Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,861 members, 7,956,251 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 08:38 AM

Alabi Returns - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Alabi Returns (548 Views)

I Need Small Business Big Money By Akin Alabi / Soyinka Backtracks On U.S Visit, Returns To Deliver Lectures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Alabi Returns by Hidentity(m): 8:07pm On Oct 26, 2015
The cuckoo birds chant solemnly as the tender breeze massage the ego of the baby trees. The sky takes the position it is reputed for from time immemorial, but there was a departure from its typical outlook- today it takes a break from its usual white and blue attires, it seems to know what the two love birds under the bamboo tree do not know- the fate that the other side will birth with time. On the rock under the bamboo tree kneels Alabi saying words of consolation to the sitting and sobbing Asake. Today is different, their hide and seek has never witnessed the railway, but it is a different day- Alabi is set for the city to buy them the life they deserve, maybe not the one they need, but they want it.

Alabi is the son of Ladele, the industrious blacksmith who would do anything to see that Alabi's name doesn't make the list of disappointment sojourners in this world of shift. It is because of him that Alabi is at the train station today. Asake is not an exception to the efforts that sees Alabi furthering his studies in the city of Lagos. Her life savings has been diverted to this cause. Trust is not an issue, Alabi's strength of character is impressive among his peers in the village. Academically, he is some sort of village genius. The train fare is the savings from his intellectual labour of writing letters for the elders and his illiterate peers in the village. Alabi and Asake's love story should be close to 5 years, though a stark illiterate, Asake is ready to give in on every fragment of dream she has to see Alabi in the 'coat' Rev. Richard, the white man wore to the village last year.

The honking of the train echoes through the assembly of trees as the birds scamper off in contagious dismay. That moment for Asake equals an attempt by God to take away from her everything she has. Alabi is that integral to Asake's very existence- a friend, a lover, a teacher, a brother and a whole lot that the pen may get sick of listing out. The train appears on the railway from the bent that went towards the stream. Alabi stands on his feet and lifts Asake who burst out crying uncontrollably. She holds unto Alabi's heavily patched attire as he struggles to hide the visitation of tears on his face by facing the now stopping train. 'Alabi, we can be happy here; you can keep helping baba in the blacksmith business. You will teach me the white's man language and we can both speak it and laugh. I promise you, my brain will pick the addition of large figures it has not picked all this while and you won't be bored of being the only literate here', Asake begs in a shaky voice corroborated by teary eyes... The choice is no longer Alabi's- the scholar from the city appears from the lonely road and interjects 'Alabi, a great conflagration of my fury can engulf the territorial edifice of your cupid induced affair if thou refuses an immediate solemn step into this locomotive structure with me.' Alabi, holds Asake's wrist as he gently pulls it off his attire. A loud honk emerges from the train as Alabi walks towards the stern looking city scholar who is to take him to the city... The train gradually disappears from the scene as Asake runs by its side with the likely impossibility of stopping his lover from the city pursuit. He stands by the window crying like a baby as the movement of the train makes him lose her sight...

She is grinding pepper for lunch when Dansaki, Alabi's childhood friend who has religiously played his role as an assistant boyfriend appears to her beaming with smile. 'Asake, you will pardon my memory,' he said as he brought out a folded paper from his pocket. He continued, 'Here is a letter Alabi sent through Emeka, the Igbo boy who went to Lagos last year, I forgot.' She jumps up, cleans her hands with her wrapper and hastily, she opens the paper. She does not have an idea of what the letters are, let alone the word, but she beams with smile as she watches Dansaki walks away. Dansaki has been a shoulder for her- he has played his role as Alabi's friend for 3 years since Alabi's departure.

Majority of the villagers stood at the railway station expecting the arrival of the train. Though Alabi was meant to study for 6 years in the city, but they got a note from the college in the city that their boy will arrive that day. The message might not have been well passed by the man who interpreted the content of the letter to the eager villagers last night. He was able to make them realize that the letter talked about Alabi's arrival, but the purpose was expressed in a grammar beyond his dexterity in interpretation.

After hours of waiting at the train station, the train turns up from a distance and the entire villagers beam with smiles of hope. Asake was restless- with her hand, she wipes the sweat on her face off and faces Dansaki, 'will Alabi still remember my face?' Dansaki smiles and holds her by the hand as they approach the train. They saw no one near Alabi in appearance. The two of them and other villagers approach a man who is apparently a staffer in the train. After their complaint was laid, there was a substituted look on his face as he took a puff from his pipe, 'Here is him, he will be the last to be helped down'. The villagers peep at the compartment beside the man, there is Alabi's comatose body shrouded in white as he is laid in the coffin with his eyes shut to the mundane things of this world. He has come home after graduating from the institution of life.

Is it really greener on the other side?
Re: Alabi Returns by melekan(m): 8:21pm On Oct 26, 2015
*opens mouth in shock*

(1) (Reply)

This Is Life / Everything That Makes Us Human Is Vain / American Town.... By XTGOZIE

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.