Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,317 members, 7,839,516 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 09:28 PM

Education Might Just Be The Only Option - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Education Might Just Be The Only Option (492 Views)

Graduating With Second Class Lower Is No Longer An Option - Vincent Adeoba / JAMB Denies Introducing Points System Option For Screening / JAMB Adopts “Point System” Option For 2016 Admission. How To Calculate Points (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Education Might Just Be The Only Option by Nobody: 10:46am On Oct 31, 2015
When you take a look at our economy, one can't help buh wonder if and when d magic will take place. people apportion blames to different sectors, different people and forget to look at the education sector

I once read a research where the researcher said, "the level of development of a country can never exceed the quality of its teachers". I guess now we know where the problem begins.

A friend once asked me during a discussion, " do you knw why USA, ENGLAND, UK, CHINA, SA, etc are much ahead of Nigeria with little hope of catching up? After a million wrong guesses, he said it was because of the quality of education. Now, Let's check it out. Among d list of the best 100 schools in the world, can we find Nigeria anywhere? But you find up to 3 school from USA and so on from other nations

Some will say its d government's duty to check these. Now let me com down to where we contribute individually. How will d quality of education increase when we the school owners run schools solely as business ventures(am not against making profit mind you) without having intentions what so Ever of giving quality education? You see them employing SSCE holders to teach primary and even secondary schools (can you beat that?). school owners go out and borrow equipments in other to gain approval from ministry and this happens down to d university level(weeping). Secondly Graduates take teaching as a last option. I remember back then in the university, my friends were laughing at We education students as NFAs(no future ambition) some of us were so ashamed that we started lying about our course of study while others dropped, others completed just for d name of being a graduate with intention of a 2nd degree or diversion in Masters (I Thank God I now know my worth)

Lastly, how will a teach or lecturer teach or lecture effectively with out being qualified to? A nurse cannot start performing surgery just because she knows how to abi because she is a graduate. In my final year my project supervisor was saying that there was a rumor that all lecturers must have backgrounds in education minimum NCE added to their qualifications to be allowed to lecture and all without at least a certificate in education were given time to present theirs.
I was so glad to hear that and prayed it would be a reality one day.

I can't exhaust all my greviances because my write up is getting bulky. But let's contribute and share our greviances. how can we help Nigeria in our own little way? Buhari can't do everything without us. Even if he tries, his efforts might be thwarted by us if we refuse to change.
Re: Education Might Just Be The Only Option by Luckymay(f): 11:49am On Oct 31, 2015
Nice piece u got here. But i think our government has a bigger role to play. Imo, some private schools should be closed. The ones still standing should be well monitored. Government schools should be well equipped and teachers should be paid well cos its not easy to impact knowledge. Government Negligence is one among the numerous reasons our educational sector is a failure.

1 Like

Re: Education Might Just Be The Only Option by Nobody: 1:21pm On Oct 31, 2015
Luckymay:
Nice piece u got here. But i think our government has a bigger role to play. Imo, some private schools should be closed. The ones still standing should be well monitored. Government schools should be well equipped and teachers should be paid well cos its not easy to impact knowledge. Government Negligence is one among the numerous reasons our educational sector is a failure.

Dats veryy true

1 Like

Re: Education Might Just Be The Only Option by nairaslim(m): 8:08pm On Nov 21, 2015
This is an interesting topic...

Well we all can sit and complain that government is bad, we lac resources etc...

OR

We can find ways of changing it... example...

CHURCHES and MOSQUES play a vital role... but the drive is missing... every church or mosque can start teaching basic education at least primary besides relgion...irrespective of the age of the student....

Many young unemploed youth can teach as volunteers or offer free tution to poor kids in their locality while they search for jobs....

We see friends gather for party, movies, fun, food, drink but we dont see friends gather for charity, volunteering or activities which cna change societies.

We must remember change starts with us the young and the youth of Nigerians....

Ameen.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Will You Burn Your Certificates For 1billion Naira? / Developing Countries Scholarships - CUD Scholarship Program / OSUSTECH Supplementary Admission List 2015/2016 Has Been Released

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.