Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,182 members, 7,821,996 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:18 AM

Beer Vs Wine: Which Is Better? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Beer Vs Wine: Which Is Better? (33771 Views)

Mad Man Drinking Beer In Imo State (Photos) / Top 5 Health Benefits Of Palm Wine You Must Know / Reasons Why You Should Avoid Palm-wine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Beer Vs Wine: Which Is Better? by genuinechimere(m): 11:43am On Oct 27, 2015
From health benefits to hangovers, there are some important differences between hop and grape that only science can explain.

Few drinks (save tea or coffee) divide the world so spectacularly as beer or wine. There’s no accounting for taste, of course – but there are subtle differences in the way they affect your body and determine your health. Is one more fattening than another? How do their heart benefits compare? And which gives the worse hangover?

Which gets you drunk more quickly?

A pint of lager and a medium glass of wine both contain around the same alcohol content – two or three British units (16-24g). However, your descent into inebriation relies on that alcohol passing into your blood stream – and the speed at which this happens can depend on the type of drink.

Mack Mitchell at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Centre recently asked a group of 15 men to imbibe different drinks on different days. He made sure that the alcohol content was precisely matched to their body weight – and ensured they drank the alcohol at precisely the same rate, over a 20 minute period. Unsurprisingly, spirits entered the blood stream quickest, leading to the highest peak in blood alcohol content – followed by wine (reaching a peak 54 minutes after drinking) and then beer (which peaked 62 minutes after the drink was finished). In other words, a glass of wine will go to your head more quickly than a pint of beer.

Verdict: Beer is less likely to lead to embarrassment

Which gives you the biggest paunch?

At face value, the myth of the beer belly should be true. Alcohol itself contains calories, not to mention all the sugars that make our favourite drinks so tasty. And at around 180 calories, a pint of beer has 50% more energy content than a small glass of wine – enough to cause you to pile on the pounds.
For moderate drinkers, however, the differences seem to be minimal. A recent review of studies concluded that neither wine nor beer drinkers tend to put on weight over the short-term. The authors noted, however, that the longest study had lasted just 10 weeks. The studies could have missed minor weight gain – and even 1kg (2.2lbs) over that period would eventually add up to a beer belly weighing 25kg (55lbs) over five years. That’s the equivalent to carrying 10 full-term babies.
(On the plus side, the commonly held view that beer may cause men to develop breasts is almost certainly an unfounded myth.)

Verdict: Slim differences, but wine may have the edge

Which gives the worst hangover?

Despite their best efforts, scientists have yet to conquer the drinker’s most formidable foe: the hangover. We don’t even fully understand what causes it. Dehydration is likely to be an important factor (alcohol makes us pee more liquid than we take in) but it may also be caused by some of the byproducts of fermentation. Called congeners, these organic molecules give each drink its unique flavour and aroma, but they may also be toxic to the body, resulting in the throbbing head and nausea that usually follows a night of excess.
In general, darker drinks are thought to contain more congeners. In fact, the evidence so far is ambiguous. Although certain dark spirits like bourbon do seem to produce a worse hangover than crystal clear vodka, different types of beer and wine so far seem to be equal. So provided you haven’t turned to the hard stuff, you can’t blame your choice of drink for your agony.

Verdict: Too ambiguous to call

Which is better (or worse) for my health?

We are often told that a glass of wine a day could help rejuvenate the body, reducing our risk of heart disease, high blood pressure, and diabetes. This life-giving sustenance is thought to come from “polyphenols” (found especially in red wine) that soothe inflammation and mop up damaging chemicals in the body.
Beer is conspicuously absent from these health bulletins, but it too contains a fair share of polyphenols, and seems to offer modest benefits, akin to white wine but less than red wine. Clearly, none of this gives you a free pass to binge drink, but if drank in moderation, a glass a day really may keep the doctor away.

Verdict: Red wine wins hands down, but beer may be better than no drink at all

Overall verdict: When it comes to health benefits, wine edges it as the best medicine. However, beer drinkers can at least respond that their drink has the more illustrious history. In fact, some anthropologists have suggested that our taste for beer might have planted the seeds of agriculture, and therefore civilisation itself. That’s something to contemplate the next time you’re waiting at the bar.

source: BBC

29 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Beer Vs Wine: Which Is Better? by dominique(f): 12:15pm On Oct 27, 2015
I've read more than once that a glass of red wine does the body a lot of good. Too bad most people don't drink moderately

24 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Beer Vs Wine: Which Is Better? by Nobody: 1:38pm On Oct 27, 2015
Beer is readily available where I stay so developed a taste for it. Never liked wine and brand name ones're always more expensive than their beer counterparts.

Reading this article made me crave some green bottles. Can't wait for this evening.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Beer Vs Wine: Which Is Better? by PRISTINEMUSCLES: 8:30pm On Oct 27, 2015
Red wine. I so love that drink. Most especially for its heart benefits. Moderation is key, no excuse to overindulge.

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Beer Vs Wine: Which Is Better? by damton(m): 10:30pm On Oct 31, 2015
so, what is the place of PAMMIE in our health

43 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Beer Vs Wine: Which Is Better? by Onozboy(m): 10:31pm On Oct 31, 2015
guess what

wine is better ,no beer is better ,sorry wine is better ,no beer is better..

#Questionforthegods

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Beer Vs Wine: Which Is Better? by BE811APP: 10:31pm On Oct 31, 2015
Red wine is healthy!

2 Likes

Re: Beer Vs Wine: Which Is Better? by DICKtator: 10:31pm On Oct 31, 2015
Nice "Atiku"

But they're all pleasurable (Red wine is good for the heart,beer is good to fight a bear!!!)

And I enjoy the hedonistic lifestyle

10 bottles of Orijin for me.

I sabi Orijinality!!!!

grin grin grin grin

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Beer Vs Wine: Which Is Better? by 69MissedCalls(m): 10:31pm On Oct 31, 2015
wait let me ask Mr. Ibu
Re: Beer Vs Wine: Which Is Better? by Hayordejee: 10:32pm On Oct 31, 2015
Which one gives potruded belly? grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Beer Vs Wine: Which Is Better? by Kockane(m): 10:32pm On Oct 31, 2015
Wine or Beer? Me, I prefer alcohol to the two of them. kiss

17 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Beer Vs Wine: Which Is Better? by Aitee1: 10:32pm On Oct 31, 2015
Wine ofcourse!!!

Just pass me a glass of kagor and we'll be friends for life! wink

2 Likes

Re: Beer Vs Wine: Which Is Better? by lekjons(m): 10:32pm On Oct 31, 2015
death and illness, which is better? undecided

2 Likes

Re: Beer Vs Wine: Which Is Better? by JaypeeAnics(m): 10:32pm On Oct 31, 2015
wine is better....Cus beer will only make ur tommy big d more. but when I go out I drink anyone...asking as its for free.

2 Likes

Re: Beer Vs Wine: Which Is Better? by Nobody: 10:32pm On Oct 31, 2015
both

1 Like

Re: Beer Vs Wine: Which Is Better? by eleko1: 10:32pm On Oct 31, 2015
Stop drinking the poison una kal BEER.It wundjure the liver/kidney embarassed.Quit smoking too,stay alive wink Wine is OK but I prefer ordinary Water. Pls Save a soul.Lil AYOLIGHT need our help.Send uur donation to OGUNRUKU MERCY ITUNU.UBA Account num 2056071186.Good bless U

2 Likes

Re: Beer Vs Wine: Which Is Better? by kennyman2000(m): 10:32pm On Oct 31, 2015
Wine everytime!
Re: Beer Vs Wine: Which Is Better? by Nobody: 10:33pm On Oct 31, 2015
Wine is classy.

3 Likes

Re: Beer Vs Wine: Which Is Better? by colossus2: 10:33pm On Oct 31, 2015
Tea
Re: Beer Vs Wine: Which Is Better? by Nobody: 10:33pm On Oct 31, 2015
The habit for wine is refined when compared to beer!

1 Like

Re: Beer Vs Wine: Which Is Better? by oluseyiforjesus(m): 10:33pm On Oct 31, 2015
Non of d Above; Water is d best
Re: Beer Vs Wine: Which Is Better? by allanphash7(m): 10:33pm On Oct 31, 2015
Team beer

Team heiny (heineken)

Or jedi (otalenu)

4 Likes

Re: Beer Vs Wine: Which Is Better? by Henrypraise: 10:33pm On Oct 31, 2015
I take non, how eva, I believe in d medicinal value of Indian hemp. I wud rada smoke, eat n drink Indian hemp dan to drink beer or spirit.

Tank u.

6 Likes

Re: Beer Vs Wine: Which Is Better? by coldsummer: 10:34pm On Oct 31, 2015
misinformation. When they hear beer, they zero it down to star and harp.

2 Likes

Re: Beer Vs Wine: Which Is Better? by tellwisdom: 10:34pm On Oct 31, 2015
Are you kidding me?? BEER. angry

2 Likes

Re: Beer Vs Wine: Which Is Better? by Xbee007(m): 10:34pm On Oct 31, 2015
Water.
Re: Beer Vs Wine: Which Is Better? by Nobody: 10:34pm On Oct 31, 2015
undecided
Re: Beer Vs Wine: Which Is Better? by JaypeeAnics(m): 10:35pm On Oct 31, 2015
in WizKids voice...
ogogoro no sweet pass pami o babe oo
but ogogoro dey high pass pami ooo...
so I take d one dat makes me high d most....most local herb drinks like kerewa, alomo, besharp, oshomo, monkey tale...etc...dey r all wine

2 Likes

Re: Beer Vs Wine: Which Is Better? by Nobody: 10:35pm On Oct 31, 2015
What can separate me from the love of beer

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Turkey: Conjoined Twin Babies Successfully Separated After 27-Hour Operation / Fertility Clinics Buy Sperm From Lagosians For N50,000 / "Doctors At FMC Asaba Killed My Wife During Childbirth" - Man Claims (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.