Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,895 members, 7,810,439 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:05 AM

The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians (781 Views)

Any Married Lady Who Never Had This Is As Good As unmarried. / The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians / 8 words of advice for the Unmarried Single Mothers. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by olamisowon1(f): 9:58am On Nov 05, 2015
Let me first declare that this post was inspired by a Facebook post a friend sent to me. She narrated that she heard a pastor telling the married women in his congregation not to be friends with single women...the reason for his advice is that he believes they will be misled by their unmarried/single friends. Such ignorance from a Nigerian pastor.

Well I am not ready to join issue with this pastor, but I will like to use this opportunity to join issue with Nigerian society as a whole. Personally, I have always believed that Nigerians have a very misguided, perverted and warped idea of a relationship or marriage.
I said so because I am talking from experience. An average Nigerian believes that once a man or woman is working, the next thing is for him or her to get married. Everywhere you go, you are bombarded with the questions of "when are you getting married?", "do you know time is going?", "what are you waiting for?", etc. In fact, the pressure is so much that if you are not a strong person, you will start thinking that you have a problem.

Now let everyone listen to me, if you are married, congratulations and I wish you well. But it is an invasion of privacy to be asking people when they are getting married.And it is wrong of you to disrespect people because they are not married. Some people even think single or unmarried people are irresponsible or loose. If you are a man, some people will also insinuate that may be you are impotent or gay grin‬.

I have seen situations where some married people believe you should accord them special respect because they are married and you are not. Let me continue by saying that I am not married and I don't need anybody's advice on why I am not yet married. I personally will not tolerate disrespect from anyone because I am not married. Neither will I accord anyone special respect because he or she is married. I will only respect you if you deserve my respect.

Finally, let it be clear that single or unmarried status is not a disease that needs to be cured. And to all the single and unmarried people out there, your destiny is in your own hands. Whether you allow the society to make you feel inadequate or not, depends on you. Always remember that there is nothing wrong with you. Also, know that everybody cannot get married at the same time. In fact, I don't have problem with anyone who doesn't want to get married at all and i believe marriage isn't for everyone. Nigerians should stop being so shallow minded and judgmental.

Thank you.
Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by Feranchek(m): 10:13am On Nov 05, 2015
You're welcome
Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by just2okworld(f): 1:28pm On Dec 18, 2015
This is deep!!!

(1) (Reply)

Ever Wondered Why Pregnant Women Butt Look Bigger And Disappear After Birth. / Photos: Unmarried Man And Woman Living Together For 45 Years Finally Wed Today / Have You Seen This Girl?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.