Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,898 members, 7,817,660 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:34 PM

Watch What You Eat! - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Watch What You Eat! (646 Views)

If You Eat 2 Bananas Per Day For A Month, This Is What Happens To Your Body / Watch What You Eat – Cardiologist Caution Nigerians By Gabriel Abas / Watch What You Drink - My Horror With AQUAFINA Water (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Watch What You Eat! by drfabs(m): 6:34am On Nov 10, 2015
Hi, everyone. I met a 15 year old female who weighed 102kg with a BMI of 35.2 (Grade 2 Obesity) very recently where I earn a source of living. The particularly touching matter was that she had come for follow up. She was being managed for hypertension- elevated blood pressure. This thread is meant to serve as an eye-opener for us all. If we don't watch what we eat, what we eat might kill us! Home made meals are no longer the in-thing. We consider eating junk a form of status statement. We consume alcohol like our lives depend on it. Majority of us lead sedentary lives. All these factors compounded by a positive family history of hypertension can be likened to one sitting on a keg of gunpowder waiting to explode. Not only 40 year olds develop the condition. There's an entity referred to as 'childhood hypertension' -another story for another day. Be mindful of what you eat, drink little or no alcohol and more of water, exercise consistently ( u Could dance to a song in your room for 30mins) and watch your weight. The normal BMI is 18.5 - 24.nine. Below 18.5 you are underweight and above 24.nine) one is overweight and so on and so forth. A quick way to know yours is to know ur height in metres. Raise it to the power of 2, then divide it by your weight. What you get is your BMI. Finally, monitor your blood pressure regularly. Walk in to any hospital and ask any of the beautiful nurses to help check it. I hope this helps someone. Thanks.
Re: Watch What You Eat! by shoksimba: 9:36am On Nov 10, 2015
Thank you sir, God bless you
drfabs:
Hi, everyone. I met a 15 year old female who weighed 102kg with a BMI of 35.2 (Grade 2 Obesity) very recently where I earn a source of living. The particularly touching matter was that she had come for follow up. She was being managed for hypertension- elevated blood pressure. This thread is meant to serve as an eye-opener for us all. If we don't watch what we eat, what we eat might kill us! Home made meals are no longer the in-thing. We consider eating junk a form of status statement. We consume alcohol like our lives depend on it. Majority of us lead sedentary lives. All these factors compounded by a positive family history of hypertension can be likened to one sitting on a keg of gunpowder waiting to explode. Not only 40 year olds develop the condition. There's an entity referred to as 'childhood hypertension' -another story for another day. Be mindful of what you eat, drink little or no alcohol and more of water, exercise consistently ( u Could dance to a song in your room for 30mins) and watch your weight. The normal BMI is 18.5 - 24.nine. Below 18.5 you are underweight and above 24.nine) one is overweight and so on and so forth. A quick way to know yours is to know ur height in metres. Raise it to the power of 2, then divide it by your weight. What you get is your BMI. Finally, monitor your blood pressure regularly. Walk in to any hospital and ask any of the beautiful nurses to help check it. I hope this helps someone. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Watch What You Eat! by Orobo2Lekpa: 1:06pm On Nov 10, 2015
There is no substitute for an active lifestyle. Eat less and move more. Also eat the right foods in the right quantity and proportion

2 Likes

Re: Watch What You Eat! by PRISTINEMUSCLES: 5:01pm On Nov 10, 2015
Very informative. It is pertinent that we watch what we eat and drink, our lifestyles.
Let me point something out here, BMI is not an absolute way of knowing whether one is obese, overweight or underweight. My BMI is in the region of 25 but i am nothing close to being overweight. The BMI "thing" does not work for athletes and body-builders. Moreover lean muscle-mass weighs far more than fats.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Here's What Can Happen When You Eat Too Much Salt / Health Risks Associated Of Butter / Structural detailer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.