Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,935 members, 7,817,727 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:03 PM

Tips On How To Move Back To Nigeria (tip 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 % 10) - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Tips On How To Move Back To Nigeria (tip 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 % 10) (533 Views)

Tips On How I Can Decorate My Bathroom? / Survey Shows Children Of 8-9 In West Africa Think Boys Are Smarter Than Girls / Photos: Quick Tips On What People Call "Gender Equality" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Tips On How To Move Back To Nigeria (tip 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 % 10) by ijescorner: 10:33pm On Oct 25, 2015
Chapter 41: Tips to Move Back to Nigeria

If you’re thinking of leaving Nigeria, then you probably did not prepare or plan well. You must have missed the memo on tips on how to move back to Nigeria. If you didn’t get it, now you will know, so share this and pass it on to others you know are thinking of making the ‘big move’.
The New Year comes with new dreams and hopes of new beginnings. In the coming up year, you want to make the move back to Nigeria. But you are a tad sceptical on how you’ll fare. I mean you’ve seen or heard of scores of returnees going back to Europe or Americas.

If you really have the desire to move back to Nigeria, especially Lagos, and would like a comprehensive guide on how to Move Back To Nigeria, then here are my winning tips.

10 Tips to Move Easily to Nigeria:

Keep up daily to see the whole list...

1: Passport

The first thing you should do is get a Nigerian passport, that is if you are Nigerian of course. It’s a must and is very handy when travelling inter-state to avoid constantly carrying your ‘other’ passport around. Once you have this, you are free to go travelling between states as many times as you want without a visa.

However, note that it is best to travel into Nigeria for the first time with your ‘other’ passport. So if you also hold a British or American passport, travel from those countries using their passports. That way the High Commission in that respective country have you in their system as being in Nigeria. In case of national unrest, or disease outbreak, these countries will come to your aid.

2: Ticket

When it comes to buying a ticket, it may seem like a good idea to fly through a relatively unknown airline due to lower costs. And you may even save a few hundred quid using ‘Air Valletta’. But when it comes to being flexible, this is where the problem crops up. Firstly, most likely you cannot open your ticket for travel. And even if it allows, it’s as good as buying a new ticket.
I would suggest going with British Airways or Virgin Atlantic. These airlines Customer Service policies protect you from flight changes, delays, and cancellations, may even entitle you to hotel accommodation, and at times even a goodwill ‘free’ ticket. I snagged one of these on one occasion, when my Virgin Atlantic flight from Lagos to London was delayed. Thanks VA!

3: Packing

It may seem like a good idea to take your entire wardrobe and toiletries, but believe me it’s not worth it. If you think you can pack enough Colgate or Always, then you’re sadly mistaken. (Okay maybe I was!). But I mean, you are after all moving here, so therefore you need to start using local products and learning how to shop in Nigeria.

7 Random Things Not to Bother Packing:
Item 1: Mosquito repellent
Item 2: Anti-malaria tablets
Item 3: Baking ingredients or utensils (believe me it may seem random, but my sister is a classic example)
Item 4: Kellogg’s Cornflake, Special K or any other type of cereal
Item 5: Tetley’s Tea
Item 6: Sugar
Item 7: Bottled water
The tip is to pack your essential holiday items, the rest you can start shopping for in Nigeria. But as for clothing, think vest, t-shirts, leggings, and enough bras and knickers to start your own Victoria Secrets store.

4: Money

When you think you have enough money, go back re-assess and recheck. You can never have enough money to live in Nigeria. Especially Lagos. Everything will cost you twice as much, because a chunk of your money will go into tipping, bribing and general cash hand-outs!

You definitely need enough money to rent a suitable place for two years, and enough money to buy a car, whilst having enough cash to live off for a year. So calculate house, car and cash for a year’s expenses.

Let’s calculate that the daily average cash one would need to live on for a day would be N20,000. We’re assuming you’d need fuel for car, keeping your home paid for, as well as lunch, dinner and drinks.

So we’ve stated that N20,000 is the daily rate, therefore to live in Nigeria for a year you would need the following:

N20,000 x 365 days (1 year) = N7,300,000. This is roughly £24,000 or (at N300, give or take the fall or rise of the naira) approximately $36,600.

So to move to Nigeria, you would need N7,300,000. From this, you can buy a car for N1.5 million, afford two years’ worth of rent (including legal and agency fees) for N3 million.

So that leaves you with N2,800,000, which works out to N233,333 per month. Happily this is above the average wage in Nigeria.

Make sure you have this money before moving down, as things can get very uncomfortable otherwise.

Remember money for living and business is separate. Do try as much as possible to take with you N7300,000 plus the total amount needed to establish any business.

Happy saving!

5: Housing

No matter what you do, rent your own place for your duration in Nigeria. Do not depend on staying with non-immediate family (NIF). If you are not staying with your parents or unmarried siblings, then I strongly suggest you stay alone. Aunties and uncles may mean well, but in the end it can all turn rotten. So save yourself and your family the aggravation of a family feud resulting from one party or both parties’ built-up anger.

Staying with NIFs during Christmas holidays, or summer holidays is not, I repeat not, the same as living with them.

Gone is them taking you out, pampering you and being happy you are around. It will turn into something very different. So staying with NIFs has to be the last option of all.

Remember, you can rent a very comfortable place for approximately N1,500,000 per year. This can be furnished with N1,000,000.
We had N2,8000 left earlier, so after furnishing, we now we have N1,800,000 remainder to live in Nigeria. That now reduces your monthly spend to N150,000. Still not bad, until you get your job or business going.

6: Car

The best car to buy is a jeep to weather you around the dirty, bumpy and untarred roads, especially during the rainy season, which is between June to October. And the only reason to have a low car is if you have other cars, and own this one for weekends only, meant only to grace ‘good’ roads. Remember, we budgeted N1,500,000 for a car, which may not get you a jeep, but any car is better than taking the bus every day, as many would say.

7: Language

Yoruba is the language of Lagos. You enter a cab, and the cab driver is insulting another road user in the language and glancing back at you to agree. But ‘excuse me Mr Cab Driver Sir, I do not speak Yoruba’ will be met with a lip-curling scowl. Why on earth should you live in Lagos and not understand Yoruba, he’d think!
But if your Yoruba skill is non-existent, at least your Broken English has to be grade A. This is a must for arguing your rights in Lagos. Whilst at the market, in a cab, or on the streets, insulting in normal English will not suffice. Insults seem to cut deeper in Broken English. So go ahead and practice, jor!

8: Job

Why did you come to Nigeria? Do you have a firm job offer? Or are you on the verge of securing one? Are you planning to start a business? Think about this before you head to Nigeria. If you have been offered a job, it is best to get a firm and signed employment letter and make sure that the salary is secured. I have heard plenty of tales of those that have been verbally given one figure and upon their return, the offer is much, much less. Even if you do have a firm job offer, make sure you have enough money for a year just in case of incasity. In this case, I’m suggesting N7,300,000.

9: Friends

Even if it’s just one friend, you need that one person to sound off to, and also the person to tour Lagos with. Trust me when I say it’s very lonely if you don’t have any friends. Start a community, join a gym, and attend the local church. Take up all avenues to make a friend.
But better still, it’s best to start networking before you get to Lagos. Even still, plan to migrate with a group of people if possible.

10: Medical

Ensure your yellow fever, measles, HEP A, HEP C and malaria injections are up to date. Trust me; you do not want to be ill in Lagos. It will cost you an arm and a leg, and remember that you are on a budget from your N1,800,000 left over after furnishing the apartment.

For more tips check follow @Ijescorner on twitter

xoxo

Thanks for staying tuned for tips on moving to Nigeria xoxo

(1) (Reply)

The New Trend Of Posting Pictures Of Charity Donations On Social Media / Meet The Muslim Student Who Raised $30,000 To Help Fix Black Churches Destroyed / Animated Merry Christmas Hd Images Free Download

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.