Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,358 members, 7,819,287 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:45 PM

10 Men Aliko Dangote Cannot Do Without - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / 10 Men Aliko Dangote Cannot Do Without (63052 Views)

Why Dangote Cannot Invest In Igboland / Aliko Dangote Celebrates His 59th Birthday Today! / Meet Aliko Dangote's Daughter, Halima (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Men Aliko Dangote Cannot Do Without by nightmile: 11:37am On Nov 03, 2015
costandi:
And you think its an achievement for a full-fledged Igbo man to be dangotes servant?
We are bigger than that.
Anummanu!!

Armed robbery and drug peddling is a better option for Igbos..

1 Like

Re: 10 Men Aliko Dangote Cannot Do Without by costandi(m): 11:39am On Nov 03, 2015
nightmile:

Armed robbery and drug peddling is a better option for Igbos..
Ok, Bye.

1 Like

Re: 10 Men Aliko Dangote Cannot Do Without by MAYOWAAK: 11:41am On Nov 03, 2015
olatunji21:

Abeg stop wishing us bad jere.... I salute those that have stayed in the business despite the very harsh business environment....Dangote enjoys govt support which is not available to his competitors, now tell me how he's not going to be successful...

I am very much aware that Dangote is a hot potato issue, and understandably too, given his enormous wealth in a society of predominantly poor people. I am also aware that the common narrative, especially by his critics, is that Dangote is a creation of the Nigerian government. Such notion is not without foundation when you look at the quantum of his wealth and how close he has been to the seat of power, especially in the last two decades. However, such a simplistic way of looking at the Dangote phenomenon is rather lazy. For me, the Dangote story can be explained within the context of the Biblical parable of talents as told by our Lord Jesus Christ in Matthew 25: 14-30 which centred on a certain rich man who, before embarking on a journey, entrusted his assets to three of his servants. To one servant was given five talents; another two talents; and the last servant was given one talent. The master in this parable obviously knew that his servants did not have equal abilities but the way each deployed the asset and the eventual outcome is a study in faithfulness and industry.

The lesson of the parable, as one commentator put it, is that while we all begin from different starting points in life, it is not always what we are given that determines our success or failure but rather how we deploy such talents. The point is that if we take the Nigerian rentier state as the distributor of talents, and we agree that Dangote started off with five talents, the fact also remains that there are several others who received one “talent” each and I am not even talking of those who (by virtue of holding public offices), gave themselves multiple ill-gotten “talents”. The challenge of our country is that majority of those people (and they are probably in hundreds of thousands) “buried” their own talents in pursuit of personal pleasure without adding any value to themselves or our society. By investing his own “talents” very wisely and taking calculated risks, Dangote has done good for himself and our society and that then explains why he has moved from making money to creating wealth. Besides, the symbolism of Dangote as Africa’s response to the rise of wealth ambassadors in different regions of the world should ordinarily compel a feeling of pride in us as Nigerians.Olusegun Verdict-Segun Adeniyi(SSA on Media to Late President Umar Yar Adua)

1 Like

Re: 10 Men Aliko Dangote Cannot Do Without by MAYOWAAK: 11:43am On Nov 03, 2015
olatunji21:

Abeg stop wishing us bad jere.... I salute those that have stayed in the business despite the very harsh business environment....Dangote enjoys govt support which is not available to his competitors, now tell me how he's not going to be successful...

I know from experience that anytime I write about Dangote, I get criticised by those who are fixated about the fact that the system has been generous to him. I am well aware of that. But what many ignore, as I usually counter, is that the transition from trading into manufacturing, as Dangote did, was a risky enterprise that required guts and now that it has paid off for him, we should not begrudge him his rewards. Besides, the illustration I often use is the Biblical parable of talents (a most profound teaching by the Lord Jesus Christ) that is set within the context of investments and productivity (Matthew 25: 14-30).

As the parable goes, shortly before embarking on a journey, a rich man delegated the management of his wealth to three servants by giving five talents to one, two talents to another and one talent to a third. While, upon his return, the first two earned him a hundred percent profit on his investments, the third servant who had buried his talent in the ground returned it without profit.

In his exposition on the parable, Hugh Whelchel argues that since the Bible makes it clear that the master understood the capacity of each servant, that then explained the disparity in the number of talents given them. “We want to protest this as unfair. Yet we know this is true from our own experience. But even though we’re not created equal in regard to the talents we’re given, there is equality found in the Parable of the Talents. It comes from the fact that it takes just as much work for the five-talent servant to produce five more talents as it does the two-talent servant to produce two more talents. This is why the reward given by the master is the same. The master measures success by degrees of effort…The unfaithful steward in this parable didn’t so much waste the master’s money – he wasted an opportunity”, wrote Whelchel.

I have heard stories from some business competitors of both Dangote and Adenuga about how ruthless they can be and I will not defend them on those scores. In any case, Mario Puzo, in his classic, ‘The Godfather’, has already made it clear that you don’t amass stupendous wealth in any society without breaking some rules. But to the extent that fortunes favour the brave, I will say that the duo of Dangote and Adenuga deserve the rewards for all the risks they take.

The point here is simple: For every Dangote and Adenuga that the Nigerian State has given either five or two ‘talents’, there are thousands of other Nigerian businessmen who have been handed a ‘talent’ each. And most of them have squandered those ‘talents’. Indeed, if a tenth of the number of the people who were handed one ‘talent’ each had been faithful, Nigeria would be a better country today. Therefore, when many of us argue that we need more Dangotes and Adenugas in Nigeria, we are not talking about the quantum of ‘talents’ they have been given but rather in the efforts they put in while deploying those ‘talents’ for the advancement of our society.

Yet, if tasked, I can list more than a hundred Nigerians who are billionaires yet have no daytime job and they hardly task themselves beyond playing golf, attending parties and giving in to all forms of vanities. These are people who employ no more than drivers, cooks, gardeners, stewards and the likes—personal staff who merely minister to their indulgences and those of their families.

Thanks to social media, at least many Nigerians have read about some idle oil barons who waste hundreds of thousands of dollars ferrying around some super models in their private jets from Monaco Grand Prix to Horse races in London. We also know of those who sponsor hundreds of their friends to go and attend the wedding ceremonies of their children in Dubai. Many of these characters, creations of the Nigerian State and its rent system, have no visible investment anywhere within our country and they create no jobs. Yet, to the extent that the challenge of the moment is that of how far individual beneficiaries of state patronage are prepared to go in investing their advantages in productive enterprises, we must commend both Dangote and Adenuga.

Even their most implacable foes would concede that the duo have made the great crossing from passive receptacles of state patronage into active engines of economic productivity and growth. In addition, both men have been creative and innovative in their chosen areas of investment. The important lesson therefore is that no matter the source of their wealth, the Nigerian business oligarchs cannot defy the fundamental ethics of capitalism which are hard work and discipline. Those are the attributes that have set Dangote and Adenuga apart from the rest.-Olusegun Verdict -Segun Adeniyi(SSA on Media to Late President Umar Yar Adua)
Re: 10 Men Aliko Dangote Cannot Do Without by peterjero(m): 11:53am On Nov 03, 2015
Bluetooth2:

Sometimes I wish they can sell Nigeria to this guy so he can successfully run the country same way he runs his company.
Maybe you go pack comot if Dangote rule this country because his staffs aren't well paid as you think, and again one would expect he's the biggest employer of labour, but I will give it to the Great Atiku Abubakar who's isn't only the private highest employer of labour in Nigeria but he pays the highest as an indigenous business in nigeria. Atiku is just too much.

1 Like

Re: 10 Men Aliko Dangote Cannot Do Without by ril19(m): 12:16pm On Nov 03, 2015
You All Have Seen How He Shared It Among His Brothers And Some Yollobas. Buh Is It Because There Are No Super Capable Ibos? Certainly Not. Just Prejudice And Envy.
I Saw The Editorial Board Of A Newspaper Owned By A Yolloba Man And Believe Me All Of Dem Na Him Brothers.

Buh Take Another Honest Look At The Editorial Board Of The Newspaper Owned By Orji Kalu. Mike Awoyinfa Was The Head, Followed By The Late Dimgba Igwe And The Third Was Yet A Yolloba Femi Adeshina Of The Presidency. Plus Many More Examples.

What I Don't Get Is Why They're So Marginalistic In Their Thinking.
Re: 10 Men Aliko Dangote Cannot Do Without by wiseoneking: 12:31pm On Nov 03, 2015
temitemi1:
What abt his wives cheesy grin
No wife for now. Divorced, methink. The man is truly not a happy man. Money is good with peace and fear of God through Jesus. Most wealthy guys pretends that all is well but within is hopelesness.
Re: 10 Men Aliko Dangote Cannot Do Without by wiseoneking: 12:39pm On Nov 03, 2015
topsyking:
no ibo grin grin
They used to be there but always resign and stars their own company. They seem to believe and serving till death. Dangote prefers tribes that believe only in a paid jobs and people to enslaved.
Re: 10 Men Aliko Dangote Cannot Do Without by j4sure(m): 12:39pm On Nov 03, 2015
THE PILLARS
TitiJJ:
By KIKELOMO IWAJOMO

That billionaire businessman Alhaji Aliko Dangote runs one of the most successful conglomerates in the world is not in doubt. Dangote, who is the President/Chief Executive of the Dangote Group, has a powerful management team of managers who ensure the smooth running of his billion-dollar conglomerate.. Below, Dawn-To-Dusk News unveils 10 powerful men the Kano-born billionaire businessman can't do without.

SANI DANGOTE
Alhaji Sani Dangote is Aliko Dangote's brother. An established businessman with investments in key sectors of the economy including manufacturing, agriculture and oil services, he is the Group Vice President of Dangote Group. Alhaji Sani Dangote also sits on the Board of several other companies including Nigerian Textile Mills Plc, Nutra Sweet Limited, Gum Arabic Limited, Dangote Textile Mills Limited, and others.

ABDU DANTATA
Alhaji Abdu Garba Dantata, Aliko Dangote's cousin, is the Group Executive Director(GED) in charge of Logistics and Distribution. Before he was appointed GED, he was the Executive Director, Sales & Marketing. As Group Executive Director(GED) in charge of Logistics and Distribution in the Dangote Group, he is responsible for coordinating the sales and marketing of all products manufactured or imported by the Group.

JOSEPH MAKOJU
Engr. Joseph Makoju is the Honorary Adviser to Alhaji Aliko Dangote. He has held this position from 2009 to date. Makoju holds a BSc (1st Class) honours degree in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Nottingham, United Kingdom and an M.Phil. in Mechanical Engineering from the same university. Before his current position, Engr. Makoju was Chief Operating Officer, Dangote Cement.

OLAKUNLE ALAKE
Mr. Olakunle Alake is the Chief Operating Officer of the Dangote Group, a position he has held since January 2007. He holds a Bachelors degree in Civil Engineering from Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife (1983) and is a Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria.

KNUT ULVMOEN
A Norwegian, Mr. Knut Ulvmoen is the Group Managing Director, Dangote Cement Plc in charge of Sales and Marketing and International Trade in the African continent. He holds a Masters of Science degree in Business and is a member of the Norwegian Association of Authorised Accountants.

SADAN BAKI
Alhaji Sada Ladan-Baki has about 30 years experience in public service and fund administration. He is a graduate of Economics from the Ahmadu Bello University Zaria, and holds a Masters Degree in Business Administration. He sits on the board of several companies and belongs to many professional associations.

DEVAKUMAR EDWIN
Mr. D.V.G. Edwin is the Group Managing Director / CEO of Dangote Cement Plc. He holds a Graduate and Masters Degree in Engineering from the Madras University in India and he is also a Chartered Engineer. He holds a Post Graduate Diploma in Management from IITM, Holland. Mr. Edwin joined the Dangote Group in 1992 as a General Manager.

TAJUDEEN SIJUADE
Alhaji Tajudeen Sijuade, the Chief Financial Officer of Dangote Group, is a qualified Chartered Accountant (1984) with experience spanning 38 years. He joined the Dangote Group in October 1989 as a Chief Accountant. Before then, he had worked for Nestle Nigeria Plc and Akintola Williams-Chartered Accountants. He became General Manager in the Dangote Group in January 1998.

USEN UDOH
Mr. Usen Udoh is the Group Chief Human Resources Officer of the Dangote Group. Mr. Udoh is an alumnus of the prestigious Harvard Business School and holds an MBA from the University of Leicester School of Management, his first degree being of Bachelors of Engineering (with Hons). Prior to joining Dangote on May 2, 2014, Usen worked across several industries leading major industry change programmes.

KUZHYIL RAVINDRAN
Kuzhyil Ravindran is the Chief Financial Officer of Dangote Group. A qualified Chartered Accountant, he is a fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India. He has over 36 years experience in various professional capacities in leading Indian companies such as ACC Limited and Mahindra & Mahindra Limited. He has varied experience in different industries such as cement, auto ancillaries, tobacco and machine tools.

MANSUR AHMED
Engr. Mansur Ahmed is the Director, Stakeholder Relations and Corporate Communications of the Dangote Group in 2013. He has a first degree in Mechanical Engineering from Nottingham University (1972) and a Masters degree in Industrial Engineering and Administration from Cranfield Institute of Technology (now Cranfield University 1975) both in the United Kingdom.

http://dawntodusknews.com/10-men-aliko-dangote-cant-do-without/

Re: 10 Men Aliko Dangote Cannot Do Without by alpontif(m): 12:48pm On Nov 03, 2015
like 60 percent of them have Engineering Background.
Re: 10 Men Aliko Dangote Cannot Do Without by Kollyman: 12:49pm On Nov 03, 2015
Re: 10 Men Aliko Dangote Cannot Do Without by Kollyman: 12:50pm On Nov 03, 2015
costandi:
And you think its an achievement for a full-fledged Igbo man to be dangotes servant?
We are bigger than that. Unlike you oduduas who derive pleasure in being servants.
Anummanu!!

Eela oju kon ! Okalara ofesunkun, Pele oooooo.

Who go trust Igbo man with his money.

Anofia. grin

1 Like

Re: 10 Men Aliko Dangote Cannot Do Without by unbrandedspace(m): 12:54pm On Nov 03, 2015
Congrats bro. I was 30 on d 1st
Re: 10 Men Aliko Dangote Cannot Do Without by tohbank(m): 1:39pm On Nov 03, 2015
Where is otedola?
Re: 10 Men Aliko Dangote Cannot Do Without by badesco(m): 2:14pm On Nov 03, 2015
All because they work for him, does not automatically translate that he must need them to survive. Kindly tell us your source of info.
Re: 10 Men Aliko Dangote Cannot Do Without by Nobody: 2:57pm On Nov 03, 2015
topsyking:
no ibo grin grin

WE aint NOOOO Slaves cool cool cool
Re: 10 Men Aliko Dangote Cannot Do Without by oz4real83(m): 4:01pm On Nov 03, 2015
Bluetooth2:

Sometimes I wish they can sell Nigeria to this guy so he can successfully run the country same way he runs his company.
I thank God for his life but he is one of the problems we have in Nigeria. He has several monopolistic licenses to import almost anything to Nigeria. If u as an individual have just one of those licenses u will be counted among the richest individuals. Nigeria produces almost nothing. If not that people have been clamouring for local production,Nigeria would have still be importing 100percent cement of which Dangote is a major benefactor! Importation kills local production. When u talk of importation u are talking of Dangote!
Re: 10 Men Aliko Dangote Cannot Do Without by Princehojay(m): 4:31pm On Nov 03, 2015
costandi:
We are bigger than that. Unlike you oduduas who derive pleasure in being servants.
Anummanu!!

Your father............... I mean your real father........... Omoburuku.............. Daniskah...

1 Like

Re: 10 Men Aliko Dangote Cannot Do Without by JaaizTech: 4:57pm On Nov 03, 2015
oz4real83:
I thank God for his life but he is one of the problems we have in Nigeria. He has several monopolistic licenses to import almost anything to Nigeria. If u as an individual have just one of those licenses u will be counted among the richest individuals. Nigeria produces almost nothing. If not that people have been clamouring for local production,Nigeria would have still be importing 100percent cement of which Dangote is a major benefactor! Importation kills local production. When u talk of importation u are talking of Dangote!

I don't get it. I thought it was when u talk about Manufacturing, you talk of Dangote!. Now He is venturing into oil refining. Give it to the guy, He deserves the commendation.
Re: 10 Men Aliko Dangote Cannot Do Without by gnykelly(m): 5:45pm On Nov 03, 2015
dason4life:
Who says he can't do without them? They are on his pay-roll!
There are hundreds of greater managers waiting for an opportunity
as such and you will see greater results.

It Nigeria should lift the restriction on Importation (though to her detriment) or
fully support SMEs, I don't see any of these guys providing solution to the
depression that company will experience.

Meanwhile, I appreciate their managerial abilities in co-ordinating a company as
this.

if Nigeria lift ban in importation do you no how many jobs that will be lost with the importation of subsidies product
Re: 10 Men Aliko Dangote Cannot Do Without by Grahamjnr(m): 5:49pm On Nov 03, 2015
temitemi1:
What abt his wives cheesy grin
If I'm not mistaken, the topic says "10 Men..." so pardon him if a woman isn't included.
Re: 10 Men Aliko Dangote Cannot Do Without by Kestolovee95(f): 8:08pm On Nov 03, 2015
omonnakoda:

Eboes always full of EMPTY pride. Nothing wrong with being proud but when ,invariably, it is empty as is the case with most Eboes it is pathetic

you say 'empty'?. Ok i agree. What do you have that the Igbo do not have. Just mention one achiement that you've attained, that the Igbos have not surpassed.
Re: 10 Men Aliko Dangote Cannot Do Without by Nobody: 8:10pm On Nov 03, 2015
he needs intelligent men.
Re: 10 Men Aliko Dangote Cannot Do Without by omonnakoda: 8:13pm On Nov 03, 2015
Kestolovee95:

you say 'empty'?. Ok i agree. What do you have that the Igbo do not have. Just mention one achiement that you've attained, that the Igbos have not surpassed.

Nobel Prize? and I can spell "ACHIEVEMENT"
I expect the usual EMPTY Eboe rationalization of why you have not won a Nobel because you are not interested
Re: 10 Men Aliko Dangote Cannot Do Without by omonnakoda: 8:18pm On Nov 03, 2015
wiseoneking:
No wife for now. Divorced, methink. The man is truly not a happy man. Money is good with peace and fear of God through Jesus. Most wealthy guys pretends that all is well but within is hopelesness.
So wives make men happy
Re: 10 Men Aliko Dangote Cannot Do Without by abeniagbon(m): 8:31pm On Nov 03, 2015
buzquet:
He can't do without Tonyebarcanista his sales rep

Who's BARCANISTA when the real people are talking. This is not wailing business
Re: 10 Men Aliko Dangote Cannot Do Without by kunzaar83(m): 8:36pm On Nov 03, 2015
Bluetooth2:

you said exactly what is in my mind, why won't they give him license to build a refinary that @least can serve nigeria b4 we even talk about other. Countries the embarassment on petroleum is too much, if it can be produced in nigeria I blive even without subsity it will be less than N87 per litre may b 50 or less, coz out of the cost u have reduce the cost of freight, insurance and logistics, but I think all these big shots are stealing billions of $ in the name of subsidy, may God increase his wisdom
Re: 10 Men Aliko Dangote Cannot Do Without by kossyablaze(m): 9:04am On Nov 04, 2015
rhymaster:

Why na? They are coming to cry again and issue an ultimatum!!!! Ipob dumbass!!!
Na ur yoruba bro.Stop d hate

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 10 Men Aliko Dangote Cannot Do Without by adeoluakin: 1:25pm On Nov 04, 2015
*scratching head*

I blame myself, I don't know what I was expecting sef. These people work for him so it's kind of a given.
Re: 10 Men Aliko Dangote Cannot Do Without by ayodejiayeola(m): 9:53am On Aug 14, 2016
Aliko Dangote portrait painting

Re: 10 Men Aliko Dangote Cannot Do Without by oyatz(m): 5:40pm On Jan 24, 2017
Is Dangote supposed to chose his economic advisers and dependable leiftunants on federal character?
topsyking:
no ibo grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ibiza: Obi Cubana Shows The First Club He Built In 2006 (Photos, Video) / Who Are Those Behind Dangote Group ? (photos) / AFCON: Osondu Nwoye Dies Of Heart Attack In Ivory Coast

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.