Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,003 members, 7,817,968 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:26 AM

The First Official Review Of Wande Coal's WANTED Album Is In - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / The First Official Review Of Wande Coal's WANTED Album Is In (1728 Views)

Tonto Dikeh Angry As Efe’s Album Is Crushed By Man / See Meghan Markle And Prince Harry’s First Official Couple Portraits [photos] / Throwback Photo Of Wande Coal Can Make You Think About Your Future (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The First Official Review Of Wande Coal's WANTED Album Is In by officialnaija: 3:27am On Oct 26, 2015
After about 6-7 since a proper and solid LP, Nigerian R&B King, Wande Coal is finally back with a new disc titled "Wanted".

The album dropped today and as you would expect, I quick quick went to iTunes and got the album. I was asked to review the record so I tried my possible best and I have come up with this track-by-track review of the new album.

I hope you enjoy it. After the jump:

INTRO (ft. Seyi Law)

The album kicks off with a hilarious opening by Seyi Law which plays on Wande Coal's renowned "black as the devil" joke. It's a really nice way to kick off the album and it basically summarizes whimsically all of Wande's label changing and absence from the industry up until now. A solid opening.

ADURA

Right off the bat, Wande starts off with Adura which just immediately reminds us why we love Wande Coal in the first place - his voice. I would describe the song as afro-pop with that R&B/Soul spice that Wande just possesses in his voice. The production is so dope and the lyrics are reflective and appreciative to God about everything in Wande's life...it's just a solid way to start off the record.

SUPERWOMAN

Come, I don tell una say Wande Coal fit SIIINNNGGGG? The soul and sweetness this guy possesses in his vocal chords is just amazing. This is a love-song that I would say is quite similar or would remind you of "Ololufe" from Mushin 2 Mohits. The song is an instant song mehn, another sure tune on the record.

WE BALL

Nna mehn, this Wande Coal can just be reading the back of Gala wrapper and I would still buy his music...his voice just has that life to it eeehhhh. This is more of a pumping track but I wouldn't say it's like a trap/urban song, I would describe it as "feel-good" cruising kinda music. The song beautifully combines pop, urban, and feel-good music in a beautiful way. Another thumbs up.

SAME SHIT (ft. AKA)

This is what I can now describe as more of trap/urban music on the album. AKA's flow in this song is a definite highlight, and Wande owns his own too as usual on the chorus and his own verse. It's not one of my favorite songs on the record but it's a cool song.

MONSTER

This song sounds like something a "CAPital Hill Music" artiste would record and if that is your kind of sound is a whole nother issue. The song isn't bad, it shows off Wande's more "gangsta", and urban side but again, it's for those days when you just want to feel fly as hell.

SKIT (ft. Falz)

Falz Falz Falz...you can't just help but love this guy mehnnn. This his razz way of speaking is just something that gets me everytime. A splendid addition to the record, and perfectly placed.

WANTED

This is the "title track" and there's a certain pressure that comes with that title naturally. It definitely flows in well from Falz' skit, most definitely, but is it one of my personal favorite songs on the album, nah. It seems like a grower sha, so we have to just wait and see how this one plays out.

AFRICAN LADY

Traditional palm wine love song...the kind music wey I dey like, lol. This is another romantic song but the very very traditional type that just reminds you of whatever comes to your mind when you think of the word "Africa". The song is very o set mehn, and I think this is one that is going to resonate well especially with my Igbo brothers and sisters. Solid tune.

ASHIMAPEYIN

This is a song you will either really hate or really like, I don't think there's an in-between in this one. The song is definitely for a certain kind of mood so depending on when you listen to it, this may present itself as gold or complete nonsense. I can't even decide if I like it or not.

WEEKEND (Ft. Maleek Berry)

The flow he uses would remind you one way or another of Jeremih's "Don't Tell Em'" at some points so if you been dey think am, no worry, no be only you. The song itself is feel-good music as well, and I must say I like it. The groove is dope and the blend with the beat and vocal placements is also really well done. Good music.

PLENTY LOVE

Papangolo music again, and as you know that is never a bad thing with me. Wande's vocals really shine on this track as he sings about having plenty love for this gyal wey don steal his heart. The chorus especially the backing vocals that accompany it is really well done, and really ties the whole song together.

SKIT (feat. IamJimmie)

Another strategically placed skit that keeps the album moving seamlessly. I like how all of these skits just really tie the album together, that is a well thought-out thing to do.

MAKE YOU MINE (ft. 2Face Idibia)

Wande's voice and the melody on the chorus of this song + 2 Face's addition on the track make this song a definite highlight on this album. The production is sick, the vocals blend, this song is a prime example of finished work.

LOWKEY

This song is Wande's try on "dancehall" music as the beat he uses would most definitely remind you of something off a Timaya or Patoranking album, however, Wande separates himself by actually singing and delivering a very "Wande Coal" type melody over the "dancehall" beat. The song is not a highlight for me, but the song is definitely a good song.

IYAWO MI

If you want your wedding song, here it is oh! The song is nice but is nothing really special compared to the rest of the album, especially on first listen.

JELLY

THAT's RIGHTTTTTT! This is THAT song that I can bet money would be swallowed by all the DJs and clubs in Nigeria. The song is THAT kind of song....that song that just makes you want to do some serious shoki. Definite highlight on the album, and definite HIT in terms of radio-friendliness.

BABY HELLO

This song just comes perfectly in the record as it doesn't allow you to recover from the previous track, "Jelly". The familiarity of the music makes singing along very easy and by now if you don't know or love "Baby Hello", nna, I don't know what to tell you.

WANTED [REMIX] (ft. Burna Boy)

For some reason, this song sounds better than the original in terms of clarity of the sound and production. As expected Burna holds his own on the song as well and brings that spice that only Burna can bring to a track. Definitely makes you want to go and replay the original Wanted song.

KPONO (ft. Wizkid)

If this song becomes a single and eventually blows up in Nigeria, I don't even think I would survive people calling their p "kpononono" because that would just be the most annoying thing in this world, lol. The song itself is a funny song that makes your body move for sure and the "kpononono" as annoying as it sounds actually really makes the song.

OUTRO (ft. King Spesh)

It's funny how in the Outro, the King Spesh guy literally praises and highlights all of the songs I highlighted in this review. When you hear the album you would see what I'm talking about.
This song for sure closes the album very well, and just sort of reminds you of the songs you have listened to thus far and puts a final seal on the record. It also serves as the final skit which I really like as the album starts with a skit, and ends with a skit...it shows consistency.

Final Comments: Wande is BACK boys and girls, and with this album he has shown us once again why he has had such a long and successful career. The music is really top-notch, the production is sick, and as expected Wande really delivers in terms of vocals.

Another thing I like about the record is how he divides the album into different sections having the different genres of music on the album go together, and not just mixing everything into one gigantic mess.

Some songs are filler tracks and some are highlights...that is how most albums are, and ultimately I am happy that Wande did a good job of having more highlights than fillers.

Jide's Score: 8/10 (Very Very Positive and Solid Score for a FANTASTIC Record)

Source: http://www.jideokonjo.com/2015/10/wande-coals-wanted-track-by-track-review.html#more

Re: The First Official Review Of Wande Coal's WANTED Album Is In by nairalandmaster(f): 3:30am On Oct 26, 2015
such post usually makes me speechless. no matter how fast i think my brain boot, such post gets it nagging.
Re: The First Official Review Of Wande Coal's WANTED Album Is In by Demmocrats(m): 3:33am On Oct 26, 2015
My man
Re: The First Official Review Of Wande Coal's WANTED Album Is In by gbosky22(m): 9:50am On Oct 26, 2015
Plenty love is going to be a hit just like woju,jelly isn't all that cos it would remind you of dj xclusiv ft davido,runtown and mo'eazy,for now plenty love is that naija jam,we ball is trap and the weekend ft maleek berry is a feel good music.superwoman is a true RnB song....chai wande coal will be the reason wizkid,davido and co go fear to drop album,this album is the ember month and next year's best

(1) (Reply)

Beautiful Amina From Unijos Shares Her Very Sexy N Ak Ed Bathr00m Photos / Davido Drops Artiste From Label, Set To Sign New Musician / Khloe K And Her Taut Nipples Take New York (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.