Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,295 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:24 AM

How Airtel Defrauded My Elderly Mom - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / How Airtel Defrauded My Elderly Mom (489 Views)

Money Medicine Scammers Who Defrauded Man Of N31million / Female Banker Defrauded One Of Her Customers N90 Million, / How Airtel Defrauded My Elderly Mom (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Airtel Defrauded My Elderly Mom by Nobody: 11:04am On Nov 06, 2015
Since my mother retired 15 years ago , she's been living in our family house with live-in domestic helps. She exchange visits regularly and call her on daily basis. Due to network problems with MTN network sometimes, l bought and registered an Airtel sim for her and we never had communication issue as one provider will always be available at any point in time.

On one of her visits, she had more than 150 unread messages on her Airtel phone. On opening them, Airtel has subscribed her to all manner of promo, callertunes , etc. They will first send a message of forcefully subscribing her to a free offer which will get automatically charged if you don't unsubscribe manually. They make an average of N500 to N1000 monthly on this illegal subscription on her phone. She never lacks airtime since we always load her phones regularly. It was a perfect niche for Airtel. I meticulous unsubscribed her to all the services, finished remaining airtime and got her a Glo sim instead as backup .

I don't know how many Nigerians are defrauded this way. MTN was given a heavy fine recently (though fo a different reason) which is a welcome development. Activities of Airtel should be investigated by government and NCC. There are evidence on all our phones! This exploitation of weak Nigerians should stop! Forcefully subscribing users should stop. Flash messages by MTN that subscribe users on clicking OK should stop. These are all exploitation.

Re: How Airtel Defrauded My Elderly Mom by airsaylongcon: 11:04am On Nov 06, 2015
grin
Re: How Airtel Defrauded My Elderly Mom by yomi007k(m): 11:28am On Nov 06, 2015
Simply make a list of everything they registered her for.

Call customer care n start deactivating one by one.
Re: How Airtel Defrauded My Elderly Mom by rottennaija(m): 11:47am On Nov 06, 2015
excel234:
Since my mother retired 15 years ago , she's been living in our family house with live-in domestic helps. She exchange visits regularly and call her on daily basis. Due to network problems with MTN network sometimes, l bought and registered an Airtel sim for her and we never had communication issue as one provider will always be available at any point in time.

On one of her visits, she had more than 150 unread messages on her Airtel phone. On opening them, Airtel has subscribed her to all manner of promo, callertunes , etc. They will first send a message of forcefully subscribing her to a free offer which will get automatically charged if you don't unsubscribe manually. They make an average of N500 to N1000 monthly on this illegal subscription on her phone. She never lacks airtime since we always load her phones regularly. It was a perfect niche for Airtel. I meticulous unsubscribed her to all the services, finished remaining airtime and got her a Glo sim instead as backup .

I don't know how many Nigerians are defrauded this way. MTN was given a heavy fine recently (though fo a different reason) which is a welcome development. Activities of Airtel should be investigated by government and NCC. There are evidence on all our phones! This exploitation of weak Nigerians should stop! Forcefully subscribing users should stop. Flash messages by MTN that subscribe users on clicking OK should stop. These are all exploitation.

They should be a way of reporting this to NCC. this nonsense is just too much. Of late, you will be hearing people complaining of airtel overcharging them of their data plan.

I have experience this myself, If you subscribe to airtel 1G data plan , before you use up to 400mb, your 1G the will be exhausted with them sending you a message to re-subscribe. But when you check the data used by your device, it wouldn't add up.

That was why I stopped subscribing airtel data plan. I now use mtn and if they give me 4.5G a month, by the time the data is exhausted, it will be close to the 4.5G or about 4.48G.

(1) (Reply)

Three Policemen Arrested For Collecting Dead Officers’ Claims / Reducing Crime Using Human Psychology / Security Alert...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.