Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,583 members, 7,812,904 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:56 PM

150 Unique And Most Common African Last Names (surnames) - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 150 Unique And Most Common African Last Names (surnames) (3403 Views)

20 Of The Most Common Grammatical Errors We All Need To Stop Making / Sap’s Africa Code Week 2016 Poised To Train 150,000 African Youths / 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

150 Unique And Most Common African Last Names (surnames) by honeywealth75(m): 12:56pm On Nov 10, 2015
Africa is home to several language families and hundreds of languages all these different cultures countries and people have something in common they can be found now world wide and one way of keeping and telling others about your roots is African Surname and there for it is considered as very important in todays African culture.

The people can be divided into over a thousand different ethnic groups. Some practice various tribal religions, others Islam or Christianity.

This complex background makes summing up African naming traditions in a few paragraphs very difficult.

Traditional African given names often reflect the circumstances at the time of birth. Names such as Mwanajuma “Friday”, Esi “Sunday”, Khamisi “Thursday”, and Wekesa “harvest time” refer to the time or day when the child was born. Other names reflect the birth order of the newborn, for example Mosi “first born”, Kunto “third born”, Nsonowa “seventh born”, and Wasswa “first of twins”.

Some names describe the parents’ reaction to the birth (such as Kayode, Gwandoya, Abeni and Monifa) and still others are descriptive of the newborn or of desired characteristics (like Yejide, Dada, Chiumbo and Zuberi). Vocabulary words are also often used as given names. For example: Sefu “sword” and Tau “lion” (masculine) and Marjani “coral” and Ife “love” (feminine).
Ghana’s founding father Kwame Nkrumah chose to name his two sons after fellow African leaders.
Sekou Nkrumah was named after Guinea’s first President Sekou Toure, while Gamal Nkrumah got his name from Egyptian President Gamal Abdel Nasser.
Nkrumah is not alone in fostering the identity of Africanism – the late President Mobutu Sese Seko dropped his own Christian name and even renamed his country – the then Belgian Congo – which became Zaire.
But 32 years later the late Laurent Kabila kicked Mobutu out, and re-baptised the country the Democratic Republic of Congo.
His reason was to rid the country of all of Mobutu’s influence and he felt a change of name was the way to do it.
1.AjanlekokoThe Dog is chasing the Wolf
2.OmiataPepperwater
3.ApelokoOne who works late on the Farm”
4.Abimbola Rich child
5.Abioye The son of royalty
6.Adebowale Return of the crown
7.Adisa The lucid one
8.Afia Friday born child
9.Afolabi Child of high status
10.Afua Friday born child
11.Akachi God’s hand
12.Akinyi Born during forenoon
13.Akua Wednesday born
14.Baako Baby first born
15.Babajide Father is coming home
16.Babak Small father
17.Babatunde Return of the father
18.Babette Promise of God
19.Chiamaka God is gorgeous
20.Chibuzo God give me directions
21.Chidike The strength of God
22.Chidubem God is my guide
23.Chike Power of God
24.Chikelu Created by God
25.Chikere Created by God
26.Chipo Present
27.Chuks God did great deeds
28.Chukwuemeka God did great deeds
29.Ekua Wednesday born
30.Emeka God did great deeds
31.Emem Person of peace
32.Faraji Solace
33.Femi Adored by God
34.Folami One who demands respect
35.Fumnaya Give me love
36.Furaha Delight
37.Ife Woman of love
38.Imamu Spiritual leader
39.Imani Faithful person
40.Imari Faithful or loyal
41.Jabari Courageous
42. Jaheem Dignified
43.Jaz Unclear
44.Jelani Full of strength
45.Jojo God raises
46.Kanye Freedom
47.Katlego Achieving
48.Kenya From Mount Kenya
Re: 150 Unique And Most Common African Last Names (surnames) by honeywealth75(m): 12:58pm On Nov 10, 2015
Contnuation

100 Unique and Most Common African Last Names (Surnames)
1Azikiwe51Asari-Dokubo
2Awolowo52Jomo-Gbomo
3Bello53Anikulapo-Kuti
4Balewa54Iwu
5Akintola55Anenih
6Okotie-Eboh56Bamgboshe
7Nzeogwu57Biobaku
8Onwuatuegwu58Tinibu
9Okafor59Akinjide
10Okereke60Akinyemi
11Okeke61Akiloye
12Okonkwo62Adeyemi
13Okoye63Adesida
14Okorie64Omehia
15Obasanjo65Sekibo
16Babangida66Okar
17Buhari67Amaechi
18Dimka68Bankole
19Diya 69Nnamani
20Odili70Ayim
21Ibori71Okadigbo
22Igbinedion72Ironsi
23Alamieyeseigha73Ojukwu
24Yar’Adua74Danjuma
25Akpabio75Effiong
26Attah76Akenzua
27Chukwumereije77Adeoye
28Akunyili78Adesina
29Iweala79Saro-Wiwa
30Okonjo80Gowon
31Ezekwesili81Ekwensi
32Achebe82Egwu
33Soyinka83Onobanjo
34Solarin84Aguda
35Gbadamosi85Okpara
36Olanrewaju86Mbanefo
37Magoro87Boro
38Madaki88Akerele
39Jang89Alakija
40Oyinlola90Balogun
41Oyenusi91Mbadinuju
42Onyejekwe92Okiro
43Onwudiwe93Okilo
44Jakande94Jaja
45Kalejaiye95Fagbure
46Igwe96Falana
47Eze97Ademola
48Obi98Ohakim
49Ngige99Orji
50Uba100Kalu
While doing our research for African Names we found these interesting aricle parts and we feel like sharing them with you
My name (Noxolo) means peace in Xhosa. What I like about this name is it reflects which tribal group of South Africa I come from. The Xhosa as well Zulu languages have 3 distincts clicks “X”, “C” and “Q” but Xhosas use more clicks than Zulus in their everyday conversations. My family name has a click “C” as well. When my mother was pregnant, she was always fighting with my father and his family; she was in this constant state of depression. When I was born, she gave me this name NOXOLO because she wanted peace. Actually just after I was born, peace was restored in my family. My African name reflects my personality – I hate fights and arguments ; I am a peaceful person.
Noxolo Judith Ncapayi, South Africa
I just feel happy to say that this programme of conscientization is excellent. African names have always been associated with personal identity and personality structure expressed in the hopes and aspirations of the parents and passed on to the individual child. So “Ndubueze” means that “life is king” – to live is to be a king. There we go!
Dr. Ndubueze Fabian Mmagu, Austria
I find it quite silly in retrospect that almost all Kenyans have a “Christian” name which is quite English. Mine’s Margaret, or Latin for some Catholics. Nowhere in the Bible does it say one should have a Christian name and it certainly did not require it to be English or Western. We can be baptised another Kenyan/African and more meaningful name than being another of the somewhat bland Peters and Janes of the world.
Wairimu Kuria, Kenyan in US
African names comes with great pride and power. Maduabuchi means Humans are not God. Also: no one can dictate my life, nor my destiny, strong to be God to my destiny and my self. Last name Onwuachimba means Death could never wipe out a community. What a wonderful name; Maduabuchi Onwuachimba (Igbo-Nigeria). In abreviation “ABUCHI” for my Western folks, short and simple is’nt it.
Abuchi, USA
I have a western surname, presumably that of the slavemaster of my forebears. But by the grace of God, my first and middle names are not only African but reflect the ethnic origin of where I know my maternal ancestors come from, the Mandinka people. In May 2003 I took a genetics test and found out that I’m a direct descendent of the Mandinkas maternally. My parents wanting to embue me with an African name, unknowingly gave me a first and middle name that reflects part of my ethnic origin
BR, USA

http://africa-facts.org/african-last-names/
Re: 150 Unique And Most Common African Last Names (surnames) by honeywealth75(m): 12:59pm On Nov 10, 2015
Am proud of my heritage, proudly african
Re: 150 Unique And Most Common African Last Names (surnames) by DebbyChris(f): 2:21pm On Nov 10, 2015
Ok, but my surname isn't there.
Re: 150 Unique And Most Common African Last Names (surnames) by Vidya225: 10:27pm On Jan 22, 2018

(1) (Reply)

See New Polytechnic Grading Released By NBTE / Pls How Authentic And Real Is This JPTS And O3GP Masters Degree Program / Content Marketing: Write What Interests Your Readers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.