Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,536 members, 7,827,004 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 03:46 AM

Our Role In Odegbami’s Failed Bid, By Pinnick NNF President - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Our Role In Odegbami’s Failed Bid, By Pinnick NNF President (607 Views)

Abeke Odegbami Is Dead! Segun Odegbami Loses Mother / Edem Offiong Weds Michael Odegbami. See Their Customized Wedding Cake (Pics) / Segun Odegbami For FIFA President Promo Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Our Role In Odegbami’s Failed Bid, By Pinnick NNF President by adioolayi(m): 2:25am On Oct 29, 2015
Our role in Odegbami’s failed bid, by Pinnick
October 29, 2015 at 1:42 am
BY JUDE OPARA
Abuja  – President of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), Amaju Pinnick has refuted claims by former international, Chief Segun Odegbami that his failure to register for the forthcoming election for the FIFA presidency was due to sabotage from home.

Odegbami who, despite getting the endorsement of the NFF ahead of former Abia State governor, Dr. Orji Uzor Kalu on Tuesday claimed that the NFF did not give him all the support because their endorsement came late. He also accused his rival, Orji Kalu as well as former executive member of FIFA, Dr. Amos Adamu of scuttling his journey to Zurich.
But addressing journalists after an emergency committee meeting late on Tuesday, Pinnick said the NFF after getting the final government endorsement of Odegbami last Thursday forwarded same to him because he was the person that substantially complied with the laid down requirements needed for anybody to be presented as a candidate for the election slated to take place in February, 2016.
“The federation met a couple of months ago and gave some conditions for anybody wishing to contest to meet, including getting endorsement from local federation; proof of eligibility as specified by the FIFA Electoral Code; endorsement from government nomination and we thought he had other nominations because he is a very popular person not just in Africa but beyond. I did my best as president of NFF. I was calling him every one hour, I don’t think we did badly as a federation.
“Ordinarily when you are going for a contest like this, there are 209 federations and you needed only five endorsements you should have gotten it.
“And talking about the so-called sabotage, I don’t want to delve into such a sensitive area, I don’t think it is true, nobody could have arm twisted me. To me it is unfortunate that we lost out but we should leave it like that, I will say we have learnt our lessons.”
Many analysts have expressed regrets that the former national team captain failed to fly the country’s flag at the FIFA elections even after getting the endorsement of the NFF before the deadline last Monday.

http://linkis.com/www.vanguardngr.com/GhSgK

cc: mukina2

(1) (Reply)

More Photos From The Ongoing Aba City Half Marathon / The New Chelsea Continues To Defy All Odds / Mikel Obi Say's Chelsea's Atmosphere's Much Better Now Than Under Jose Mourinho

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.