Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,087 members, 7,849,406 topics. Date: Monday, 03 June 2024 at 08:47 PM

Facts About Pigeons - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Facts About Pigeons (1565 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Facts About Pigeons by Mlawal1019: 11:28am On Nov 02, 2015
Facts about pigeons

Pigeons are incredibly complex and intelligent animals. They are one of only a small number of species to pass the ‘mirror test’ – a test of self recognition. They can also recognise each letter of the human alphabet, differentiate between photographs, and even distinguish different humans within a photograph.
Pigeons are renowned for their outstanding navigational abilities. They use a range of skills, such as using the sun as a guide and an internal ‘magnetic compass’. A study at Oxford University found that they will also use landmarks as signposts and will travel along man-made roads and motorways, even changing direction at junctions.
Pigeons are highly sociable animals. They will often be seen in flocks of 20-30 birds.
Pigeons mate for life, and tend to raise two chicks at the same time.
Both female and male pigeons share responsibility of caring for and raising young. Both sexes take turn incubating the eggs and both feed the chicks ‘pigeon milk’ – a special secretion from the lining of the crop which both sexes produce.
Pigeons have excellent hearing abilities. They can detect sounds at far lower frequencies than humans are able to, and can thus hear distant storms and volcanoes.
Despite the social perception as dirty and disease-ridden, pigeons are actually very clean animals and there is very little evidence to suggest that they are significant transmitters of disease.
Pigeons and humans have lived in close proximity for thousands of years. The first recordings of this date back to Mesopotamis, modern Iraq, in 3000bc.
Although pigeon droppings are seen by some as a problem in modern society, a few centuries ago pigeon guano was seen as extremely valuable. It was viewed as the best available fertiliser and armed guards would even stand by dovecotes (pigeon houses) to stop others taking the droppings.
Pigeons can fly at altitudes up to and beyond 6000 feet, and at an average speed of 77.6 mph. The fastest recorded speed is 92.5 mph.
Pigeons are fed by many members of different religions including Muslims, Hindus and Sikhs for spiritual reasons. Some older Sikhs will ceremoniously feed them in honour of Guru Gobind Singh, a high priest who was renowned as a friend to pigeons.

To order call +2348030656016

1 Share

Re: Facts About Pigeons by Nobody: 11:35am On Nov 02, 2015
OP, do you have the exact breeds in the pictures above?
Re: Facts About Pigeons by Mlawal1019: 2:24pm On Nov 02, 2015
Yes I get similar breed but pic. Above are not my bird
Re: Facts About Pigeons by Woke4all(m): 6:23am On Nov 03, 2015
pigeons are lovely birds. I use to have over 80 of them back thensmiley

What kind of pigeon is in that 3rd pics? Haven seen such breed before.
Re: Facts About Pigeons by Mlawal1019: 11:25am On Nov 03, 2015
OK it is Modena king pigeon woke4all

(1) (Reply)

How Do I Make Poison And Kill 3 Big Monitor Lazard Coming Close To My Properties / Wow Check Out Lio Messi S Dog / Advice Me Before Buying This Puppy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.