Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,571 members, 7,958,765 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 11:05 PM

The Place Of Communal Fruits And Meat In The Etche Culture Of Rivers State. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Place Of Communal Fruits And Meat In The Etche Culture Of Rivers State. (1333 Views)

Top 5 Places That Tell The History And Reveal The Culture Of The Igbo. / Igbo Groups Of The South South ............the Etche People / The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Place Of Communal Fruits And Meat In The Etche Culture Of Rivers State. by joshuasamuel: 11:11am On Nov 06, 2015
The place of Communal fruits and animals ( meat)in our culture.

Contrary to the assertions of the Europeans, the African society was organised, systematic and guided by laws, rules and regulations, even though unwritten, they were known in the heart and strictly sanctioned when breached. Etche is one of the ethnic nationalities in Rivers State, South South Nigeria. It has two LGA's, Etche and Omuma LGA's. It is rich in black gold deposits and has lots of fertile farm, the Etches are mostly regarded as the food basket of Rivers State because of her huge agricultural and food donation to the State and closeby neighbours.

Though a village is made of various " onama" ( clans) they were united, cared for each other and encouraged the communal spirit. One of the facet of the communal spirit that I met is the rule guiding the " udara tree" ( the African Star Apple).

The Udara originally is regarded as a communal fruit ( most especially the ones grown in the farms). In Omuma, the tree is mostly grown at uzo mri or Uzo Oru ( the stream road or the central farm road) Some are evidence of residency at "Obi ochie" ( the former settlement abode of the villagers fore fathers).

By this culture, no matter the family or individual that the udara tree is located on their farm land, the tree dosnt belong to him or them. It belongs to the entire village. No one is expected to climb the tree or use " nkwa" ( sticks) to pluck the fruits. If you do and it is reported to the amala, otu ewu for you. ( you ll be fined ,mostly to pay a goat).
Because of this rule, the Udara tree which is usually ripe and ready for consumption from November stays all through the festive season for even the villagers and their children who resides in cities but visited home for the yuletide.

Then as a kid, it was fun, waking up early morning by 3, 4 or 5 AM to " hiele" ( scouth) for udara. Ofcourse, you would have to go that early to be the first person to arrive, so that you could pick several fruits. My cousins would knock on my window and I would then stealthily sneak out to avoid my parents being aware. You know they would not approve going that early. On our way to the fruit tree, which is located at uzo mri, you would hear my cousins exclaiming, " nu la o, nde nwe udara aputlabla o" ( spirits Leave the tree because humans are coming) directed at spirits. I would join, even without then realising the essence of the seemingly unnecessary screaming at the foot of bushes. There are many myths that spirits visits the udara tree to pick fruits in the nights as humans do in the day.

As said earlier, it is against the culture to climb or stone the tree to get fruits, what one does, if he visits during the day and is desparetely in need of a fruit to consume, he cuts an " Opete" ( Coudnt get the English name for now, help me out if you know) stem and uses it to flog the udara tree while singing or enchanting a song. Isn't it funny? But it works, you send the udara message to your ummune( your mother's village) lucky for you, if your ummune is closeby, because the distance would affect when an udara fruit would fall for you.
I can't remember all the rhymes of the song but it sounds like this

" udara please go to my maternal home, when you go, greet my grand mum n dad, please tell tell them m in need of fruits to eat, if they give you kola, don't take, if they give you food, please don't eat, if they offer you a seat, don't sit, just run in haste and come back" ( the songs varies)

You ll be wiping the tree with your Opete stem while enchanting and before you are done, an udara or more than one falls for you, depending on the distance of your maternal home. The fruits that falls when you are on this are exclusively yours, children at the tree take turns to do this.
Another aspect of the communal culture is seen when once traps catches big animals like " Eke", Ele" ( Python, Antelope) etc, you do not consume it alone, you must share with your onama, there is a portion for the eldest man in the Onama. Etc.
These communal cultures are completely dead or near dead, the udara tree for its commercial value are now being owned and expropriated by individuals. Hunting is no longer a profession in Omuma. Every one needs white collar jobs. Even for the few who set traps for luxury, most consume their catch alone with their families.

What do you know about your communal cultures? Do you share or have a similar cultures like that of ours? Can you sing and write those songs in your dialect? Do you think society was better of with these cultures? Let's share our experience.

Re: The Place Of Communal Fruits And Meat In The Etche Culture Of Rivers State. by airsaylongcon: 11:13am On Nov 06, 2015
Never got to enjoy these fruit despite serving one year in Ndashi
Re: The Place Of Communal Fruits And Meat In The Etche Culture Of Rivers State. by joshuasamuel: 11:52am On Nov 06, 2015
@ airsolong. You did not eat the fruits or you ate them but did not enjoy them? Good to know, you had your Service at Ndashi, hope the people treated you well?

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Village Where Men And Women Speak Different Languages / Albinos. The Myth / Lagos,oshodi Tapa And Inverted Slaves: Response To Oshodi Tapa Family

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.