Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,862 members, 7,810,290 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:48 AM

Why Is Mentorship Hard To Get In Nigeria? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why Is Mentorship Hard To Get In Nigeria? (528 Views)

IMPORTATION Business Training & Mentorship / Mentorship Training: 12 Months Strategy To Making $1000 Monthly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is Mentorship Hard To Get In Nigeria? by ruffhandu: 1:27pm On Oct 23, 2015
Mentorship seems to be hard to get in Nigeria. Perhaps because the prospective mentors think the mentees will push them out of the business, or for some other reasons. For some, they feel the mentee will know their secrets and become competition.

But for sure, this is not helping the Nigerian economy because no matter how much ground you think you're holding, there'll still be much left uncovered; either due to your limited resources in funds, or space. So, people should be proud to point at other people and say: "I mentored that guy, and now he's doing great".

I learnt one thing once in a ICCC business meeting in PH. A lady delivering a talk on fish farming said one striking thing, and I believed her. She said "some people when teaching others hide information. They feel they should hide some information in order to still be ahead. I don't think so. A christian shouldn't do so. I give everything. When I give everything, I feel empty and I go searching and researching to learn more and become better."

Even if your mentee becomes competition, competition makes us work smarter than we would ordinarily. Sometimes too, we even learn from the people we teach. When they see we have given all and have been blessed by the information, they desire to give back with any information they have out of gratitude. Or to bless us back in some ways. That mentee may have an information he doesn't need but will make you a millionaire.

Many are quick to demand for money, and yet not deliver. They take the mentee to a lonely path and abandon him. Quite sad.
Just my observation.
Re: Why Is Mentorship Hard To Get In Nigeria? by psucc(m): 1:34pm On Oct 23, 2015
Sad that this is so but the mentors are the greatest losers. 1. Loss of reputation as a mentor 2. Loss of continuity
Re: Why Is Mentorship Hard To Get In Nigeria? by pattybf(f): 3:30pm On Oct 23, 2015
Very true, especially with our importation gurus! May God help us.
Re: Why Is Mentorship Hard To Get In Nigeria? by AirstarKane(f): 6:04pm On Oct 23, 2015
So true and maybe because of I want to be rich alone and oppress others syndrome. Many young minds with great business ideas but no one to even put you through not to even talk of sharing it with. I pray God help us. You can't even walk in to some organizations just to speak with someone to put you through.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Mentorship Hard To Get In Nigeria? by Lionize: 8:25am On Nov 28, 2015
Nigerians be like "so you want me to leak my secrets to you?". grin

(1) (Reply)

Erasmus Mundus Scholarships For Master Programme In Astronomy And Astrophysics, / The Global Intergold Clients Can't Wait For Grand Summer Voyage 2016! / This Investment Company Pays Up To 40% In 2 Weeks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.