Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,131 members, 7,811,194 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 06:02 AM

Old Maps Show Biafra Was Actually In Cameroon And Never Part Of Nigeria. - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Old Maps Show Biafra Was Actually In Cameroon And Never Part Of Nigeria. (6256 Views)

Woman Filmed Having Sex On A Grave Was Actually Cheating On Her Partner / Did You Know That GOSSIP Was Actually GO N SIP? Must Read. / When The Driver Is Following Google Maps (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Old Maps Show Biafra Was Actually In Cameroon And Never Part Of Nigeria. by CARLOSZ: 4:57pm On Nov 06, 2015

While it is common to hear an argument postulated by adherents of a recent pro-Biafra agitation resurgence among young listeners of a pirate radio station operating out of the United Kingdom, Radio Biafra, that “Biafra” was the initial name of the territory to which the South of Nigeria belonged, our checks have failed to substantiate this claim.

The idea has been pushed by the Radio station run by a rather radical individual, Nwannekaenyi Kenny Okwu-Kanu, who goes by the alias, Nnamdi Kanu.

Apparently the name “Biafra” or “Biafara” was picked again because the former Premiere of Nigeria’s then Eastern region, Odumegwu Ojukwu had chosen the “Biafra” name for the territory he wished to preside over; however there is no evidence that Ojukwu selected that name because he believed it was the name of his ancestral home.
Rather it was the name of much of Cameroon, Equatorial Guinea and São Tomé and Príncipe and perhaps a nice name that tickled Ojukwu’s fancy.

Or perhaps Ojukwu was suggesting an ancestral origin outside Nigeria in the Equatorial Guinea, Cameroon region.

The maps can be seen on the Princeton University website and enlarged to examine. We have brought out the relative parts below.

In the image above, River Camarones can be noticed at the left border of “Biafra.” This river, now called Wouri river is in the middle of today’s Cameroon.

The Region Is Benin And Not Biafra

Calabar, Nigeria’s Eastern border is seen well within territory called Benin; Benin, a large demarcated kingdom that extends deep into today’s Cameroon, before the region known as Biafra starts.

Based on these findings, “Benin” would serve as a more accurate historical fact based sobriquet for the southern parts of Nigeria in discussion.

Another map from 1644 also puts “Biafara” solidly in Cameroon, Equatorial Guinea and São Tomé and Príncipe and far from Nigeria’s furthest Eastern border.

Apparently the prior name of the territory now called Biafra by this group was recognized and mapped as “Benin,” and never Biafra in all historic maps.

[size=13pt]Origins Of The Name “Biafra”[/size]

According to Encyclopaedia britannica: a dictionary of arts, sciences …, Volume 11-12, year 1910 , the name “Biafra” from “Bight of Biafra, comes from the word, “Mafra,” a town in Portugal.

Mafra, Portugal

The Portuguese named a country extending from Cameroon southward to Equatorial Guinea, “Biafra,” but the name was later dropped in the later part of the 19th century.

The Bight of Biafra, or Mafra (named after the town Mafra in southern Portugal), between Capes Formosa and Lopez, is the most eastern part of the Gulf of Guinea; it contains the islands Fernando Po [Equitorial Guinea], Prince’s and St Thomas’s [São Tomé and Príncipe]. The name Biafra-as indicating the country-fell into disuse in the later part of the 19th century.

[img]http://4.bp..com/-ZjS-GrRV5xQ/URKerp0sV0I/AAAAAAAAMjM/TdmtStEUuZk/s640/girlsatparade.jpg[/img]
Equatorial Guinea people, of actual “Biafra” territory

[img]http://4.bp..com/-vnBNdVktDJA/UROcTVViUQI/AAAAAAAAMlw/yIUsvyV-PhE/s1600/RoiBioko+.jpg[/img]
Equatorial Guinea Warrior; of actual “Biafra” territory

http://newsrescue.com/old-maps-show-biafra-was-actually-in-cameroon-and-never-part-of-nigeria/

Cc Lalasticlala
Re: Old Maps Show Biafra Was Actually In Cameroon And Never Part Of Nigeria. by Nobody: 5:04pm On Nov 06, 2015
I don't intent to sound disrespectful but I will call a spade a spade...The truth is most reasonable igbo people r not in support of secession. Only d greedy n power-hungry ones are...They say they want freedom, freedom from what or from who? You wanna produce a president n yet ur mentality is dat of an enslaved people..Any Nigerian can be president if he or she knows how to play politics right..Today u say d north n west have ganged up against u to remove ur brother out of Aso Rock, is Jonathan an Igbo man? Or better still, when d defunct CPC n ACN extended invitation to APGA ( the so called igbo party) why didn't they join to create d alliance known as APC today?..Igbo people r industrious n creative but they lack the basic knowledge of how politics is played...we all know that in 2019 Buhari by d grace of God will be APC's flagbearer again n anybody with common sense knows that PDP will not field an Igbo person as her candidate..Why won't APGA and PDP form an alliance just like CPC n ACN did so they can be a strong opposition for APC n maybe produce a President or VP of igbo extraction in d near future?..lemme give u a clear example of what I mean; during d last elections, APGA supported PDP in d presidential elections but do u know that the same APGA did not win a single Senatorial Seat in d South East?..in other words, they were used n dumped by d PDP..Ngige as an APC chieftain is supposed to be the Senate President if he had won but he lost n his only crime was being an APC member (the so called hausa n yoruba party).. If Biafra is given to them, I bet u that they will beg to come back to Nigeria in less than a year because Anambra, Imo, Ebonyi, Enugu, n Abia will all want to produce the first Biafra president. And since that can't be possible, they will share Biafra into five more countries. In 'Anambra Country', an Awka man will wanna be president, an Abagana man will also want to be so Anambra will be shared into God knows how many countries too...lol.....Abeg let's stay together jor..Igbo brother n sisters abeg learn the act of politics n master it the way u do ur businesses, then u will produce a president. No be magic or gang up na common political sense
God bless Igbo
God bless Hausa
God bless Yoruba
God Bless Minorities
God bless Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: Old Maps Show Biafra Was Actually In Cameroon And Never Part Of Nigeria. by CARLOSZ: 5:06pm On Nov 06, 2015
KingEli:
make I go enter cockpit.....I de cum.....lol

WTF? shocked
Re: Old Maps Show Biafra Was Actually In Cameroon And Never Part Of Nigeria. by Spactacle(m): 5:08pm On Nov 06, 2015
Interesting
Re: Old Maps Show Biafra Was Actually In Cameroon And Never Part Of Nigeria. by CARLOSZ: 5:10pm On Nov 06, 2015
Spactacle:
Interesting
Very
Re: Old Maps Show Biafra Was Actually In Cameroon And Never Part Of Nigeria. by Spactacle(m): 5:12pm On Nov 06, 2015
CARLOSZ:
Very

so what is your take on this bro?
Re: Old Maps Show Biafra Was Actually In Cameroon And Never Part Of Nigeria. by chrisifeanyi: 5:14pm On Nov 06, 2015
but why?
Re: Old Maps Show Biafra Was Actually In Cameroon And Never Part Of Nigeria. by Chanchit: 5:23pm On Nov 06, 2015
Op, I'm sorry to announce this, but the biafrans no dey now, they still dey protest and they might not see this cos many of them are now in prison.

1 Like

Re: Old Maps Show Biafra Was Actually In Cameroon And Never Part Of Nigeria. by Chanchit: 5:27pm On Nov 06, 2015
Biafra! Land of the rising Cameroun.
As this Biafrans are busy sharing lands up and down, trying to share ondo to Edo, dem no know say na cameroun dem come from sef, but wait o, this map na lie, Biafrans are from Israel, the missing tribe, the chosen generation, the Jews of Africa, its just a pity most of them don die for one silly protest today, while many more are in detention and their Oga still dey chop watery beans from the Zoo government prison. Adieu Biafra!

2 Likes

Re: Old Maps Show Biafra Was Actually In Cameroon And Never Part Of Nigeria. by Nobody: 5:27pm On Nov 06, 2015
CARLOSZ:

WTF? shocked
hahahahhahahhahahahahaha.....nigga relax....I don cum
Re: Old Maps Show Biafra Was Actually In Cameroon And Never Part Of Nigeria. by Nobody: 5:28pm On Nov 06, 2015
grin Lalasticlala.. Ah no talk am?
Re: Old Maps Show Biafra Was Actually In Cameroon And Never Part Of Nigeria. by Nobody: 5:29pm On Nov 06, 2015
KingEli:
make I go enter cockpit.....I de cum.....lol
u dey cum Hian!!!
Re: Old Maps Show Biafra Was Actually In Cameroon And Never Part Of Nigeria. by Nobody: 5:40pm On Nov 06, 2015
Op the name Biafra came from bight of Biafra.

Bight of BiafraInlet, AfricaAlternative title:Bight of BonnyWritten byThe Editors of Encyclopædia BritannicaBight of Biafra, also calledBight of Bonny, bay of theAtlantic Oceanon the western coast ofAfrica, extending east, then south, for 370 miles (600 km) from the Nun outletof theNiger River(Nigeria) to Cape Lopez (Gabon). The innermost bay of theGulf of Guinea, it is bounded by southeasternNigeria,Cameroon,Equatorial Guinea, and northwesternGabonand receives portions of the Niger and Ogooué river discharges and also the Cross, Sanaga, and many other rivers. Within the Bight of Biafra are several islands, the largest of which isBioko, belonging toEquatorial Guinea. Major ports on the bay areMalabo(on Bioko),Port HarcourtandCalabar(Nigeria),Douala(Cameroon),Bata(Equatorial Guinea), andLibrevilleandPort-Gentil(Gabon).Between the 16th and the 19th century the Bight of Biafra was the scene of extensive slave-dealing operations, based mainly on the ports of Brass,Bonny, Opobo, and Old Calabar (now Calabar) in Nigeria. By the 1830s the palm oil trade had surpassed slave trading, and it has maintained its importance. Petroleum, discovered in the late 1950s in the Niger Riverdelta, is a major economic resource.http://www.britannica.com/place/Bight-of-Biafra

Never knew someone can go to this extent to ridicule a people
Re: Old Maps Show Biafra Was Actually In Cameroon And Never Part Of Nigeria. by Nobody: 5:58pm On Nov 06, 2015
Do your research more compare and contrast old and current facts before ridiculing them.

Here's what I found on Wikipedia
Biafra, officially the Republic of Biafra, was a secessionist state in south eastern Nigeria that existed from 30 May 1967 to 15 January 1970, taking its name from the Bight of Biafra (the Atlantic bay to its south).[2] The inhabitants were mostly the Igbo people who led the secession due to economic, ethnic, cultural and religious tensions among the various peoples of Nigeria. The creation of the new state that was pushing for recognition was among the causes of the Nigerian Civil War, also known as the Nigerian-Biafran War.
Re: Old Maps Show Biafra Was Actually In Cameroon And Never Part Of Nigeria. by CARLOSZ: 5:59pm On Nov 06, 2015
Spactacle:

so what is your take on this bro?
My take is already there, Biafra is not Nigeria
Re: Old Maps Show Biafra Was Actually In Cameroon And Never Part Of Nigeria. by drnoel: 6:04pm On Nov 06, 2015
Bubewilson:
Do your research more compare and contrast old and current facts before ridiculing them.

Here's what I found on Wikipedia
Biafra, officially the Republic of Biafra, was a secessionist state in south eastern Nigeria that existed from 30 May 1967 to 15 January 1970, taking its name from the Bight of Biafra (the Atlantic bay to its south).[2] The inhabitants were mostly the Igbo people who led the secession due to economic, ethnic, cultural and religious tensions among the various peoples of Nigeria. The creation of the new state that was pushing for recognition was among the causes of the Nigerian Civil War, also known as the Nigerian-Biafran War.

wiki can be edited by any Tom, dick and Harry. I can remove that definition on wiki and come and tell u I have removed it and wiki will erase it as Long as I give then a suitable reason why I think it should be removed.
Re: Old Maps Show Biafra Was Actually In Cameroon And Never Part Of Nigeria. by Nobody: 6:13pm On Nov 06, 2015
grayht:
u dey cum Hian!!!
lol....see una bad mind
Re: Old Maps Show Biafra Was Actually In Cameroon And Never Part Of Nigeria. by Spactacle(m): 6:24pm On Nov 06, 2015
CARLOSZ:
My take is already there, Biafra is not Nigeria
lol,, very true
Re: Old Maps Show Biafra Was Actually In Cameroon And Never Part Of Nigeria. by Nobody: 7:28pm On Nov 06, 2015
drnoel:

wiki can be edited by any Tom, dick and Harry. I can remove that definition on wiki and come and tell u I have removed it and wiki will erase it as Long as I give then a suitable reason why I think it should be removed.
pending when your reason is deemed true.
Re: Old Maps Show Biafra Was Actually In Cameroon And Never Part Of Nigeria. by Nobody: 8:18pm On Nov 06, 2015
drnoel:

only as long as you give a reasonable reason.
Re: Old Maps Show Biafra Was Actually In Cameroon And Never Part Of Nigeria. by Nobody: 10:32pm On Nov 06, 2015
KingEli:
lol....see una bad mind
Abeg no cum ontop BIAFRA Thread!!! lol

1 Like

Re: Old Maps Show Biafra Was Actually In Cameroon And Never Part Of Nigeria. by CARLOSZ: 6:53pm On Nov 08, 2015
grin
grayht:
Abeg no cum ontop BIAFRA Thread!!! lol
Re: Old Maps Show Biafra Was Actually In Cameroon And Never Part Of Nigeria. by Area4Area: 2:59am On Mar 01, 2020
I don't intent to sound disrespectful but I will call a spade a spade...The truth is most reasonable igbo people r not in support of secession. Only d greedy n power-hungry ones are...They say they want freedom, freedom from what or from who? You wanna produce a president n yet ur mentality is dat of an enslaved people..Any Nigerian can be president if he or she knows how to play politics right..Today u say d north n west have ganged up against u to remove ur brother out of Aso Rock, is Jonathan an Igbo man? Or better still, when d defunct CPC n ACN extended invitation to APGA ( the so called igbo party) why didn't they join to create d alliance known as APC today?..Igbo people r industrious n creative but they lack the basic knowledge of how politics is played...we all know that in 2019 Buhari by d grace of God will be APC's flagbearer again n anybody with common sense knows that PDP will not field an Igbo person as her candidate..Why won't APGA and PDP form an alliance just like CPC n ACN did so they can be a strong opposition for APC n maybe produce a President or VP of igbo extraction in d near future?..lemme give u a clear example of what I mean; during d last elections, APGA supported PDP in d presidential elections but do u know that the same APGA did not win a single Senatorial Seat in d South East?..in other words, they were used n dumped by d PDP..Ngige as an APC chieftain is supposed to be the Senate President if he had won but he lost n his only crime was being an APC member (the so called hausa n yoruba party).. If Biafra is given to them, I bet u that they will beg to come back to Nigeria in less than a year because Anambra, Imo, Ebonyi, Enugu, n Abia will all want to produce the first Biafra president. And since that can't be possible, they will share Biafra into five more countries. In 'Anambra Country', an Awka man will wanna be president, an Abagana man will also want to be so Anambra will be shared into God knows how many countries too...lol.....Abeg let's stay together jor..Igbo brother n sisters abeg learn the act of politics n master it the way u do ur businesses, then u will produce a president. No be magic or gang up na common political sense
God bless Igbo
God bless Hausa
God bless Yoruba
God Bless Minorities
God bless Nigeria
Nice piece, nothing but the truth but have they learnt their lessons till date?

(1) (Reply)

Sport Betting Is Evil / Your Star Sign And What It Says About You / The Terrible State Of Itele - Lafenwa - Ayobo Road In Ogun State.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.