Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,977 members, 7,825,048 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 02:31 AM

Why Is It Difficult To Find Hostel Accommodation In Lagos? - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Why Is It Difficult To Find Hostel Accommodation In Lagos? (1109 Views)

Hostel Accommodation To Let: Newly Built 24-room Self-contained / Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice / Help!!! In Need Of Hostel Accommodation At Skyfield, Sabo Yaba, Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is It Difficult To Find Hostel Accommodation In Lagos? by mrsage(m): 5:49pm On Oct 28, 2015
Hostels are very vital in a metropolitan city like Lagos.
We have a lot of working class people who need shortlet accommodation.
We also have people who visit Lagos for business or events.

Hostels are readily available in developed countries.

I believe the hostel business is viable in Lagos. I have friends who live in Ikorodu and other extreme parts of town and they journey to The Island daily. These guys are an ideal target for hostel accommodation.

Experts in the house, let us discuss the prospects of this business and the challenges too.
Re: Why Is It Difficult To Find Hostel Accommodation In Lagos? by true2home(m): 6:17pm On Oct 28, 2015
Your observation is duly valued. The issue with hostel in Lagos Metropolitan is the high cost of land. For the price of a good land near the business districts, how many hostels can fit on a plot and still be able to recoup investment within reasonable time. Only Gov can venture into that line in places like Lagos. as you know, our gov does not do charity like other develop society
Re: Why Is It Difficult To Find Hostel Accommodation In Lagos? by mrsage(m): 6:19pm On Oct 28, 2015
The hostels can have dormitories.

A dorm/ room may have 2 to 6 beds with lockers and a common room for entertainment.

Then a general store for luggage.
Re: Why Is It Difficult To Find Hostel Accommodation In Lagos? by mrsage(m): 6:35pm On Oct 28, 2015
true2home:
Your observation is duly valued. The issue with hostel in Lagos Metropolitan is the high cost of land. For the price of a good land near the business districts, how many hostels can fit on a plot and still be able to recoup investment within reasonable time. Only Gov can venture into that line in places like Lagos. as you know, our gov does not do charity like other develop society

I agree with you. Land is not cheap here in Lagos. However with some form of planning and creativity we can make it work.

1st. The facility may not be located in the heart of VI, Marina or Ikoyi. Investors may choose a location on the mainland but very close to these areas and accessible too.
Examples include: Surulere, Ojuelegba, Costain, Yaba, Lawanson etc.

Again I believe that with proper architectural designs space can be maximised fully.
A lot can be done on half a plot of Land.
Re: Why Is It Difficult To Find Hostel Accommodation In Lagos? by 3Dee(m): 6:40pm On Oct 28, 2015
It's a welcome development. However, population and availability of land are the major constraints.
Building sky scrapers would be a viable idea, but capital and sponsors could also hinder such project.
Let's hear the view of sagacious nairalanders.
Re: Why Is It Difficult To Find Hostel Accommodation In Lagos? by true2home(m): 7:12pm On Oct 28, 2015
Im sure it can be done with some creative design and critical brainstorming. I hope to be partaker in such development in the near future. working on sure project now. Hopefully, my research and pilot program yields positive result.
mrsage:

I agree with you. Land is not cheap here in Lagos. However with some form of planning and creativity we can make it work.

1st. The facility may not be located in the heart of VI, Marina or Ikoyi. Investors may choose a location on the mainland but very close to these areas and accessible too.
Examples include: Surulere, Ojuelegba, Costain, Yaba, Lawanson etc.

Again I believe that with proper architectural designs space can be maximised fully.
A lot can be done on half a plot of Land.
Re: Why Is It Difficult To Find Hostel Accommodation In Lagos? by mrsage(m): 7:14pm On Oct 28, 2015
3Dee:
It's a welcome development. However, population and availability of land are the major constraints.
Building sky scrapers would be a viable idea, but capital and sponsors could also hinder such project.
Let's hear the view of sagacious nairalanders.

I considered that too. High rise buildings will help to maximize available land.
Re: Why Is It Difficult To Find Hostel Accommodation In Lagos? by 3Dee(m): 9:33pm On Oct 28, 2015
mrsage:

I considered that too. High rise buildings will help to maximize available land.

You're quite right sir. There's need for Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) for such projects to be realistic.

(1) (Reply)

4 Bedroom Ensuite Apartment In Victoria Island, Available To-let / LEKKI ROYAL GARDEN ESTATE WITH C of O 5MINS AFTER LEKKI FREE TRADE ZONE / NEW HOUSE: Luxurious 3 Bedroom Apartment @lekki 4th Rdabout For RENT @N1,500,000

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.