Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,642 members, 7,809,410 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:06 AM

The Next Nigerian Writer Who Should Win The Nobel Prize - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Next Nigerian Writer Who Should Win The Nobel Prize (2780 Views)

Wole Soyinka Receiving The Nobel Prize In 1986 (picture) / Alice Munro Wins The 2013 Nobel Prize For Literature / Chimamanda Adichie: The Next Nigerian Nobel Laureate In Literature? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Next Nigerian Writer Who Should Win The Nobel Prize by Orikinla(m): 6:59pm On Oct 15, 2006
Prof.Wole Soyinka won the Nobel Prize in 1986 and no other Nigerian has won it.
Chinua Achebe would have won it. But after writing only two great novels Things Fall Apart and Arrow of God he seemed to have been held back by the Law of Diminishing Returns. Because his other novels failed to measure up to the genius that wrote the two great novels he even wrote when he was a young man under 30. But as he grew older his genius seemed to have been overwhelmed by the challenges of modern developments.

Another gifted Nigerian novelist who have lagged behind is Kole Omotosho who is now based in South Africa and now more famous as a TV commercial model than as a novelist. What an irony.

The Turkish writer Orhan Pamuk just won the 2006 Nobel Prize for Literature and I won't say he does not deserve it. But one African I know who deserves to be given the Nobel Prize, is Ngugi Wa Thiong'o.

The new crop of dynamic Nigerian novelists from Ben Okri to Chris Abani have been winning laurels and Ben Okri is the next Nigerian writer who should win the Nobel Prize one fine day. He has already won the higly coveted Booker Prize.

Re: The Next Nigerian Writer Who Should Win The Nobel Prize by eslynera(f): 7:01pm On Oct 15, 2006
hokey cheesy
Re: The Next Nigerian Writer Who Should Win The Nobel Prize by Orikinla(m): 7:30pm On Oct 15, 2006
Poet and novelist Ben Okri was born in 1959 in Minna, northern Nigeria, to an Igbo mother and Urhobo father.

In 1991 Okri was awarded the Booker Prize for Fiction for his novel The Famished Road (1991).

I am very proud of him and I thank God for his wonderful life as a highly gifted writer.
Re: The Next Nigerian Writer Who Should Win The Nobel Prize by hollywood: 3:59pm On Oct 25, 2006
grin grin grin

This guy is a Joke. He has fake multiple identities, but everyone knows him well as Onyeka George Nwelue,  a struggling teenage writer obssessed with Achebe. This is what he has written on his many (some say over 20 blogs where he spreads his obsessive rantings about Achebe  cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Onyeka Nwelue said:
Hey, thank you so much for your comment on my blog.

To the colonisation and all stuff, I can say that the British did lots of harm to Nigeria, they made us fall apart and I am sure you read the last post very well, they feel superior,

Yes, I would never dream of becoming Achebe, because to me, he is a coward and deep in my heart, he is a hypocrite. Why would he write Things Fall Apart and still not care about Nigeria, all he does is go on criticising the leaders so much, then dying like a fool in the US, I don't want to talk about him, I hate his guts,
grin

Unhealthy! cheesy
Re: The Next Nigerian Writer Who Should Win The Nobel Prize by Ndipe(m): 9:41am On Oct 26, 2006
Whom are you referring to, Hollywood, cos, the guy you just mentioned is not on this board.

And besides, he won the "British Borders" award that sent him abroad. So, your assessement that he is a 'struggling writer' does not quite apply to his case.
Re: The Next Nigerian Writer Who Should Win The Nobel Prize by newspapers: 4:45pm On Aug 18, 2013
Here are some FREE Literature Books i saw on the web. will research the url and post here.

(1) (Reply)

Marvel Comic Book Thread / 2008-9 Commonwealth Short Story Competition / Can You Hear My Heart?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.