Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,513 members, 7,812,599 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:54 PM

Morning People, Night People - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Morning People, Night People (589 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Morning People, Night People by jkingx(m): 6:33am On Nov 05, 2015
http://bluestocker.com/morning-people-night-people/

If I have my way, I wouldn’t get out of bed before 10am! I rarely have my way on this except for an occasional weekend or public holiday. As a little boy, my most persistent grouse with my dad was about my not getting out of bed if I could help it. Decades later as a father myself, waking up in the morning is still my most difficult task of the day! My happiest and most productive hours are late in the night with my average bed time usually between 2am and 3am!
Anyone like me out there? I’ll bet my dinner there are lots of us. Are you a morning person, also referred to as, early riser and lark or are you a night person, aka, night owl and night crawler? There is a good chance you already know or have a fair idea.
Broadly speaking, morning people are those who wake up early, kick-start the day early and hit the sack early at night. Night people hate the alarm clock in the morning! Why for goodness sake will office hours start 8am or 9am? But they stay up either working or playing late into the night or till the wee hours of the morning! Of course, there are two additional group that don’t somehow fit either very well; Those who rise early and stay up late and those who rise up late and retire early!
None may be better than the other as the two chronotypes have there pros and cons. Here are some interesting findings about morning people and night people.

1. MORNING PEOPLE ARE MORE TEAM PLAYERS AND PROACTIVE.
Studies have shown that morning people are more proactive. They are the ones who will get to work early and pick up the unfinished tasks of yesterday. They are generally more of team players and agreeable than night owls.
2. MORNING PEOPLE PROCRASTINATE LESS THAT NIGHT OWLS.
This is not much surprising considering the fact that morning people start their days earlier, they seem to get more done and less tendencies to procrastinate. They are also more of conformist that night people. Night owls will struggle with work in the morning and if they could, will keep pushing some task forward.
3. EARLY TO BED NOT HEALTHIER, WEALTHIER OR WISER
Remember that nursery rhyme? It was advocate by Benjamin franklin and it seem to make sense but it also seemed to have gotten some scientist angry (perhaps they were night owls) and in 1998 concluded a research which shows that Night owls actually, generally fare better financially.
4. NIGHT CRAWLERS ARE GENERALLY SMARTER
Remember those students back in school who will hang out almost every night and party whenever the opportunity is there and who never have ‘carry-overs’? From the school environment to the work place, plenty of studies have shown that night people on the whole, are generally smarter than morning people.
A lark v. owl study published some years ago looked more closely at the question of brains. Psychologist Richard D. Roberts of the University of Sydney and Patrick C. Kyllonen of the Air Force Research Lab, measured the chronotype of 420 test participants then gave them two intelligence tests. Together the tasks measured vocational knowledge (e.g. mechanics and engineering), general math and reading comprehension, and working memory and processing speed.
The results, though not overwhelming, did come down slightly on the side of evening types. Night owls outperformed morning larks on most of the intelligence measures—with significant differences on working memory and processing speed. Especially interesting was that the finding seemed to hold up even when the cognitive tests were taken in the morning.
“The results indicate that, contrary to conventional folk wisdom, evening-types are more likely to have higher intelligence scores,” Roberts and Kyllonen reported in a 1999 issue of Personality and Individual Differences. Wise old owl, indeed.
5. NIGHT PEOPLE ARE MORE OF PLAYERS
Surprised? I didn’t invent the idea. For some reason, night people seem to be more playboys and female seem to have more romantic partners. Don’t get it wrong, the researches were not about clubbers but night owls generally. Night people are also more of the infidelity type than larks.
6. NIGHT OWLS SEEM TO USE SUBSTANCE MORE
Night owls generally use more alcohol, coffee, cigarettes or other substance than morning people. What is not clear to researchers is whether evening people are more inclined to partake because they’re already out late, or whether the addictive behaviors—at least in the case of a stimulant like cigarettes, coffee or alcohol—keep them up longer in the first place.
7. MORNING PEOPLE ARE GENERALLY HAPPIER
Conventional daytime expectations and nighttime preference might make life harder for owls in general. Social scientists call this outcome “social jet lag”: evening types that force themselves to wake up early and perform at their peak during the day might cause themselves some sleep loss and emotional distress. They might also be less happy as a result. Researchers found that morning people had higher positive affect across the board, compared with night people.
8. NIGHT PEOPLE ARE MORE PRONE TO STRESS RELATED HEALTH ISSUES
I guess it won’t be too hard to figure out why.

http://bluestocker.com/morning-people-night-people/
Re: Morning People, Night People by Nobody: 6:52am On Nov 05, 2015
Interesting.............. Seems i switch between the 2, but a little more of the latter, due to recent situations of things.

(1) (Reply)

Pls Call Fire Service....buidling On Fire / Engineer Died A Day To His Birthday And Was Buried On His Birthday- RIP ONYEKA / If You Have A Busy Fb Account You Must Get Use To These 4 Types Of Persons.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.