Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,942 members, 7,952,801 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 01:43 AM

Help With Hyundai Santa Fe 2002 V6 2.7 L - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Help With Hyundai Santa Fe 2002 V6 2.7 L (1585 Views)

Hyundai Motors Unveils The New 2019 Santa Fe / 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe Revealed - Be The First To See The First Photos / 2018 Lexus RX L Released With Third Row Seat (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help With Hyundai Santa Fe 2002 V6 2.7 L by Nobody: 1:21pm On Nov 11, 2015
Hello,

I need help with my Hyundai Santa Fe 2002 v6 2.7 L. I'll try to give as much detailed explanation of the problem as possible.

Being my first car, I treat it like a baby. I service it every 2 months (I change oil and oil filter). I run to Baba Saheed (my own Kazeem) anytime I hear a strange sound or the movement doesn't feel right. I must confess that beyond the regular servicing, I didn't know much about my car till 3 weeks ago when my car started acting funny.

The problem is that when I start the car cold, it moves very smoothly without problems, but If I have a reason to stop or slow down after about 30 minutes (or the car heats up), it becomes difficult to accelerate. The best way to explain this is that it feels as if I'm trying to move a stationary manual transmission with gear 3 instead of gear 1. When the car picks up speed, it becomes a beast, everything returns to normal; but problem starts again if I have cause to slow down. I sometimes perceive the smell of oil when this happens, but don't know which oil that is. Also, if I happen to drive into a car wash, and I need to climb the elevated washing platform so that they can wash the under properly, the car doesn't have enough power to climb the raised platform. I was in Abeokuta last week, and drove down a sloppy street. When it was time to come out, the car didn't have enough power to drive up the slope again (which was very embarrassing), I had to drive out of the street with reverse (the reverse has full power, if not too much power sef - it can climb anything).

I usually get home very late, so by the time I drive to Baba Saheed the next morning, my car is acting all nice and driving smoothly, so it becomes difficult for him to fully grasp what I'm trying to explain. As a novice, I've spent almost 70k in 2 weeks, and it's pretty obvious the problem hasn't even been touched. I've changed Air Flow Meter, Spark Plugs, Injector Mouth, and Coil just to name a few.

Frustrated, I took to google few days ago, and I almost hid my head in shame when I realized all the basic things I never knew and/or never paid attention to. I'm glad I did cos in few days I can say I've learnt so much. The Hyundai forums have been very helpful also, but I can say I've been able to narrow down the problem to transmission (or so I think).

Before spending another dime on the car (or taking it to Hyundai, which is what I intend doing next), I want to hear from all the car gurus in the house for suggestions based on what I've described above.

NB: My gear oil is dark brownish red in colour, and I can't describe the smell jare. I was advised in the Hyundai forum to drain the gear oil and replace with SP III, Where can I get original SP III in Lagos?

Cc: GAZZUZZ

Re: Help With Hyundai Santa Fe 2002 V6 2.7 L by mayor2013: 7:36pm On Nov 11, 2015
This sounds like a transmission issue. But from your story some is making your transmission and engine over stressed. Not necessarily may it be the culprit. Have you tried running a scan on the car? That should be the first way out. If your transmission oil is blackish and you spent 70k then this is sucidal I must say. Another wasted money embarassed First is to run a scan. Fault errors would be given to you, although from your story I wouldn't rule out the following

1) a blocked exhaust system

2) a low pressured fuel pump

If you need sp111 and you need a solution to your car problem. Call 08156087872 or 08165520837. Bbpin is 7BE1C522

1 Like

Re: Help With Hyundai Santa Fe 2002 V6 2.7 L by sultaan(m): 2:10am On Nov 12, 2015
Dark reddish does not mean that your transmission fluid is bad but it might be due for fresh fluid but since it was working good before mechanic started their business model of operation you need to state if check engine light is on first scan and post the codes most times a several picture of the engine bay will help guide you to troubleshoot.

Transmission fluid level should be checked too

It is not impossible for kazeem to add oil to transmission so you need to ask if mechanic had bee nice and helped you top off the fluid.

Worst case scenario is that was the reason the original owner got rid of it in the first place but since it was working good initially will look to check what mechanic had done things like crossing wires to tune coil will easily take out 2 cylinders
Re: Help With Hyundai Santa Fe 2002 V6 2.7 L by Nobody: 11:20am On Nov 12, 2015
Thanks guys. Will run the scan and post the coedes here.
Re: Help With Hyundai Santa Fe 2002 V6 2.7 L by lordliri(m): 9:53pm On Dec 27, 2021
It's no transmission issue.. It's overheating due to failing radiator fan..

You can check this by running the fan directly if it's currently being regulated by the thermostat. This can serve as a confirmation.. If the overheating and drag stops then u have your fix.

That single radiator fan easily fails on 2002 to 2005, the socket gets burnt or the fan wears out and spins slower than expected. Try and let me know

(1) (Reply)

Forensic Analysis Of Ocholis Accident / 2017 Honda Ridgeline: It's A Pilot But A Pick-up Truck (photos) / Hyundai Elantra 2007

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.