Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,110 members, 7,814,895 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:22 PM

Beer Has More Sugar ? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Beer Has More Sugar ? (8377 Views)

Nigerian Breweries Launches Stella Larger Beer, Many Reconsider Naming Daughters / Most Coffee/tea Contain More Sugar Than Coca-cola / Man Dies After Drinking 4 Crates Of Beer In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Beer Has More Sugar ? by daryoor(m): 10:34am On Oct 30, 2015
im sure you must have heard the theory that beer and other alcoholic beverages has more sugar content than the regular soft drinks ( such as coke and lacasera) because a lot of sugar is needed to make the bitterness bearable.
i dont know anything about biochemistry of food engineering or whatever field that deals with this issue. the question i have for people who give this theory is that, how come my best friend Ugochukwu can drink 5 bottles of trophy ( a beer brand) and still wake up the next day with no significant side effect. but if he tries to drink 5 bottles of coke, the pile (jedi jedi) that will destroy his destiny the next day...

so my question is , if there is more sugar in the bottle of beer shouldnt he die after taking 5 bottles ?
Re: Beer Has More Sugar ? by kzenterprise(m): 11:41am On Oct 30, 2015
Lol the effect is not as fast as it is when you drink soft drinks the effect is a long process causing fatty liver which can lead to diabetes or immediate effect which is not common with everyone could be basing or bloating of the stomach
Re: Beer Has More Sugar ? by ideyhere(f): 11:32pm On Oct 30, 2015
Sugar in those soft drinks are monosacharides eg glucose. These don't need any further breakdown. They are just utilized in that form by the body and passes the excess in urine. Thus the cause of the speedy symptoms.

Beer on the other hand contain disaccharides eg maltose and polysaccharides eg starch. These need to first be broken down into monosacharides. Liver with the help of pancreas do most of this work. So beer in addition to arriving up at the same end point, would overwork your system first. And this is even worse because the body is programmed to see alcohol as toxic. So once it's in, the body keeps working to eliminate it...and wouldn't rest till the whole alcohol is degraded. One of the reasons for the morning hangover.
I could go on and on, but then google would be a better tutor.

4 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Your Favorite Type Of Bush Meat? / Must Read! Amazing Benefits Of Sesame Seed(beni Seed) Oil / The Best Peppery Jollof Rice Recipe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.