Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,173 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:45 AM

Toyota Hiace ("hummer Bus") Or Ford/chevrolet Buses: Which Is Better. - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Toyota Hiace ("hummer Bus") Or Ford/chevrolet Buses: Which Is Better. (36248 Views)

Modernised Hummer Jeep Spotted In Enugu / Two Buses Collide On 3rd Mainland Bridge (Photos) / Container Falls On A Toyota Hiace Bus Along Ilasa-Oshodi Expressway (Pictured) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Toyota Hiace ("hummer Bus") Or Ford/chevrolet Buses: Which Is Better. by KunleA2(m): 12:02am On Jan 05, 2010
dara-mi:

Hello Siena,

Please. l'm really in need of Toyota Hiace Bus. Can't find it here in the States at all. Do you know where l could get one ? Thank you

Hiace is never available in the states at all. Never offered. Check European mkts
Re: Toyota Hiace ("hummer Bus") Or Ford/chevrolet Buses: Which Is Better. by darami(f): 12:12am On Jan 06, 2010
Thank you Kunle, that's what I'm trying do now.
Re: Toyota Hiace ("hummer Bus") Or Ford/chevrolet Buses: Which Is Better. by Midas02(m): 9:59am On Jan 21, 2010
@Siena,

I agree with your assessment of a V8 when compared to a Straight-Six Turbo Diesel. However, the assessment I was asked to make was based on the two type of vehicles that were readily available in the market. The Straight-Six Turbo Diesel engine is actually available in Ford Super-Duty Cut-away vans - these are based on a chassis similar to the one the vans are using but with heavier duty Trans-axle and Dually wheels for transporting 18 - 30 passengers (depends on model length).

In Europe, correct me if I am wrong, the turbo diesel engine will most likely be available in Mercedes Benz Sprinter Vans, Iveco Ducati Vans and Ford Transit Vans. All these vehicles are quite common and inexpensive in the van format and rarer in passenger variant, however, that is something that can easily be retro-fitted! I have often wondered why there are not many of these Vans on Nigerian roads!

Recently, Mercedes Benz started selling the Sprinter Van here in the USA. It was re-badged as the Dodge Sprinter Van! However, it is still very expensive!

I have included the picture of a Cut-Away Ford Mass transit Van (It uses a 7.3L Straigth-Six Turbo diesel)

Re: Toyota Hiace ("hummer Bus") Or Ford/chevrolet Buses: Which Is Better. by Midas02(m): 10:20am On Jan 21, 2010
It is also critical to remember that in Nigeria - Diesel can be twice as expensive as Petrol! And not only that, diesel can be very difficult to find sometimes! Needless to say, most transporters avoid diesel fuel like a plague! The added cost of running on diesel fuel is further compounded by the lack of assurance of supply in whatever city you may find yourself while travelling!

This factors (Nigerian Factor), totally destroy and render useless any advantage that a diesel engined transporter might have had.

Luxurious bus companies are able to survive this disadvantages because a luxurious bus can often load enough fuel at the base to go to Abuja and back without refueling! Sometimes fuel capacity is up to 850 Liters and range may be in excess of 2000km! Also, Luxurious Bus companies have fleets and therefore often buy whatever available diesel there is in bulk (thru owners gas station or fuel depot).
Re: Toyota Hiace ("hummer Bus") Or Ford/chevrolet Buses: Which Is Better. by chrisochei: 12:23pm On Jan 26, 2010
I am a new member to this site. I am really pleased with the high level of professionalism demonstrated in handling the subject above. Especially Midas02's contributions.

I also venturing into transport business and my choice is Hi ace Hummer.

I will appreciate if the experts in the house can educate me on how :

1. How to make a long distance transportation business between Lagos - Abuja, Lagos - Onitsha and Lagos- Warri succeed.
2. How soon can i break even.
3. Which service should i go into : Executive or ordinary that guarantees greater and faster rates of return.
4. I will appreciate if real prices are used in the analysis and passenger availability as well as registration at garrages
Thank you so much.
Re: Toyota Hiace ("hummer Bus") Or Ford/chevrolet Buses: Which Is Better. by sultaan(m): 10:50pm On Apr 14, 2010
Here is a reason why Toyota can sell that bus in US, safety concern for occupants in a high speed collision(40mph).
I was on that road in Dec. and It was the worst I have seen in my entire life.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-271913.64.html

[size=16pt]22 feared killed in Akure auto crash
From Niyi Bello, Akure
[/size]

NO fewer than 22 lives were on Monday night lost in an auto crash tragedy along Akure-Owo road when an 18-seater bus had a head-on collision with a truck laden with roofing materials as the two vehicles were trying to avoid a bad portion of the road.

The two vehicles were said to have burst into flames after the collision with the 25 occupants of the two vehicles trapped in the inferno that completely reduced the vehicles to scraps of twisted metals.

However, three survivors, who suffered various degree of burns, are now receiving treatment at the emergency unit of the Federal Medical Centre, Owo, while the remains of the dead have been deposited at the hospital morgue.

It was learnt that the driver of the Isuzu truck with registration number Lagos CV 624 KTU was avoiding a deep gully in his side of the road when he rammed into the Abuja-bound passenger vehicle, a Toyota Hiace bus with registration number Kogi XA 666 KHS. The accident occurred at about 1.30 am.

The charred remains of the victims were evacuated from the accident scene near Amurin Village, Emure-Ile by a combined team of officials of the Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC) and the Police while the survivours were taken to the hospital.

The Divisional Police Officer of 'B' Division, Owo, Mr. Garba Umaru, a Chief Superintendent of Police (CSP), and the Owo FRSC Unit Commander, Mr. Segun Sanmi, led the evacuation teams.

It was a pathetic sight as many commuters who were delayed for several hours early yesterday morning while the road was being cleared, broke down in tears as they watched officials piling the burnt victims into a heap by the roadside.

The Police Public Relations Officer, Ondo State Command, Aremu Adeniran, who confirmed the accident and the casualty figure to The Guardian yesterday afternoon, could however not say whether the victims had been given mass burial as the facilities at the FMC morgue were said to have been over-stretched.

While reiterating the FRSC's warning against avoidable night travels, Sanmi said the casualty figure could have been reduced or the accident totally prevented if it had occurred in the daylight.
Re: Toyota Hiace ("hummer Bus") Or Ford/chevrolet Buses: Which Is Better. by Kingdavid3: 12:18pm On Apr 15, 2010
pls wot's d cost of getting an automatic toyota liteace/town ace in 9ja and whr do i get a very good ones.
thx
Re: Toyota Hiace ("hummer Bus") Or Ford/chevrolet Buses: Which Is Better. by assos: 12:58pm On Apr 15, 2010
i have an excellent white colour 20 to 22 passage LED
Mercedes sprinter van 208D,1998 model is been coverted
to left hand drive nice look in and out come with CD stereo
excellent mechanical sound engine look like new vans.
asking price is 1.2m naira is available now to
view only interesting and serious buyer.i bet u will be a luck buyer
because you would find a deal in Mercedes long well like this picture coming soon
Re: Toyota Hiace ("hummer Bus") Or Ford/chevrolet Buses: Which Is Better. by assos: 1:03pm On Apr 15, 2010
assos:

i have an excellent white colour 20 to 22 passage LED
Mercedes sprinter van 208D,1998 model is been coverted
to left hand drive nice look in and out come with CD stereo
excellent mechanical sound engine look like new vans.
asking price is 1.2m naira is available now to
view only interesting and serious buyer.i bet u will be a luck buyer
because you would find a deal in Mercedes long well like this picture coming soon
contact me on abdulahint@yahoo.com
Re: Toyota Hiace ("hummer Bus") Or Ford/chevrolet Buses: Which Is Better. by Kingdavid3: 2:07pm On Apr 15, 2010
thx but i'll prefer a toyota bus. do u ve toyota picknic ?
brgs
Re: Toyota Hiace ("hummer Bus") Or Ford/chevrolet Buses: Which Is Better. by assos: 3:12pm On Apr 15, 2010
yes can help arrage what u need immediately mail me on abdulahint@yahoo.com
Re: Toyota Hiace ("hummer Bus") Or Ford/chevrolet Buses: Which Is Better. by assos: 3:19pm On Apr 15, 2010
assos:

yes can help you arrage what ever bus or van truck trailer head tipper any type of cars u need immediately mail me on abdulahint@yahoo.com
Re: Toyota Hiace ("hummer Bus") Or Ford/chevrolet Buses: Which Is Better. by Lanko0071: 4:23pm On Jun 28, 2010
3 units of 2008 corolla that just came from US for sale, just 15k miles (N2.5m). Very clean, just came in from US. Also, 2004 nissan morano (N2.85, Acura TL (1.5m), and Benz E class (1.7m). Interested? call or text to 08023679519 or mail lanko2004@hotmail.com. So sorry for breaking your topic. All prices negotiable
Re: Toyota Hiace ("hummer Bus") Or Ford/chevrolet Buses: Which Is Better. by babseg(m): 6:19pm On Jun 28, 2010
Hi Mowire,

Toyota Hiace is very good and common in 9ja. Should you be interested I have two Hiace buses to be sold now. contact me if interested. babseg2001@yahoo.com
Re: Toyota Hiace ("hummer Bus") Or Ford/chevrolet Buses: Which Is Better. by femmy2010(m): 9:27pm On Jun 28, 2010
Hiace anyday
Re: Toyota Hiace ("hummer Bus") Or Ford/chevrolet Buses: Which Is Better. by darami(f): 11:34pm On Jul 07, 2010
Hello Siena,

Pls, l'm still waiting for your reply regards to the Toyota
Siena:

Dara, no worries. I will do some research, and post my findings on here.
Hiace bus. Thank you.
Re: Toyota Hiace ("hummer Bus") Or Ford/chevrolet Buses: Which Is Better. by Ikedonn(m): 5:44am On Oct 28, 2010
;d
Re: Toyota Hiace ("hummer Bus") Or Ford/chevrolet Buses: Which Is Better. by femmy2010(m): 8:12am On Oct 28, 2010
Hiace anyday.
The only reason other brand are being used for commercial purpose is INADEQUATE FUNDING TO BUY IT.
If you can afford it then embrace the ever reliable HIACE.
Re: Toyota Hiace ("hummer Bus") Or Ford/chevrolet Buses: Which Is Better. by sultaan(m): 1:45pm On Oct 29, 2010
A 4cyl, over a V8 on highway, maybe you should drive 6 hrs in a chevy 1500, and compare to the toyota.I could have sworn my grandpa the 404 and 504 are the best cars in the world.
Re: Toyota Hiace ("hummer Bus") Or Ford/chevrolet Buses: Which Is Better. by success65: 7:11pm On Mar 16, 2011
guy i will advise you try both toyota and chevrolet . when you talk bout toyota you are talking of 15- 18 passenger but chevrolet can carry more than that. and again if you will need experieced drivers who will work with you pls do contact this email st4success65@yahoo.com 08161197418
Re: Toyota Hiace ("hummer Bus") Or Ford/chevrolet Buses: Which Is Better. by sonety2k(m): 9:31am On Mar 17, 2011
If  you  need   PRE  -  ORDER   RIGHT HAND  DRIVE   TOYOTA  HAICE   VAN 

Direct  from Japan   ,  Minimum  ORDER  2 Unit  ,                         

Kindly  get in  touch , you  can  easily  do   the  conversion  or we  handle  the  conversion for you  in  Lagos

E - Mail - sonetauto@yahoo.com

TOYOTA  SIENNA  , WHITE COLOR  ,  Check  the  link below

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-596454.0.html

PRICE , 1.150m ,             LOCATION ---------  IBADAN

Re: Toyota Hiace ("hummer Bus") Or Ford/chevrolet Buses: Which Is Better. by viwasin: 12:03am On Apr 20, 2012
I have a toyota hiace hummer bus tokunboh clean engine for sale. Contact me on 08070436622 or 07032030444 or my email on viwasin@gmail.com
Re: Toyota Hiace ("hummer Bus") Or Ford/chevrolet Buses: Which Is Better. by Jaafarhachem: 5:18pm On Jan 12, 2013
over 100 hummer buses in stock

contact me

jaafar.hachem@yahoo.com

Re: Toyota Hiace ("hummer Bus") Or Ford/chevrolet Buses: Which Is Better. by idsolar(m): 9:04am On Nov 26, 2013
goodday all. nice thread. pls iam into solar/inverter. i travl most to site wt heavy material panels, batr, inverters. recently i hv bn thinkn of going for ford e-series. pls i need ur advise,rcmdatn,price. thanks
Re: Toyota Hiace ("hummer Bus") Or Ford/chevrolet Buses: Which Is Better. by pek(m): 10:11am On Nov 26, 2013
nice thread and posts! have we considered a third option? my church wanted two buses for their school! the general. opinion was the Hummer. someone introduced up to the China equivalent. I am telling you, it is exactly like the Hummer in and out. do you know it is almost half of the price of the Hummer. we have had on issues with and it comes with warranty
Re: Toyota Hiace ("hummer Bus") Or Ford/chevrolet Buses: Which Is Better. by sultaan(m): 3:44pm On Nov 26, 2013
Chinese! death will be swift and painless.
Re: Toyota Hiace ("hummer Bus") Or Ford/chevrolet Buses: Which Is Better. by SHEGS07: 3:51am On Aug 05, 2015
Having read through this post which is about 2yrs ago..pls I need advice on the current info on ford e350 vs Toyota hiace 2005..based on price & economical usage in Nigeria.??...reason is because a varsity xtain fellowship wants to buy it..but I'm afraid as par d maintenance demands on d students..
It will be run intra campus basically..except occasional travels..Thanks in anticipation!!!!
Re: Toyota Hiace ("hummer Bus") Or Ford/chevrolet Buses: Which Is Better. by lahnder(m): 12:21pm On Nov 22, 2019
@midas2 please I need a spare part selling for cheverolet express 3500 in Lagos I need suspension and steering box
Re: Toyota Hiace ("hummer Bus") Or Ford/chevrolet Buses: Which Is Better. by AlphaTaikun: 3:33pm On Jun 20, 2022
Midas02:
It depends.

The Toyota is very popular and durable and has proven itself a million times over. There is an abundance of parts, good technical understanding with regards to mechanics and good gas economy especially in-town. It is reliable and extremely durable. Unfortunately, the popularity of this brand makes it pricey.

If you do decide to go for the Chevrolet/Ford Vans, I will advise you to know why you may or may not go for the 3500 series. The 3500 series have heavy duty components which include engine, suspension, transmission, hub axle and chassis because they are design to handle heavy loads (up to 3.5tons) and 12000Ibs tow capacity - You need no where near that when handling passengers! The downside of the 3500 series is heavy fuel consumption! Chevy/Ford passenger Vans are also manufactured as standard 1500 series which can handle 1.5ton and has the same body and dimensions as the 3500 series. The 1500 series vans are more common, more economical to run and will give you a faster return for your money.

Chevy/Ford vans are much more powerful (performance wise), but on the other hand they are less economical in terms of gas consumption in-town. If your business model is going to involve mostly long distance travel then this vans are ideal cos a fully loaded Chevy Express 1500 traveling the highways will cost you less to run than an equivalently loaded Toyota Hiace will. I will expound on the reasons for this:

1) Chevy/Ford 1500 has a standard V8 engine that allows it to hum happily at highway speeds even when loaded with 18 passengers and their belongings.
2) Chevy/Ford Vans are equipped with automatic transmission that is much more efficient at highway speeds than in-town
3) Chevy/Ford Vans are built to handle the loads imposed by 18 Pax & luggage and the engine doesn't get overtaxed or over burdened
4) Toyota Hiace is really built to handle 1 ton and the engine gets overtaxed with 18 Pax & luggage resulting in increased fuel consumption
5) Toyota Hiace's suspension takes a pounding and starts falling apart because of the load stress.
6) Toyota Hiace's engine is 4 cylinder and the torque delivered is inadequate to handle the load thus leading to poor consumption and wear
7) Transmisson and drivetrain components on the Hiace are stressed and because of exessive load
8.) The extra power of the Chevy/Ford vans allows it to be operated with A/C without struggling to deliver the power demanded on the highway
9) The extra 4 cylinders in the Chevy/Ford ensure the longevity of the engine. American V8's are reputed to go 350,000 miles without rebuild or rebore!
10) The Chevy/Ford vans have more interior space for passenger comfort.
11) Initial cost of purchasing a used Toyota Hiace could be up to N400,000.00 more than a used Chevy Express van.
12) Spreading the cost difference over a period of 36 months means the Toyota costs an extra N11,000.00 per month!

CONCLUSION:
Inspite of the advantages of the Chevy/Ford vans in the areas of engine power and loading capacity, I will have to nominate the Hiace Bus. The Hiace Bus has a looooooooong history in Nigeria and is well known and understood by local mechanics. To operate the Chevy/Ford vans, you will need to have access to knowledgeable mechanics coupled with the fact that the parts are not so abundant (perhaps even rare). The Toyota Hiace bus is extremely durable and reliable despite the fact that it is consistently over-worked and pushed beyond its design limits! When the toyota breaks down in remote locations, parts are easy to come by and the cost of the parts won't break the bank becos of abundance. From a business and operational logistics perspective, the Toyota wins hands down!

MY PICK:
I will pick the Chevy Express. Why??  I am known to be stubborn and I always like to do things differently from the popular norm. I am knowledgeable enough about the vehicles to be able to operate it without getting into trouble. If I operated a Chevy Express, both on the short run and on the long run, I believe I will come out with better and sounder economic gains. But that is just me and I do not advise any other person to do the same.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Vehicles Particulars Renewal Grace Period / Help!! This Car Was Stolen In Onitsha This Morning (Photo) / What Will Happen To The Odometer Of A Vehicle If The Engine Is Replaced???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.