knew it was easy to gain so much weight in Nigeria. I always thought only white people could because their foods're highly sugar-laced.

PS. Too many restrictions on this forum. So even posting shortened links is not allowed? Changing my mind on frequently visiting here anymore.
Re: My Wake Up Call To Weight Loss by simi4me(m): 5:01pm On Oct 27, 2015
Wishing you goodluck on your weight loss journey.
Re: My Wake Up Call To Weight Loss by Orobo2Lekpa: 5:47pm On Oct 27, 2015
charix:
Post a before and after picture so we'd keep motivating and providing recommendations for you. For now all these words make imagining the situation hard. A picture says a thousands words, post one.

Also, a video which'd hopefully motivate you: http:///1i6Pu6M

PS. I never knew it was easy to gain so much weight in Nigeria. I always thought only white people could because their foods're highly sugar-laced.

Thanks. I will take your advice on the pictures, will need to find some full length before pictures to show the weight loss well especially the belly and waist areas

On the gaining weight in Nigeria, Our foods are very high in cabohydrate coupled with the fact that a lot of us lead sedentary lives so weight gain is inevitable. For middle aged men like me, this is increased with stout and isi ewu things
Re: My Wake Up Call To Weight Loss by Orobo2Lekpa: 5:43pm On Feb 08, 2016
it never rains but shines
Re: My Wake Up Call To Weight Loss by Nobody: 11:09am On Sep 26, 2016
...and the same way he came he disappeared. No activity since June 28th. Adieu Orobo2Lekpa, you tried, we know you did.
Re: My Wake Up Call To Weight Loss by Orobo2Lekpa: 4:16pm On Aug 02, 2017
...and the same way he came he disappeared. No activity since June 28th. Adieu Orobo2Lekpa, you tried, we know you did.

Activities are many, keep checking the blog for updates

(1) (Reply)

Picture Of Demon Watching Over Unborn Baby In An Ultrasound Scan / Athletes Foot Fungus, What You Need To Know! / Things That Make Women’s Bre*sts Sag Quickly

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.