Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,142 members, 7,821,894 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:05 PM

300 Houses Submerged, As River Benue Overflows Its Banks - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / 300 Houses Submerged, As River Benue Overflows Its Banks (24018 Views)

Shops Submerged In Water As Flood Hits Ariaria Market In Aba (photos) / Uniben Student Who Drowned In River Benue Buried Amidst Tears (photos) / Kaduna River Popularly Known As River Kaduna Is Overflowing Its Banks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

300 Houses Submerged, As River Benue Overflows Its Banks by Ebubeslym(m): 6:15am On Oct 27, 2015
MAKURDI—A sudden surge in the water level of River Benue has left over 300 houses and huts submerged, with many families rendered homeless in Makurdi, the state capital.
The unexpected flood, which also swept away property and valuables worth millions of Naira, may have created a major humanitarian crisis in the town and it’s environs.

Among the worst hit areas are Wurukum, Wadata Rice Mill, Agboughoul, Kutcha Utebe and Gydo Villa area settlements, while all the buildings that are less than 500 meters from the shore of the river and those directly behind the New Garage Road are also facing the prospect of going under the fast rising river.

One of the victims and resident of Wadata Rice Mill settlement, John Agboyi, said residents of the area were taken aback by the unanticipated flood.

“Its strange, we went to bed last night, only to wake up this morning to discover that flood water has overtaken our homes and neighbourhood, all we did was to battle to rescue some of our property from the fast rising flood water,” he said.

At Kutcha Utebe where families were seen moving their property from their homes, a resident, Terhile Fidelis, said the flood washed away most of his property before he could mobilize enough support and help to move them away.

He said: “My worry is that I do not have anywhere to go to with my family at the moment. I just can’t understand why this sudden rise in water levels cannot be adequately tackled by the government.”
Efforts to reach the Commissioner for Water Resources and Environment, Mr. Nick Wende, on the issue failed as he did not pick his calls nor reply to the message sent to his phone.

www.vanguardngr.com/2015/10/300-houses-submerged-as-river-benue-overflows-its-banks/
Re: 300 Houses Submerged, As River Benue Overflows Its Banks by Acidosis(m): 7:50am On Oct 27, 2015
Buhari has finished this country.

No single plan for the masses, just word of mouth and disgusting promises!

32 Likes

Re: 300 Houses Submerged, As River Benue Overflows Its Banks by godoluwa(m): 7:51am On Oct 27, 2015
comment later...

1 Like

Re: 300 Houses Submerged, As River Benue Overflows Its Banks by omusiliyu(m): 7:51am On Oct 27, 2015
I joined the wailers to blame Buhari for this. grin

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: 300 Houses Submerged, As River Benue Overflows Its Banks by luvinhubby(m): 7:51am On Oct 27, 2015
Hopelessness is always the state of any people abandoned by their government and leaders.

God help the victims.

cry cry

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: 300 Houses Submerged, As River Benue Overflows Its Banks by eph12(m): 7:51am On Oct 27, 2015
This Buhari sef

9 Likes

Re: 300 Houses Submerged, As River Benue Overflows Its Banks by festyese: 7:51am On Oct 27, 2015
Ftc
Re: 300 Houses Submerged, As River Benue Overflows Its Banks by mystical109(m): 7:51am On Oct 27, 2015
Stc
Re: 300 Houses Submerged, As River Benue Overflows Its Banks by orekelewa09(f): 7:51am On Oct 27, 2015
j
Re: 300 Houses Submerged, As River Benue Overflows Its Banks by 09temple(m): 7:52am On Oct 27, 2015
Ftc for d first time
Re: 300 Houses Submerged, As River Benue Overflows Its Banks by XBLadez: 7:52am On Oct 27, 2015
The north is receiving their curse. RIP to the dead though

2 Likes

Re: 300 Houses Submerged, As River Benue Overflows Its Banks by GreatEngineer(m): 7:52am On Oct 27, 2015
Disasters here and there.
God please come to our rescue.
Re: 300 Houses Submerged, As River Benue Overflows Its Banks by SonOfTheLion(m): 7:52am On Oct 27, 2015
Ok
Re: 300 Houses Submerged, As River Benue Overflows Its Banks by Nobody: 7:52am On Oct 27, 2015
God look down upon your children and save us

Also situations like this government should endovour that rescue teams and try as much as possible to control flood across the country not only in markudi
Re: 300 Houses Submerged, As River Benue Overflows Its Banks by jhuzcoyle(m): 7:52am On Oct 27, 2015
jKl
Re: 300 Houses Submerged, As River Benue Overflows Its Banks by ojsamuel(m): 7:52am On Oct 27, 2015
IDPs on the increase... God have mercy!
Re: 300 Houses Submerged, As River Benue Overflows Its Banks by globalresource: 7:53am On Oct 27, 2015
undecidedsee
Re: 300 Houses Submerged, As River Benue Overflows Its Banks by whizpa(m): 7:53am On Oct 27, 2015
After all the warnings.... Nothing was done..

Only in Nigeria!!!!!!

4 Likes

Re: 300 Houses Submerged, As River Benue Overflows Its Banks by globalresource: 7:54am On Oct 27, 2015
eph12:
This Buhari sef

Buhari ke??

2 Likes

Re: 300 Houses Submerged, As River Benue Overflows Its Banks by Nobody: 7:54am On Oct 27, 2015
Not good

Need something on Jumia?
Contact me now through my Signature!
Re: 300 Houses Submerged, As River Benue Overflows Its Banks by ojmetrix(m): 7:54am On Oct 27, 2015
am in makurdi and I did not hear such.hu d fool hu

3 Likes

Re: 300 Houses Submerged, As River Benue Overflows Its Banks by Spaxon(f): 7:54am On Oct 27, 2015
chai...

but this people no de hear word...

no de build house or hut near water....
Re: 300 Houses Submerged, As River Benue Overflows Its Banks by DrKlever(m): 7:54am On Oct 27, 2015
Buhari ooooo. I'm tired of this daura man!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 300 Houses Submerged, As River Benue Overflows Its Banks by Nobody: 7:55am On Oct 27, 2015
Poor planning.....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 300 Houses Submerged, As River Benue Overflows Its Banks by free2ryhme: 7:55am On Oct 27, 2015
Unfortunately this type of story attracts fewer comments as it does not allow tribal and bigoted internet war lords to rave at each other. My sympathy goes to the affected residents. However, I remember reading some months ago that Cameroon would release excess water on their dam which will see more water in river Benue. Is it that the residents on the banks were not properly sensitized by the government or they were adamant?

7 Likes

Re: 300 Houses Submerged, As River Benue Overflows Its Banks by xtervaganza(m): 7:55am On Oct 27, 2015
Acidosis:
Buhari has finished this country.

No single plan for the masses, just word of mouth and disgusting promises!
and wait are you waiting? Commit suicide or follow Jonathan go Tanzania

7 Likes

Re: 300 Houses Submerged, As River Benue Overflows Its Banks by funmilade4real(m): 7:55am On Oct 27, 2015
Mumu po gan sha
Re: 300 Houses Submerged, As River Benue Overflows Its Banks by davit: 7:55am On Oct 27, 2015
For those wailing Buhari, so how is he culpable in this now? Is it Buhari that will control water in the state? Kids are just too many in this forum these days! SMH

6 Likes

Re: 300 Houses Submerged, As River Benue Overflows Its Banks by RobinHez(m): 7:55am On Oct 27, 2015
How can a country say it was "taken aback by a flood"

There are scientific ways and methods of forecasting natural disasters b4 they happen!

Where is the research department in Nigeria? undecided

2 Likes

Re: 300 Houses Submerged, As River Benue Overflows Its Banks by ojmetrix(m): 7:56am On Oct 27, 2015
XBLadez:
The north is receiving their curse. RIP to the dead though
makurdi Na north olodo

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Speeding Driver Crashes His Vehicle In Delta (Photos) / Which Addiction Would You Love To Leave In 2020? / Electricity Distribution Company Staff Invade Lagos Community

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.