Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,766 members, 7,820,676 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:17 PM

The Fine Given To MTN Is Unfair - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / The Fine Given To MTN Is Unfair (2039 Views)

I Don't Think MTN Should Pay The Fine / We Nigerians Are Unfair To MTN / Mtn To Mtn Free Call And Data. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Fine Given To MTN Is Unfair by Nobody: 9:52am On Nov 05, 2015
Just my opinion.

I feel very sad about the issue, and more sad is the way people are talking. I read through the comments of the south african law maker worries and its just sad.

Yes I support Mtn being fined if the broke the law but the fine is too much! It no longer a thing of they broke the law, its now a thing of because it is a south african company, and I see people saying Dstv is next. My question is, would giving them heavy fines make them a better company than they are now? Or would it make them provide better service? Let's be reasonable.
If it was Glo it happened too, would you put all the so much effort you are putting now to make sure they pay? No. because its a nigerian company.
and someone said "south african the home of xenophobia" well, xenophobia means the fear of foreigners. If you ask me, this is the same reason we want mtn to pay these fines! The same reason we want dstv to leave. Xenophobia is the f'in reason for "ghana must go" xenophobia started the civil(biafra) war cos of the fear of igbos in the north who were murdered before igbos decided to cut out of the country, then the war began! So my friend we are not "holy" we need to stop all these! If we claim these south african companies don't offer good services, we should make them to do so not ask them to pay fines. Why did NCC , not say MTN should offer free calls to Nigerians for a day instead? Too me it sounds like "eh en this foreign people don enter our trap today, we go show them pepper" and this is called "wickedness". then excuses everywhere of why they must pay the fine on one of those many excuses is they make so much money of nigerians, I don't get, is the services they offer suppose to be free? You claim they make so much off nigerians? Well the last time I check they have the cheapest calls! And you guys don't consider how much they spend in running a network in a country like Nigeria where there is no light! So every single mast (which there are thousands in this country as they cover the widest range) is powered by diesel generator 24/7. Now take a second and calculate how much they spend.

If they did not care about their customers, it would not be a big deal to cut them off. Etisalat rates are not cheaper, airtel network service is poor, Glo is not better than MTN in anyway! They do not deserve to be treated the way they are. It is unfair!

If they must be fined, the fine is too much! NCC should reduce it and stop treating them that way simply because its a south african company because it is not because they broke the rule at all.

One more thing, if they pay the money, where does it go too? Into NCC leaders pocket?

Just my opinion.
Re: The Fine Given To MTN Is Unfair by agohmamuda(m): 10:16am On Nov 05, 2015
Op I think it should be "Given". God bless you as you think about it.

1 Like

Re: The Fine Given To MTN Is Unfair by Babalegba(m): 10:31am On Nov 05, 2015
There should be ceiling on fines. Ncc is plainly shaking down mtn and robbing them.
Re: The Fine Given To MTN Is Unfair by Nobody: 10:34am On Nov 05, 2015
agohmamuda:
Op I think it should be "Given". God bless you as you think about it.
Thanks
Re: The Fine Given To MTN Is Unfair by Nobody: 10:35am On Nov 05, 2015
Babalegba:
There should be ceiling on fines. Ncc is plainly shaking down mtn and robbing them.
YES!!! I mean that's what they are doing, robbing MTN.
Re: The Fine Given To MTN Is Unfair by feldido(m): 11:00am On Nov 05, 2015
Do you know MTN also signed and agreed to the fine of 200k on violation of allowing each unregistered SIM on their network?
Do you know the security implications of MTN 's deliberate act of keeping those lines?
Do you know MTN can be charged for Terrorism?

Think well before Talking.

9 Likes

Re: The Fine Given To MTN Is Unfair by possibilita(m): 11:02am On Nov 05, 2015
Well that was what I tot until I transfered 1000 from my mtn card to another and mtn took it till now dey refuse to pic my call,reply my facebook,twitter or complaint mail.

1 Like

Re: The Fine Given To MTN Is Unfair by basille(m): 11:15am On Nov 05, 2015
Incoherent write up. I can't understand what this dude's point is.

3 Likes

Re: The Fine Given To MTN Is Unfair by Misterlaby: 11:24am On Nov 05, 2015
Hmmm like for real shocked
Re: The Fine Given To MTN Is Unfair by 4llerbuntu(m): 11:57am On Nov 05, 2015
eeyah. another fellow suffering from Stockholm Syndrome.

or maybe just plain ignorance.

what you can do though is start a fundraising campaign to help MTN pay the fine. that way people who share your view can donate say 1k each for MTN since u care about them so much.

only in Nigeria do you hear people express these type of views. not surprised sha. na this same country people dey carry placard to 'live' thieves who stole trillions of naira.

I don't blame u sha. you cannot comprehend why the law should not be broken since you do it all the time and think its normal

3 Likes

Re: The Fine Given To MTN Is Unfair by Nobody: 2:20pm On Nov 05, 2015
feldido:
Do you know MTN also signed and agreed to the fine of 200k on violation of allowing each unregistered SIM on their network?
Do you know the security implications of MTN 's deliberate act of keeping those lines?

1. It does not change anything.
2. Did I say MTN should not be punished?
3. Oga please explain.

1 Like

Re: The Fine Given To MTN Is Unfair by Nobody: 2:21pm On Nov 05, 2015
basille:
That's a fault on your side.
Re: The Fine Given To MTN Is Unfair by Nobody: 2:28pm On Nov 05, 2015
4llerbuntu:
eeyah. another fellow suffering from Stockholm Syndrome.

or maybe just plain ignorance.

what you can do though is start a fundraising campaign to help MTN pay the fine. that way people who share your view can donate say 1k each for MTN since u care about them so much.

only in Nigeria do you hear people express these type of views. not surprised sha. na this same country people dey carry placard to 'live' thieves who stole trillions of naira.

I don't blame u sha. you cannot comprehend why the law should not be broken since you do it all the time and think its normal
I also don't blame you, its because MTN is not related to you or your family member in anyway that's why it does not concern you, you're the type that would see someone dying on the street and walk by. This is pure wickedness and I do not expect majority to share my views, you know why?, because majority of humans ARE INDEED WICKED.

What is ignorance in this issue now? How do you know MTN are thieves? Show me what they stole with evidence.

Did I say MTN should not be fined, I said NCC is taking advantage of their sins to steal from them. Or just strip them off simply because its an international company.
Re: The Fine Given To MTN Is Unfair by Naijji: 3:51pm On Nov 05, 2015
I don't think any reasonable court will uphold that fine. How can you fine a company MORE THAN its annual revenue (not profit oh, entire revenue)? That's unheard of. Companies abroad are threatened that they might be fined up to 20% of their revenue if they do something really bad, but it rarely happens.

Also, most times companies are heavily fined for hurting their customers (and part of the fine is usually paid to the customers). This time, mtn was fined for not disconnecting some of us. And yet we're happy?

If the govt is seeking for ways to raise funds, let us be informed. A single company is fined an amount that is greater than Nigeria's annual capital expenditure!

I don't think anyone is saying mtn shouldn't be fined, but any fine must be proportionate to a host of factors. This is like expecting someone to pay a fine of N500k for urinating (like it's threatened in many places).
Re: The Fine Given To MTN Is Unfair by Nobody: 4:40pm On Nov 05, 2015
poverty wicked oh! because of poverty and joblessness some people go carry matter wa no concern them de discuss!
Mtn tell you make you help them pay why you de complain na?
Because you hear d money e big for your ears like whale! guy chill na change for them oh! them no wan just release am once!

2 Likes

Re: The Fine Given To MTN Is Unfair by Nobody: 5:45pm On Nov 05, 2015
Naijji:
I don't think any reasonable court will uphold that fine. How can you fine a company MORE THAN its annual revenue (not profit oh, entire revenue)? That's unheard of. Companies abroad are threatened that they might be fined up to 20% of their revenue if they do something really bad, but it rarely happens.

Also, most times companies are heavily fined for hurting their customers (and part of the fine is usually paid to the customers). This time, mtn was fined for not disconnecting some of us. And yet we're happy?

If the govt is seeking for ways to raise funds, let us be informed. A single company is fined an amount that is greater than Nigeria's annual capital expenditure!

I don't think anyone is saying mtn shouldn't be fined, but any fine must be proportionate to a host of factors. This is like expecting someone to pay a fine of N500k for urinating (like it's threatened in many places).
Thank you! This is what I'm saying

Cc. Lalsticlala please move to fp.
Re: The Fine Given To MTN Is Unfair by Nobody: 5:47pm On Nov 05, 2015
DBos:
poverty wicked oh! because of poverty and joblessness some people go carry matter wa no concern them de discuss!
Mtn tell you make you help them pay why you de complain na?
Because you hear d money e big for your ears like whale! guy chill na change for them oh! them no wan just release am once!
So you now work at MTN head departments, how do you know its change for them ehn!

That money can startup another network company in lagos.
Re: The Fine Given To MTN Is Unfair by Segadem(m): 6:11pm On Nov 05, 2015
basille:
... then u need english teacher.
Re: The Fine Given To MTN Is Unfair by Nobody: 6:39pm On Nov 05, 2015
runzlord:
Just my opinion.

I feel very sad about the issue, and more sad is the way people are talking. I read through the comments of the south african law maker worries and its just sad.

Yes I support Mtn being fined if the broke the law but the fine is too much! It no longer a thing of they broke the law, its now a thing of because it is a south african company, and I see people saying Dstv is next. My question is, would giving them heavy fines make them a better company than they are now? the true of the matter is that MTN benefited from the shit they found themselves
Or would it make them provide better service? Let's be reasonable.
If it was Glo it happened too, would you put all the so much effort you are putting now to make sure they pay?
NCC has laws that they follow of which the largest operator pays more fine than the least. the question is how come other foreign operators compiled and MTN did not? forget that excuse MTN came up with because they were fully aware of the penalty
No. because its a nigerian company
which country in the world would not support theirs? do you what MTN did not to alllow glo to come on board?.
and someone said "south african the home of xenophobia" well, xenophobia means the fear of foreigners. If you ask me, this is the same reason we want mtn to pay these fines! The same reason we want dstv to leave. Xenophobia is the f'in reason for "ghana must go" xenophobia started the civil(biafra) war cos of the fear of igbos in the north who were murdered before igbos decided to cut out of the country, then the war began! So my friend we are not "holy" we need to stop all these! If we claim these south african companies don't offer good services, we should make them to do so not ask them to pay fines. Why did NCC , not say MTN should offer free calls to Nigerians for a day instead? Too me it sounds like "eh en this foreign people don enter our trap today, we go show them pepper" and this is called "wickedness". then excuses everywhere of why they must pay the fine on one of those many excuses is they make so much money of nigerians, I don't get, is the services they offer suppose to be free? You claim they make so much off nigerians? Well the last time I check they have the cheapest calls! And you guys don't consider how much they spend in running a network in a country like Nigeria where there is no light! So every single mast (which there are thousands in this country as they cover the widest range) is powered by diesel generator 24/7. Now take a second and calculate how much they spend.
they are not the only foreign company using diesel generator in Nigeria? if they are not making profit, they would have left Nigeria long ago
javascript:void(0);
If they did not care about their customers, it would not be a big deal to cut them off. Etisalat rates are not cheaper, that is not true. as a matter of fact MTN still sell 2g for N2,000 while the others sell their for N1000, etisalat easy life 4.0 is at 11k/sec. airtel network service is poor, Glo is not better than MTN in anyway neither is MTN better. we still experience the same poor service delivery from all the gsm networks depending on the location! They do not deserve to be treated the way they are. It is unfair! they deserve it for aiding terrorism and kidnapping in Nigeria by not registering the customers

If they must be fined, the fine is too much! NCC should reduce it and stop treating them that way simply because its a south african company because it is not because they broke the rule at all.

One more thing, if they pay the money, where does it go too? Into NCC leaders pocket?

Just my opinion.
Re: The Fine Given To MTN Is Unfair by Nobody: 6:51pm On Nov 05, 2015
feldido:

Op isn't seeing it from that angle instead it is the heavy fine. MTN ought to have done something about it instead they kept quiet. They ways of luring your customers to register their sim. Not all of them them would but a significiant percentage will. Am sure if NCC disconnect those lines, MTN market share would fall drastically and probably they might be number two in Nigeria.
Re: The Fine Given To MTN Is Unfair by Nobody: 6:54pm On Nov 05, 2015
runzlord:
1. It does not change anything. 2. Did I say MTN should not be punished? 3. Oga please explain.
Part of the law stated that they pay the fine of N1tri.
Re: The Fine Given To MTN Is Unfair by angiography(m): 7:01pm On Nov 05, 2015
[quote author=asuustrike2009 post=39716678][/quote]
I agree with you brov...hell, #200k fine on any sim card not registered??...that's way too heavy. Needless to say, m sure most of this fine will be embezzled

1 Like

Re: The Fine Given To MTN Is Unfair by Nobody: 7:04pm On Nov 05, 2015
runzlord:

I also don't blame you, its because MTN is not related to you or your family member in anyway that's why it does not concern you, you're the type that would see someone dying on the street and walk by. This is pure wickedness and I do not expect majority to share my views, you know why?, because majority of humans ARE INDEED WICKED.

What is ignorance in this issue now? How do you know MTN are thieves? Show me what they stole with evidence.

Did I say MTN should not be fined, I said NCC is taking advantage of their sins to steal from them. Or just strip them off simply because its an international company.
MTN fell into the trap they set for them if at all NCC did. My question is, is MTN the only foreign GSM in Nigeria? Didn't airtel and etisalat comply? Do you think NCC wasn't aware of their financial strengh before sending such circulars? . Stop defending them because they broke the law and can't get away this time. Don't they have laws in RSA their home based? MTN is number 2 in RSA after Vodafone. Apart of the circular states the penalty of which NCC is enforcing now

3 Likes

Re: The Fine Given To MTN Is Unfair by Nobody: 7:07pm On Nov 05, 2015
angiography:

I agree with you brov...hell, #200k fine on any sim card not registered??...that's way too heavy. Needless to say, m sure most of this fine will be embezzled
That is left for our president to probe and MTN's business

1 Like

Re: The Fine Given To MTN Is Unfair by Nobody: 7:13pm On Nov 05, 2015
runzlord:

Thank you! This is what I'm saying

Cc. Lalsticlala please move to fp.
MTN non dey hear ward. NCC don warn dem taya but dem just believe say na normal tin.
Anyway NCC will reduce the fine shal becos all dos talk na initial gra gra
Re: The Fine Given To MTN Is Unfair by Nobody: 7:51pm On Nov 05, 2015
Some people would just come on board and type nonsense without thinking. The fine on MTN is pretty simple. They signed it alongside other service providers that each sim would 200k should incase the rule is bent.

MTN didn't only bent it but also did it to 5 million sims. Now do the maths , 200,000 x 5 million = the fine. NCC didn't just script up a figure for them

This is country where
Terrorism is on the rise
Kidnapping is on the rise
And so many bad things which bad guys use these sims for yet some are pitying them.

The company that doesn't even pity you.
Rules are rules

Would they have done this in SA? U shld answer that with all honesty .

It's no more business as usual

THERE IS A NEW SHERIFF IN TOWN!!

4 Likes

Re: The Fine Given To MTN Is Unfair by Nobody: 8:19pm On Nov 05, 2015
asuustrike2009:

MTN fell into the trap they set for them if at all NCC did. My question is, is MTN the only foreign GSM in Nigeria? Didn't airtel and etisalat comply? Do you think NCC wasn't aware of their financial strengh before sending such circulars? . Stop defending them because they broke the law and can't get away this time. Don't they have laws in RSA their home based? MTN is number 2 in RSA after Vodafone. Apart of the circular states the penalty of which NCC is enforcing now
I know they broke the law and should be punished but the fine is outrageous! Is now legally stealing from MTN! Which kind financial strength, e be like say you no know watin be 1.3 trillion.
Re: The Fine Given To MTN Is Unfair by Nobody: 8:20pm On Nov 05, 2015
asuustrike2009:
Which law? Which constitution is it stated?
Re: The Fine Given To MTN Is Unfair by Nobody: 8:21pm On Nov 05, 2015
asuustrike2009:
Re: The Fine Given To MTN Is Unfair by Nobody: 8:23pm On Nov 05, 2015
runzlord:

NCC as a regulatory commission stated so. Visit their website for info about the penalties and fines

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Mtn Sme Data Is Now Cheaper!! / Nokia 2 X Tecno Spark X Infinix Hot 4lite / What Best Android Phone To Buy For N40k Right Now

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.