Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,190 members, 7,822,011 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:20 AM

MTN Must Respect Laws Of Host Countries - South Africa Deputy President - Investment (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / MTN Must Respect Laws Of Host Countries - South Africa Deputy President (20456 Views)

The Four Basic Laws Of Wealth, Success And Prosperity / MMM Promoters Exploited Nigerian Laws / 3 Laws Of Money. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: MTN Must Respect Laws Of Host Countries - South Africa Deputy President by mikeapollo: 9:37am On Nov 09, 2015
[quote author=Demdem post=39831108][/quote]ting

I am not against what Senator Bruce said, in principle.
I am only contrasting/comparing what the South African Deputy President said against the mentality and attitude of Nigerian officials and Nigerians in general when Nigerians/Nigerian companies face similar sanctions in other countries e.g. in Ghana, Malaysia etc.
We must first charge our people to respect the host nation's laws FIRST, then other considerations or negotiations can follow.

Personally, I refused to accept that MTN should pay as much as N1.42trillion as FINE.
If I were the CEO of MTN South Africa, I would rather negotiate for a reduced fine or pull out of Nigeria. That amount is too much for a single company to pay. I am sure Nigerian would not want MTN to pull out.
The lesson I want people to draw from the SA Deputy President's comment is: Respect your host country's laws if you do not want to fall into trouble, and we Nigerians must learn that
Re: MTN Must Respect Laws Of Host Countries - South Africa Deputy President by Nobody: 9:51am On Nov 09, 2015
NCC should have increase the fine to the equivalent of repairing all refineries
Re: MTN Must Respect Laws Of Host Countries - South Africa Deputy President by Benfaco: 10:11am On Nov 09, 2015
I don't really have issues with MTN paying the money. My main concern is what haappens to the money after it has been paid. Hope it won't be embezzled.
Re: MTN Must Respect Laws Of Host Countries - South Africa Deputy President by scooby650(m): 10:12am On Nov 09, 2015
adepiero:
I wan build nursery and primary school with space for sports and another section I go use am build estate and inside the estate I go build tollgate come link am go London grin

Brilliants idea... Bt dat of your idea you want to build tollgate that will link to London won't work till Jesus come, cos that your village witches and wizard won't allow u to do dat.. I bet you.
Re: MTN Must Respect Laws Of Host Countries - South Africa Deputy President by Demdem(m): 11:18am On Nov 09, 2015
mikeapollo:
ting

I am not against what Senator Bruce said, in principle.
I am only contrasting/comparing what the South African Deputy President said against the mentality and attitude of Nigerian officials and Nigerians in general when Nigerians/Nigerian companies face similar sanctions in other countries e.g. in Ghana, Malaysia etc.
We must first charge our people to respect the host nation's laws FIRST, then other considerations or negotiations can follow.

Ok, stop being vague. Give me specific examples to substantiate ur claim.

Personally, I refused to accept that MTN should pay as much as N1.42trillion as FINE.

Did MTN agreed to the fine before they chose to flout it? If they signed for it then, why now shying away from taking responsibility?

If I were the CEO of MTN South Africa, I would rather negotiate for a reduced fine or pull out of Nigeria.

And Nigeria has the prerogative not to agree with u. Ooo I see, pull out from a business unit that supplies 1/3 of ur worldwide income. Believe u me, ur shareholders will eat u raw. Already, they Av applied and granted extension of their operating license.

That amount is too much for a single company to pay.

For many companies, it is but for MTN, it's not.

I am sure Nigerian would not want MTN to pull out.

If that is so, Nigeria wouldn't have speedily approved an extension of their operating license within 2 weeks when MTN applied. Ur allegation has no basis.

The lesson I want people to draw from the SA Deputy President's comment is: Respect your host country's laws if you do not want to fall into trouble, and we Nigerians must learn that

I agree. In addition, if u chose to flout any of the laws, be ready to face the music when applied.

Re: MTN Must Respect Laws Of Host Countries - South Africa Deputy President by uwajeh(m): 1:56pm On Nov 09, 2015
“On the face of it, this fine seems seriously over the top. Ramaphosa’s words about the issue seem weak as they veer too much on the side of caution,” he added."

This whole MTN thing is really beginning to annoy me. Of the four major telcos in Nigeria, three (MTN, Airtel and Etisalat) are foreign entities, two complied with the NCC's directives while one decided to play the don.

I reproduced the above quote because that has been the general reaction of foreign analysts. I fail to understand how the fine is excessive when it was not leveled arbitrarily. MTN like the other telcos was made aware of the fine of N200,000.00 per mobile line which was not deactivated and it even received warning from the NCC but chose to ignore them.

Airtel which is owned by Bharti Airtel is the third largest telecoms company in the world by subscriber base with about 325 million subscribers yet it complied fully with the directives of the NCC. Etisalat is 60 percent owned by the Emirates Investment Authority of UAE with over $800bn under management. It could have chosen to ignore the NCC since the fine would be chicken change to it yet it wilfully complied.

If the fine was imposed by the U.S. authorities which have imposed several billion dollar fines on companies which contravened the laws of their Country I'm certain it would not have been termed "excessive". I reiterate that it is a case of willful disobedience and should be treated as such to deter other companies from taking our laws for granted. And let no one threaten us with exit because we are fully aware that Nigeria is one of the most attractive investment destinations in the world.

I think the message is clear. There's a new sheriff in town and we as Nigerians expect things to be done differently. A situation where British Petroleum set aside over $20bn to pay compensation for the Deepwater Horizon oil spillage because it happened in the United States whereas Shell and co find it difficult to set aside even a fraction of that to deal with oil spillage in the Niger-Delta which is ten times worse is simply unacceptable.

From now on we as Nigerians expect every foreign company doing business in Nigeria to comply strictly with our laws and where they fail to do so they should be made to pay the price.

Let us all stand and make it clear to the whole world that Nigeria is no longer the jungle it once was!!!

2 Likes

Re: MTN Must Respect Laws Of Host Countries - South Africa Deputy President by rhymz(m): 4:33pm On Nov 09, 2015
uwajeh:
“On the face of it, this fine seems seriously over the top. Ramaphosa’s words about the issue seem weak as they veer too much on the side of caution,” he added."

This whole MTN thing is really beginning to annoy me. Of the four major telcos in Nigeria, three (MTN, Airtel and Etisalat) are foreign entities, two complied with the NCC's directives while one decided to play the don.

I reproduced the above quote because that has been the general reaction of foreign analysts. I fail to understand how the fine is excessive when it was not leveled arbitrarily. MTN like the other telcos was made aware of the fine of N200,000.00 per mobile line which was not deactivated and it even received warning from the NCC but chose to ignore them.

Airtel which is owned by Bharti Airtel is the third largest telecoms company in the world by subscriber base with about 325 million subscribers yet it complied fully with the directives of the NCC. Etisalat is 60 percent owned by the Emirates Investment Authority of UAE with over $800bn under management. It could have chosen to ignore the NCC since the fine would be chicken change to it yet it wilfully complied.

If the fine was imposed by the U.S. authorities which have imposed several billion dollar fines on companies which contravened the laws of their Country I'm certain it would not have been termed "excessive". I reiterate that it is a case of willful disobedience and should be treated as such to deter other companies from taking our laws for granted. And let no one threaten us with exit because we are fully aware that Nigeria is one of the most attractive investment destinations in the world.

I think the message is clear. There's a new sheriff in town and we as Nigerians expect things to be done differently. A situation where British Petroleum set aside over $20bn to pay compensation for the Deepwater Horizon oil spillage because it happened in the United States whereas Shell and co find it difficult to set aside even a fraction of that to deal with oil spillage in the Niger-Delta which is ten times worse is simply unacceptable.

From now on we as Nigerians expect every foreign company doing business in Nigeria to comply strictly with our laws and where they fail to do so they should be made to pay the price.

Let us all stand and make it clear to the whole world that Nigeria is no longer the jungle it once was!!!

All fine and dandy but font forget that you are not USA, don't have the USA economy and can't afford to have more people lose their jobs because the new Sheriff wants to announce his arrival. You dont cut your nose to spite your face.
Re: MTN Must Respect Laws Of Host Countries - South Africa Deputy President by Demdem(m): 12:54pm On Nov 10, 2015
[s]
rhymz:
All fine and dandy but font forget that you are not USA, don't have the USA economy and can't afford to have more people lose their jobs because the new Sheriff wants to announce his arrival. You dont cut your nose to spite your face.
[/s]

Rubbish
Re: MTN Must Respect Laws Of Host Countries - South Africa Deputy President by AprokoMan: 12:25pm On Nov 26, 2015
Demdem:
I am bastard son of a rotten kunt from the South West. i have an oblong head and terrible tribal marks on each side of my cheeks.
I also believe that FFK smashed my mom's toto before the coward my father had any chance. my father was not just a coward but an idiot, for allowing my uncles to fvck my sisters.
may thunder fire my parents

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

HOW TO REGISTER YOUR BUSINESS NAME REGISTRATIONS / Guide On How To Make Money On Facebook / Kingsley Ubenyi Of KSLEY Mega Vision Arrested By EFCC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.