Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,406 members, 7,819,438 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:19 PM

Rightly Interpreting The Bible And Avoiding Heresies - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Rightly Interpreting The Bible And Avoiding Heresies (643 Views)

What's The Yardstick For Interpreting The Christian Bible? / Bus Carrying Synagogue Church Members Falls Into Ditch While Avoiding Cows / 7 Biblical/ Wisdom Ways To Avoiding "RAPE" At All Cost In A Filthy World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rightly Interpreting The Bible And Avoiding Heresies by PMIcon(m): 1:24pm On Oct 30, 2015
The Bible is full of live transforming information- if you allow the real Author, the Holy Spirit to guide you as you read and you follow the wisdom tips I will be sharing.

Kindly follow this topic to get the tips as I post.

1 Like

Re: Rightly Interpreting The Bible And Avoiding Heresies by Osocan(m): 2:00pm On Oct 30, 2015
Following
PMIcon:
The Bible is full of live transforming information- if you allow the real Author, the Holy Spirit to guide you as you read and you follow the wisdom tips I will be sharing.

Re: Rightly Interpreting The Bible And Avoiding Heresies by PMIcon(m): 11:07pm On Oct 30, 2015
Please understand that we have different audience here so don't count any point as too obvious and unnecessary.
Experience has shown me that nothing is unnecessarily, people are from different background and you may be surprised sometimes by the view of others because of what they've been exposed to all their life.

They've heard the wrong things while growing up so many times and from people they respect that they've been convinced those things are true. In fact, they think those wrong believes are what everybody believes until someone show them something else from the scriptures.

You may be among those I'm talking about. It requires humility to hear from the Holy Spirit when He is talking to you through someone else. So as we go keep a humble heart. I too am open to contributions but not arguments. We are not here to proof we know something but to grow in grace through the knowledge of God
Re: Rightly Interpreting The Bible And Avoiding Heresies by PMIcon(m): 11:32pm On Oct 30, 2015
THE BIBLE IS LIBRARY NOT JUST A BOOK

My first point is that the Bible is not a single book.

The Bible is a library of books written over a wide duration of time and covers events and topics/issues of different types that span from eternity past to eternity to come as well as from one covenant relationship of God with humans to another.

This makes context and culture very important in helping your mind easily grasp what God's Spirit is revealing to your own spirit. Your spirit grasps the truth but your mind can get you confused because you are trying to interpret, for example, a statement in the old testament part of the Bible to mean the same in the new testament. This may not necessarily be so. The death and resurrection of Jesus Christ changed everything and we will talk about some as we go on.

This will also help you appreciate the divine wisdom displayed in the gradual unfolding of revelations. For example, the Word that created the world in Genesis became the Word that came into the world in the gospel and then the Word that will judge the world in the book of revelation. That brings me to the second point.
Re: Rightly Interpreting The Bible And Avoiding Heresies by Nobody: 11:36pm On Oct 30, 2015
PMIcon:

Kindly tell us how the "holy spirit" can guide us by reading the part that says stone your wayward child to death? Kindly explain pls
Re: Rightly Interpreting The Bible And Avoiding Heresies by PMIcon(m): 12:03am On Oct 31, 2015
THE BIBLE AS A WHOLE DIRECTS YOU TO SEE ONE PERSON: JESUS the Christ

Jesus Christ is the complete revelation of God to humans about God and humans. As a whole, the concept of the scripture is to reveal Jesus. Jesus Christ himself had to tell the religious leaders of his days in the world that, "you search the scriptures daily to gain eternal life yet these things are written about me."(Paraphrased)

When you pick the Bible to read, God wants you to see who Jesus is, what he does, what he will not do, his assignment on earth and presently in heaven, his nature and his heart.

The Holy Spirit is the one that reveals and rightly interprets the scripture to us. Without him we won't get the truth out of the Bible But it is not his responsibility to make you know Moses or Elijah or David or Apostle Paul. Jesus said when the Holy Spirit comes (and he has come) he will speak of him(Jesus).
If you are seeing Moses as your pattern and mentor or seeing Apostle Paul or Peter, you have missed the essence of their story being told. Even Paul the Apostle said, "Follow me AS I FOLLOW CHRIST." So when you read about anybody, look for Jesus in them AND recognize what IS NOT Jesus in them and in whatever they say. You should learn from the success as well as the failure of others. Jesus is the standard. Not what you think about Jesus- how he should be in your own view- but what the Holy Spirit reveals to you from the scripture about Jesus is the standard.
Re: Rightly Interpreting The Bible And Avoiding Heresies by PMIcon(m): 11:50pm On Oct 31, 2015
THE New Testament DID NOT START IN MATTHEW 1: 1

This is very important
Jesus Christ did not just come a Christ the saviour of the world but also as the prophet to the Jews. As a prophet he said he was sent only to the lost sheep of Israel. He taught them (the Jews) as a prophet under the old testament.

The New Testament started with the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. So be keep this in mind when you read the New Testament "gospel"(Matthew, Mark, Luke, John). Who was Jesus talking to? His disciples or the Pharisees (custodians of the law of Moses, under the old testament) or other Jews.

That is why after healing a leper, he told him to go and show himself to the priest AND OFFER THE SACRIFICE Moses instructed. That was old testament. The same reason he traveled to Jerusalem to observe different Jewish festivals and kept the Sabbath- which is a shadow. Jesus himself is the substance (according to Colossians 2:16-17:

16Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day. 17These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ)

There are statements like the issue of the sacrifice above and others that Jesus fulfilled on our behalf as regards the law. We who are in Christ now are not bound to the law of Moses. We should separate living a Christ-like life from obeying Mosaic law- all the feasts, Sabbath, eat/not eat, unclean this and that, etc- they are shadows. Even the law of the tithe CANNOT be obeyed if you are not Jewish. You need to take it to the temple at Jerusalem not the synagogues (church buildings today). And the tithe anywhere in the Bible is never money-- always animals and crops. When they convert it to money for ease of travel to Jerusalem, they are to revert back to edibles when they reach there. These are all laws under Moses with
principles we can learn from rather than be bound to the law and make the death of Jesus look unnecessary.

1 Like

Re: Rightly Interpreting The Bible And Avoiding Heresies by Joeself1(m): 1:00am On Nov 01, 2015
wow
Re: Rightly Interpreting The Bible And Avoiding Heresies by Tolustar(m): 3:48pm On Nov 02, 2015
Wow this is awesome:

Check out this app Bible Topics https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tolustar.bibletopics

The app is a bible study app that categorizes verses of the bible to certain topics
that fit your situation or condition (Conditions such as "the need for comfort", "In

an addiction","Experiencing Hardships"wink.

Bible topics also help you to know the verses of the bible that relate to certain

topics such as (comfort, commitment, success, Fear of God, Achievement, Fruits of

the spirit e.t.c).

(1) (Reply)

The Best Amongst You Is The One Who Learns The Quran And Teaches It / For Healings And Delivery Cousels Contact SCOAN Email:prophet_tbjoshua@live.com / Difference Between Christmas And Xmas

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.